iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Historic

Started by Jonas, March 01, 2004, 10:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas

This is a real nice site and I guess I haven't gone over it all yet, but this old guy who only cuts firewood has wondered about why there isn't a forum heading for "Historic".  
I had thought about scanning and posting some 'Pennsylvania sawmill account pages' from my Grandpops ledgers when he operated a sawmill near Williamsport, Pa. in the 1800s.  I guess the only interest would be comparing prices then and now for supplies?  My Grandmother did all the cooking for the whole crew and in her spare time raised seven kids.  The family sawmill shut down just before WW I when Pop Pop went to work at the Phila. navy yard.  His skills were more in demand there.  
   On that note, I got to wondering about the Taber and Klien books on logging and logging railroads in Pennsylvania.  I picked them up quite some time ago, but notice that a search brings up reprints of most of them at http://www.fathernaturetrees.com/logging.htm
I don't have all of them.  The books that are not hard bound and really only large pamphlets of a sort, show some nice photos, particularly of the logging railroad engines with crews etc.  
Jonas

Corley5

Got any pics of the family mill?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jonas

Jonas

No.  Wish I did.  All of the kids have died off and unless a grandchild somewhere does, I guess I never will.

Bro. Noble

Hi Jonas,

Look around a little more and you will find a bunch on old time milling and logging.  There's a bunch of us that are really interested in that kind of stuff.  Tell us as much as you can about your family operation,  We're interested. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jonas

Can't do it right away but I'll scan some stuff and give a URL to get to it.  Maybe some of it will be of interest.
Jonas

chet

I love dat old stuff.   8)  Looking forward to anything you can provide.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

ADfields

A historic board may be a good addition for us. :P   We have the old pix thread but it's getting on the big side now and some times hard to find even for us that know it's in there someplace.

Jonas, take a look at this link, it's a short 18 pages of old neat stuff now. ;)   And welcome aboard the Forum!! 8)
Andy

Historic Logging and Milling Photos
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1035141284

Thank You Sponsors!