iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One Eye

Started by Autocar, August 02, 2012, 06:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

With only one every now and then I will miss judge the lean of a tree, She set down on my saw and I drove two wedges in but wouldn't lift it at all. I drove the skidder out to the landing and got the another saw and under cut it enough to releave the pressure on the other saw bar. Backed the skidder along side the tree and stood on the grapple arch and put my cable around it and ran my line out. Started to pull real slow so I wouldn't break it off and she started coming over but I must of gave her a little to much because it fell right along the side of the skidder instead of following the notch thanks goodness for inclosed cab. I bucked it off and pulled it out to the landing the 16 foot butt log had 944 bd. ft. and I cut two other logs off the top. Ive been taking plenty of pictures of all the jobs Ive been doing this summer, one of these days I'll figure out this picture posting and will flood you with Autocars logging jobs  ;D
Bill

mills

I'm glad it worked out in the end.

It does make me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one that scews up on occasion.  ;D

Ohio_Bill

Sounds like one big tree.  I try to always place wedges when cutting because I have had my saw stuck in several trees. Just last week I had to unbolt the bar and pull the tree over because I should have placed a wedge.  Was the tree an oak?   
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Autocar

Yes there all big swamp white oak and some white oak, most of them are dead or dying. A little farther north I cut every oak in the woods because they were dead. With all the ash dying and the oaks not sure what we will have in the future. The Department of Forestry is saying west central ohio is in a ecology change and evrything will dy and young trees will replace all the old grouth. And I carry and set wedges every day BBBBBBut I thought I knew where this one was going  ;D but it had a mine of its own.
Bill

fishpharmer

Bill, you must be living right.  That was a close call.  Glad you are okay.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ianab

A longer cable maybe? I prefer it to be slightly longer then the tree is tall  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

Old One Eye. Ya, I think I remember her, but that was a long time ago.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

I have 2 good eyes and I still get into a mess.   :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

I have 4 eyes (glasses) and still get into messes! My hindsight is usually 20/20, though. ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lumberjack48

No matter how good we think we are sooner or later a guys going to stick his saw, felling or bucking up, but it still P'd me off, what was i thinkng  :o >:( :-[
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

saltydog

Im also a one eyed logger lost mine to a springpole cutting pulpwood i was 19.how did you loose yours?I always tell my kids i got my eye on you.my good eye.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Autocar

New Years Eve 8:30 at night, ten above zero on the landing with a flashlite beating a bearing race off a skidder drive line. Chip broke off the race and the rest is history. And to be honest I still have a tuff time wearing safty glasses because they steam up so bad. Ianab I have a hundred feet of 3/4 inch main line but to many trees the skidder is ten feet wide and trees were so close togather I ran out of running room.
Bill

thecfarm

With one eye,I would be real careful with that one. I have glasses that I wear. Mine are safety glasses with the side shields that can be removed. I really like mine. If I have to grind or do whatever,cut wood too,no reason to put on another pair. Yes,they are pricey,but my convenience is worth something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!