iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Standard for wooden pallets?

Started by chain, June 13, 2012, 09:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Any of you manufacture wood pallets, is there a standard ?

I had noticed our local seed company sent out 40,  50.lb. bags of seed on one  lite-weight pallet. The slats seemed not much more than 7/16" thick and only three support studs. The pallet [new looking sawn oak] was considerably busted-up and couldn't be serviceable much longer.

thecfarm

Probaly got some cheap pallets. At work they was getting some,"high density softwood pallets"   ::) They was breaking before they got out the door. But than we had some come from a supplier and they uses full inch hardwood for the top. Them pallets were some heavy too pick up by hand. I got a few to stack wood onto.But at least 500 pounds was being sent on them too. I think it's up to the buyer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kansas

There is the industry standard, which is a 40x48 pallet, 4 way. 4 way meaning the runners are notched so you can drive a forklift in from any side. The deck boards are 5/8 thick. Runners are I believe about 1 1/4 or 11/2 thick, though you do see them narrower than that. Beyond that, anything goes for other pallets. We cut a lot of 1/2 inch by 3 1/2 wide by 34 inch long boards for one customer. We build skids for another company that can be anything. We just built one that was over 9 ft wide and close to 20 ft long. 1 1/2 inch solid deck, lag screwed down as well as nailed. We build pallets for that same company that are 40x48 but the runners are 2 1/2 x 3 1/2, with near a near solid top of full 1 inch boards.

It makes no sense to send out seed corn on a pallet like that, given what seed corn is worth. One torn bag could pay for a bunch of good pallets. But, someone in purchasing thought they could save a few bucks by going cheap. As a former boss of mine would say, they crawl over dollars to chase pennies. It happens all the time. If you are wanting to build for them, you might build one you think will stand up. Norm or Faron could estimate what the cost of 2000 lbs of seed corn costs. Build a good sturdy strong pallet, and take it to them. Say, this is what I can provide, it won't break down. Its a long shot that you will get the business. But its worth a shot.

If I remember right, back in my agribusiness days, Pioneer seed pallets had 4 runners and some sturdy top boards. Been a long time ago. Can't say for sure.

Norm

The Pioneer pallets are top notch, built out of hardwoods and thick boards. If I remember right they put 36 bags on each pallet and each bag costs around $300. Kansas is right, you break one bag and it will buy a bunch of good quality pallets.

Cedarman

Seems to be a tad bit of mark up. ??? ???
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

chain

These were soybean bags on the pallet. Some seed companies have gone to a 140,000 seed count per bag, thinking the supplier reasoned he didn't need the standard heavy pallet...and yes..two bags of beans were pinched, spilling the contents.

I know Pioneer and most large seed companies always want their pallets returned[most seed handled now in bulk containers], can't imagine my supplier wanting this scrap pallet returned..another thro-a-way.

Pallets make a darn good fish attractor. I shove evergreen limbs or green willow inside the pallet and allow to float with anchor and/or sink in place.

Frickman

chain,

That was a single trip, throwaway pallet that the company didn't expect, or want back. As was posted above, some bean counter tried to save a dollar. A pallet being used in a closed loop system, where the initial user expects to see it agin, will typlically be built alot better. Just look at CHEP rental pallets and how they are built.

A pallet user who purchases a one trip, throwaway pallet looks at it as an expense. A pallet user who purchases a well made, returnable, reusuable pallet looks at it as an investment.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!