iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Battery Died

Started by Magicman, June 13, 2012, 07:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

In regards to Optima batteries.  One of two batteries in my Ford Deisel died and made the big step towards an Optima.  The optima died in 2 years and the other battery which is now about 8-9 years old is just fine.  In fact the optima had the shortest life of any battery I have ever owned, so for me, I cannot bring my self to spend 50% or more for a battery that gives only 25%.   Not bashing, just my experience.

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

wwsjr

I have been using NAPA on my mill for the last few years primarily due to a good friend being the local dealer, he also sells and services Stihl. I get about 2 to 2 1/2 years before replacement. I do not run hyd unless engine is running. I am a good battery customer with mill, Ford dually diesel, Tacoma pickup, 2 knucklebooms mounted on trucks, tractor, two lawn mowers, and my wife's car. 11 batteries to keep going.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

clww

Quote from: batteryman on June 13, 2012, 11:02:37 PM
Don't want to get to far off topic.   But my dad has always been fascinated with lumber and I have always been fascinated with portable bandsaws and making sawdust.   After having 50 mbf ( I think I used that right that is 50000)cut on bandmills over the last 10 yrs.  Thought it was time to buy a mill.   I am blessed to have 500 acres of mt land in highland co Va and 200 in fort sibert WVA. Needles to say we have a lot of trees.   Getting ready to saw 20,000 bf of hemlock mainly 2 in. stuff but some weather boarding. Think I will start a new thread getting way off topic.
You and I really should meet, soon! Read my profile address. Welcome to the Forestry Forum, neighbor.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Don_Papenburg

I have had good luck with my optimas
the ones in my pickup were going on 12 years when i parked it to replace king pins when i had time :D.  last year the air compressor would not start ,just click so i ordered a new one and got the same response .  I thought thart I would clean up the old batt and put it back in saving the new one for something else.  anyway the date was 11 years and a few months .  So that one is going strong at twelve years plus and counting , I would hate to have to replace it in two years .
I was always told to never replace only one battery in a set of two or more because it shortens the life of both batteries .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

batteryman

The rule we use in my shop is we do not like to mix batteries that are more than a yr old.  We have had bad luck doing this.  Also, the AGM seem to really shine in extreme applications.  We have found in normal application not worth the difference in price. 
Timberking B-20
Husqvarna 394XP, 372XP, 371XP, 254XP, 55 Rancher, 338XPT and a Sthil MS 361

Magicman

WM pdf on batteries and alternators.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

MM:
Thanks for posting that pdf file.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

hackberry jake

My mill just has a lawnmower battery... And I thought that was a pretty big improvement over the string with a handle.  ;)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bogue Chitto

I just had to put two of those in my truck MM.  $180.00  :'(

Magicman

Yup, I just had to put one in my old Oliver backhoe, "Fat Albert".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Looks like I have to go buy a battery now too. :-\ Mine is one of those long skinny ones.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_bb

I have heard of problem with some Red Top Optimas 8+ to 10+ years ago, but have not had a problem myself.  I am running 6 Optima 12V redtops right now in my 2 daily drivers, my two mowing tractors, and 2 classic cars.  5 of them are 6+ years old.  Having one last 7 years is doing well in my opinion.  I've had one fail, that was 6 years old.  I had one that I was at fault for- I accidentally let it completely discharge and didn't notice it for a long time.  It could not be saved.  I am definitely an advocate of Optima Red tops.  I use Battery Tenders on all my vehicles that are not daily drivers.

Why would you choose a Yellow Top(deep cycle) in a mill and not a red top(starter)?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Cypressstump

Humm,,, the three in my boat are all blue tops, 2 troller deep cycles and the starter is blue as well. Pehaps they have changed up their color schemes. or,,, I'm not color blind , am I. ;)

alos, the optimas are finicky about what chargers are used on them I was told. I use a digital trickle down to maintain 3 bank Pro Mariner that the Optima rep sid was compatible.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Magicman

Maybe batteryman will give us a rundown about the Red, Yellow, and Blue tops  ???

DouginUtah

Jeff, if I remember correctly that is an E3 battery.

Let me tell a story about batteries and Jeff's mill. When I owned it the battery died and I bought a new one but didn't install it right away. It sat on the concrete garage floor for a few weeks.

Jeff later told me that that new battery died shortly after he bought the mill from me. I was surprised. Now he needs a new battery after, what is it Jeff, six years?

Since I bought that new battery I have been told that you should never leave a battery sitting on a concrete floor as it will ruin it. I don't understand why that would be.  ???
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

hackberry jake

I have heard the same thing about concrete.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

shelbycharger400

the battery sitting on the concrete is a myth.   plastic is an awsome insulator
the only way a battery will discharge is dirt and water on the outside of the battery to make a connection.
the other KNOWN thing is batterys Will freeze if not fully charged,  happens a lot on a cold garage wall.

seems around here in the arctic , reg car batterys, if you can make them last 2 years your doing good.   the best ones are the ones the car leaves the factory with.   trust me i have replaced a lot of them back working for chrysler.     walmart neverstarts..  about 2 to 3 yrs is all their good for.  made by exide i believe.

those napa batterys...  buddys brother had one of those agm napa's,  it lasted about 10 years.  they completely dead killed it several times by leaving it hooked up in a car.
well.. they hooked up 2 or 3 batterys in parallel,  put the HD battery charger on it,  usually it was overnight.. all were fully charged, good to go

want a contact number for a battery manufacturer
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Magicman

Quote from: DouginUtah on June 15, 2012, 07:52:43 PM
Since I bought that new battery I have been told that you should never leave a battery sitting on a concrete floor as it will ruin it. I don't understand why that would be.  ??? 

It doesn't be.  There is no current flowing from the inside of the battery, through the battery case, and to concrete, the metal battery box, or anywhere else.  Current (electrons) flow from one pole to the other and both poles are inside of the battery.

batteryman

Jeff if your battery is about 19 in long and 4 in wide.  It is either a 3EH 6 volt or 3ET 12 volt.   I would guess a 3 ET.

The differences between the optma's are yellow and blue are basically the same battery.  The yellow has side and top post and the blue has top and stud post.  They are both deep cycle batteries.  This means they can be pulled down and charged back without damaging them.   The are designed this way.  The red is a cranking battery meant to be used in regular applications.  Like a car or truck without big draws like a stereo system or winch.  Reds are normally cheaper because they don't have as much lead in them.  All are great batteries when used in the proper applications
Timberking B-20

batteryman

The concrete I feel is a myth.  Here is my explanation.  A battery becomes less efficient the colder it gets.  If memory serves me right a battery at 32 degrees only has 60 percent of it power.   So a battery sitting on concrete is going to be colder than one on a shelf making it less powerful.  Also as a battery gets colder it loses charge faster.  Once a battery gets so low in charge damage starts to be done.   Back to keep your batteries charged up if you want them to last.  At are shop we leave batteries on concrete all the time no problems.

A couple tricks if you have a dead battery.  Tricks don't work all the time.  First if battery is weak try to start twice in a row then wait two to five minutes try again.  The first try will jolt the battery and it may recover enough charge to get you started.   If it is cold out side and it won't start.   Try warming the battery up.  No open flames or sparks may cause an explosion.

Timberking B-20

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on June 15, 2012, 09:54:52 PM
It doesn't be.

Grammatically abhorent, but consice, and to the point. I like it!  :D

Magicman

On here, one never knows.  We just go with the flow.   :)

hackberry jake

Quote from: Magicman on June 15, 2012, 10:54:14 PM
On here, one never knows.  We just go with the flow.   :)
Of electrons!  :D

Thank You Sponsors!