iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sockets

Started by kenskip1, June 10, 2012, 02:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

I have a question about Harbor Freight sockets.I am in need of a set of 1/2 drive impact sockets. My local harbor freight has these at a reasonable price. The question is are they worth what they want? I am not a fan of this company but the warranty is good.These are the thick deep well sockets in the dull black finish.I will be using them on mostly tire removal and some front end repair.. Thanks, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

DaveP

I have set and use them for about the same thing you want them for.  So far they have been good.

daveP

Dave VH

I broke one with a breaker bar on a lug nut once.  But they seem to hold up to just impact use which is what I guess that they are designed for.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

shelbycharger400

i have a set of metric and standard from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.  i have had them cince 1996 or so and i worked on cars for a living.  ive lost a few in frames and only broke one or 2.        in 2005  i bought in a jam deep well sockets from matco, 10mm to 22mm  for $300 LOL.

sawguy21

I have used the cheap off shore made tools if I needed one for a special job and am unlikely to use it often. As far as impact sockets, NO!! They withstand a lot of stress when used for their intended purpose, if one shatters it could cause injury.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

More than likely you'll get about what you pay for .

If you just need a few sizes  just go to Sears and buy them .They aren't the best but they'll get the job done and if they fail at least you can get another one.

bill m

I bought a set of metric and a set of fractional from Sears. Price was good and lifetime warranty.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Al_Smith

I've never had any problems with Sears stuff other than the nosey rascals always want my phone number which they never get .That has nothing to do with the products though .

As far as impact sockets I have them by the 5 gallon bucket full .Discontinued stock from the auto industry that had they not been reclaimed might have been converted to a bumper on a Toyota or something .

I think at times some of that imported stuff must be recyled steel beer cans left over from 1956 or something as soft as they are .

deerslayer

Regarding HF impact sockets, I have a set of HF 1/2" drive SAE deep well sockets that I have used frequently for 15 plus years. I never broke one. Now, on the other hand, I had a set of HF 1/2" drive Metric deep well sockets that would break all the time. HF is good about changing them out but I finally quit replacing them because they would just break again. So I bought a set of Ingersol Rand metric sockets (Asian made by the way) and haven't ever broken one of those in the last 10 years.

The HF metric sockets were noticeably thinner than the SAE. Probably a different vendor.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

mad murdock

Quote from: deerslayer on June 25, 2012, 11:07:41 PM

The HF metric sockets were noticeably thinner than the SAE. Probably a different vendor.
Prolly Ch. Ina Co, or mebbe CHI.Na Inc. ;D either way you get what you pay for.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!