iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading logs

Started by Indiana Robinson, June 11, 2012, 07:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Robinson

I was looking for something else and ran across this picture of a sled load of logs about half way down this page. Scares me.  ;D
http://agrariannation.blogspot.com/2012/02/february-1854-1855-1856-1857-1868.html

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

Anderson

That's a pretty wild picture!

I have been reading a few of Eric Sloane's book's and he make's reference to that pic in a few of them.
He claim's there was 16 cord's on that jack sled :o

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: Anderson on June 11, 2012, 07:28:16 PM
That's a pretty wild picture!

I have been reading a few of Eric Sloane's book's and he make's reference to that pic in a few of them.
He claim's there was 16 cord's on that jack sled :o

I have read some of his books. He paints great pictures with a pen.  :) :)

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

Magicman

I wonder if any of the really wild pictures are actually staged for the camera  ???  I am not saying, just wondering.  That would be kinda 1868 "photo shopping".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Onthesauk

Staged or not, how did they ever get them up that high?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

leroy in kansas

Quote from: Onthesauk on June 11, 2012, 09:25:22 PM
Staged or not, how did they ever get them up that high?

In the pic, it apears they are loading with rope. The log hanging on the left side looks like it has the ropes in place. Don't know where this log is going to go though. ??

Anderson

Quote from: Magicman on June 11, 2012, 07:55:20 PM
I wonder if any of the really wild pictures are actually staged for the camera  ???  I am not saying, just wondering.  That would be kinda 1868 "photo shopping".

It's interesting you say that..I did a little research into the picture Indiana posted and while I believe that the horses did move that load there was a competition amongst logging camps of that era to see who could deck the biggest load onto a single sleigh.
Here's the link.
http://www.mcmillanlibrary.org/rosholt/wi-logging-book/wilogging/images/00000009.pdf
Some pretty amazing stuff in there.

I think the biggest load that was moved by horses was 31,480 board feet pulled by 4 horses for 1 mile. :o :o

hardtailjohn

Yah, they'd pull it. The horses will be sharp shod and are used to working... they know how to pull right and that sled is well shined up on the runner bottoms. Once it's moving, it's very easy to keep moving on a sled. Our old feed sled with about a ton and a half of hay on it, could be moved by one hand if the going was right.. . but like was said... stopping it is another story. I'd imagine there'd be a runner lock chain on every corner.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

bandmiller2

That picture was staged,theirs no economy in a load like that,the time and finess to load it two or three normal loads could be hauled.One runner in a rut and you loose it all.Bet just out of sight was a stiff leg to load.It is impressive though and that photo will last forever. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sixacresand

I wonder how many sledding trip up the hill it took before they moved the mill to the bottom of the hill.  Just a thought.  Reminds me of the episode on Bonanza, where Hoss somehow acquired an elephant and used it to sled logs.  Before that Hoss pull the sled and Little Joe rode on the sled.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

5quarter

I too thought those photos were all staged, as there are plenty of pictures of horses looking ready to pull those loads, but not so many actually doing it. It turns out though that there is a science to building and moving those large loads that made it very efficient for smaller mills when extracting prime timber from hard to reach areas. Loads larger than the one pictured were routine in some areas. Some time ago, I read a detailed, first-hand account of this type of logging which was a transcript of a 1930's or 40's oral interview currently in a state historical archive. I wish I could recall which state...maybe someone here has read the same transcript and can link to it.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

wdtik

I've always been facinated by early day logging and the tales
from the men who were part of it.  I learned tree falling from
one such man known as "Frenchy" one heck of a great guy.  He was
from MI came west to log.. anyway this site has
some great pics of large loads of logs..

http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/troufs/Buffalo/PB39.html

shelbycharger400

54 logs   look to be 18 to 24 in dia,  at least 10 ft

Yep, the animals were expendable ,  that load should have had atleast 2 more hay burners

somewhere around 50,000 lbs im guessing on the sled.     i dont think 2 horses should be pullin that.

Magicman

I enjoyed that link wdtik.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

I can see loading that for a staged photo, but what about unloading it?  A guy up there with a peavy rolling logs is great until the whole pile goes.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

beenthere

I suspect they use pike poles to get the top logs rolled off. But don't know that for sure. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodchuck53

Years ago I had the oppurtunity to work 21 and 7 in The Land Of Lakes. The bucket truck was DOT so I had down time on the weekends. As it turns out I had found a replica of a logging camp mueseum and went and spent the day there one Saturday. The care taker explained that during the early winter they would take a sled up thru the logging area with heavy and wide runners. These cut the furrows for the water wagon. This sled was a tanker and they would build up the ice in these furrows during the winter harvest. They made those huge loads because it was easy for the teams to move them. They had another sled fixed up to carry hay and a crowd of young boys to walk along with the loads and put hay down as a type of brake when the areas were to steep. He said they would log all winter in bad areas that they couldn't get in during the spring and summer because of marshy terrain.

I found it interesting that the best built shelter in those camps were the barns for the animals. They had tighter living quarters than the wood cutters. The job depended on the animals to haul it out. A good team was more valuable than the cook and he was more so than the men he cooked for. The place had a collection of wicked looking axes and early power saws. They had hunters with them for the shooting of game and to keep the larger critters off the crews. I have a picture some where at home of my baseball cap setting inside of a bear trap with room to spare on all sides.

It was a good visit and he also explained that they would set poles against the load and use another team to roll the log up on the stack. It looked scary as heck to me. Hope this ramblin on shed so light on this post.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

thecfarm

My Father use to haul out wood on a small scale with horses. He talked about the hay too. After so many trips the hay he would have to take the hay back to the top of the hill. Logging sure has changed. Pulp don't have to be peeled,can be 8 foot,tree lenght,don't have to be 4 foot. Trucks are not loaded by man or horse power.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

The giant redwoods were in no great danger until the advent of the steam donkey and later power saws. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave VH

bionic horses? or do all of those dudes have to get behind it and push too?
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!