iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Easy blade fix

Started by Chuck White, June 11, 2012, 09:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Sawing some road side trees lately!

I was sawing a 24 inch X 14 foot White Pine butt log and it had a bunch of "State Land" signs on it from over the years.

Well I pulled all of them off and figured I had all of the nails too.

I had it on the mill, leveled and ready to start cutting, well I hit a nail before I was into the log 2 feet.

I finished the cut and made up my mind that even though there were marks on the cant, that I was going to remove all of the slabs before I changed  the blade!

We took a short break before turning the log and, the nail strike was visible between the blade roller guides and I got to thinking about it and figured the marks were caused by nail pieces stuck on the teeth.

I took a 3-cornered file and picked all of the little curls of "nail" off of the teeth.  Well low and behold, I cut another 600 board feet of good quality lumber before changing the blade.

Sometimes things just seem to work out!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bedway

Good fact to know. Next nail i hit ill check for that. Worst thing ive hit so far was a stainless cable in a log. Talk about ruining a band. I had services and said a few words over that poor band. :D

Chuck White

I was really surprised after picking the pieces of metal off of the teeth.

There was barely a stray mark on the lumber, that blade cut just like new!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

nas

I often do that if I am sawing a log and think I haven't hit the last nail in that log.  Picking the metal bits off will often make the blade usable at least for the rest of the log.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!