iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6 bucks for a fuel filter!

Started by Bibbyman, June 14, 2012, 07:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I don't use the MS250 very much. After a year, I still had a good bit of the 2 gallons of gas mix left. Despite putting Sta-Bil in the gas, I guess it went bad.  After the latest refill it started and ran a couple of times but then it would start and run for a few seconds and then would die.  I left it until the next day. It would start and run but at only at low RPM.

I dumped the gas and pulled the filter. I sent Mary to the Stihl store to get a new filter. Over $6.00! That's just crazy! I can buy screw on filter for our Terex for $6.00.

Is there any chance the old filter could be dried out and reused?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

gspren

Spray type carburator cleaner would probably have cleaned it. If my 2 stroke gas gets more than about 2 monthes old I dump it into a tractor and mix a fresh batch.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sawguy21

Aftermarket filters are readily available and fit easily.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bibbyman

Well, fresh gas mix and new filter has not fixed the problem.

I got it started and it still won't rev up. Let off the throttle and it dies. I got it running and kept it running for a few minutes. It still didn't come up to cutting rpm. Died again as soon as I let off the trigger.

I let it set for anout an hour then tried it again. It started maybe on second pull an stuttered a bit,reved up and then died.

I know enough not to mess any further. I got a couple of Stihl guys that can help or advise me. Else it's going in the shop.

Had a Husqvarna that would do anout the same thing a about every 6 months. Yep, hole in gas line, every time. Threw it in the junk pile and bought a Stihl. Finally gave it to a guy with same model Husky for parts. I suspect it still had the original chain still on it - it got so little use.
Sawing since '94

Cut4fun

025 250 and the whole clamshell clan  are known to get unseen cracks in fuel line and act just like this too.  Check fuel lines, impulse line and fuel filter.  All cheap fixes.

Welcome to the world of stealerships.  :D

Bibbyman

When I give a tug on the line with my thumbnail,  I can maybe see a crack in the line behind the second ridge.  My eyesight is not good enough at this distance to tell for sure and as it sucks air, there wouldn't be any gas leak,  I'd think.

Anyway,  off to the shop.

I think some manufactures could just give you a product and then make the money back on repair and maintenance parts!

Beside the point:

My son has a little need for a chainsaw.  He wasn't going to mess around with a cheap one.  I told him for no more than he'd use one to go to Wal-Mart and buy the cheapest saw he figured would do what he needed done.  If it broke during the warrantee period,  take it back.  If it lasted past the warrantee period and failed, throw it away and buy another.   It'd be cheaper than buying an expensive one and then paying to have it repaired. 
Sawing since '94

T Welsh

Bibby, Blame the gas we get now. We have had to do this countless times in the last five years. The ethanol is the gas eats away at the rubber hoses and seals. Stihl parts are almost as bad as John Deere parts, I think we have to pay for the paint :D. Tim

Bibbyman

I'd buy gas without ethanol if I could find some. Here in Missouri the pumps all say "may contain as much as 10% ethanol". I've asked our bulk fuel distributer if they had gas without ethanol. He said they get what they get and don't know if it has ethanol or not.

At a gas station in Licking, Missouri, I've seen a sign saying " no ethanol in our gas".

I blame ethanol for destroying two engines and damaging two others.  And cause problems with several more.
Sawing since '94

lumberjack48

You'd think they could make a rubber hose that ethanol couldn't eat up this day an age, or is it what they want to happen.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Bibbyman

I remember back when I was a kid, dad had a chainsaw that has a fuel filter made out of compressed brass wool. It set in a bowl with a screw on cover. He remove the filter and wash it out with clean gas has then set it aside to dry. 

No plastic or rubber on that saw!

Sorry I don't remember the brand or model.
Sawing since '94

Al_Smith

Even the old gas would eat up hoses given enough time .

Any time you buy OEM parts from a dealer  doesn't make a diff if it's Ford ,Harley D .,Stihl ,John Deere or the almighty Honda or Toyota you're going to pay premium .That's just the way it has been ,is and will be forever and ever ,Amen .

SwampDonkey

I was also going to mention blockage in the gas line. But, since you rarely use the saw, it points to something else going on with the line(s). Up here we can still get ethanol free, just use higher test. I always do anyway. The only line trouble I have had in my Stihl brush saws was dirt in the line somehow. I put new filters in every spring. But the saw lost power one day and I took the lines out forced some air in them, reassembled and like new. Don't know how it got past the filter, but it might have been the real fine stuff like flour sized particles over time. Anyway this saw has cut a lot of acres.  ;D

Reminds me I should take the old girl apart and clean her up. Gets sawdust in the shaft tube and a little dirty in the carb. compartment because it sucks air in through a slot that has a piece of rubber fit over it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Local farmer dropped by with lots of Stihl experiance.  We got the saw running.  Yep,  his guess was carborator.  Said he's replaced one on one saw and two on another.
Sawing since '94

JohnW

Sounds like a deal.  It cost $10 for an air filter for my push mower.  It would have cost $12 something for a John Deer.

two tired

bibby, i am glad you found the truble, i have a 460 acting almost the same way, i was thinking carb but while i am at it i think i will change the fuel line and filter and carb.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Al_Smith

Most times it isn't the carb but the carb innards ,diaphragm and check valves .You can rebuild one for about 10 bucks .Now believe it or not I've seen them go bad within a year .

On the other hand one carb on a little Poulan didn't take a fit on me until last fall .35 years the little thing went until it needed attention .That's got to be a record of some sorts .

You keep that saw gas much over a month dump it in the lawn mower or that saw mill because they don't care .Get ya a fresh batch and the saw will probabley like it much better .

SwampDonkey

Yeah a rebuild kit is nothing much to it, but can make a difference. The micro screens can get that powdery dirt in them. That's all that really goes wrong on the brush saws carbs unless someone ruins the jets from fiddling around. I've replaced mine once in 5 years, but reminds me I should replace it this year actually. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

It sounds hard to believe but little tiny wood fibers will pass through the fuel filter and indeed clog that wire screen.

Bibbyman

We've not got it to the shop to get an official verdict as to what's wrong.

Sometimes you get lucky and things just fix themselves.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Yep, carburetor. Dealer replaced it today.  Runs now.  But smells strong of gas. Hope it's not leaking.
Sawing since '94

Cypressstump

ethanol has ruined many 2 stroke boat motor down here, so much so that there are class action lawsuits from the marine industry about that. Usually fuel lines have innner liner, of which the alcohol eats away at and breaks down that liner. That will either cause a hose to collapse and in worse case the liner will break down into finer particulates which travel through to the carbs or injectors. Once an injector clogs, that cylinder runs lean and fries. There goes a motor, now due for a rebuild. New motors and boats have ethanol rated fuel lines, this is since the year 1998 suspossedly, altho I have found 2000 model boats with non-rated hoses.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Thank You Sponsors!