iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wheel bearings

Started by John_Haylow, July 25, 2012, 10:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

I'm thinking about putting the wheel bearings with a grease fitting on my LT40. Just wondering if anyone has done this?
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Chuck White

That's a good idea John.

There is a company out there that makes a product called "Bearing Buddy", which is a good product.

I installed a pair of them on my utility trailer years ago, but the trailer has since been sold.

The product is installed in place of the dust caps.

Just Google "Bearing Buddy" and you'll see what I'm talking about!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

submarinesailor

There are several type/spring pressures.  Make sure you get the right ones because you can over fill/ pressurize them and blow out the seal on the back side. ::) ::) ::)

Bruce

ladylake

It's not really nessecary on mills or trailers as a good packing will last years, on boat trailers it's almost a must.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

davch00

I would stay away from buddy bearing and go with checking and hand packing once a year. I have seen several trailers with buddy bearing and it seems like the outer bearing gets the grease while the inner bearing gets none. The one exception would be if the spindle is drilled so the grease makes it all the way back to the inner bearing. My pontoon trailer has that and its very nice.

steamsawyer

Quote from: ladylake on July 25, 2012, 05:11:16 PM

It's not really nessecary on mills or trailers as a good packing will last years, on boat trailers it's almost a must.  Steve

I worked in a marina back in the 60s. When useing bearing buddys we used to pack the bearings and put the grease seals in backwards to keep the water out. This works well with a hub that gets dunked under water. Putting the seal in backwards keeps the water out but lets the grease go all the way through.

On a regular trailer that doesn't go under water you are better off without the bearing buddys. Just wash out and repack the bearings after 20 to 30 thousand miles.... How often do you repack the front wheel bearings on your car or truck? Not that much difference in size and they have more stress on them with weight and cornering.

Alan

J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

John_Haylow

What got me thinking of this is I have a bearing getting warm on one side of my mill and it may need to be replaced. Then I got thinking about my 3.5 ton tandem dump trailer that has grease fittings from the factory. :-\

John

ladylake

If the bearing is getting warm you better grease it now one way or another. If it has brakes they could be hanging up.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John_Haylow

Quote from: davch00 on July 25, 2012, 06:16:26 PM
I would stay away from buddy bearing and go with checking and hand packing once a year. I have seen several trailers with buddy bearing and it seems like the outer bearing gets the grease while the inner bearing gets none. The one exception would be if the spindle is drilled so the grease makes it all the way back to the inner bearing. My pontoon trailer has that and its very nice.

I talked this over with my mechanic today and he agreed with Dave about the spindle. So he is going check the bearings and hand pack them and also check the brakes.

Thanks guys,
John

Thank You Sponsors!