iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Saw Bits in the Blade

Started by snowshoveler, June 09, 2012, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowshoveler

For some time I have been struggeling with a flat belt that will squeel and slip when in a good sized cut on my belsaw.
Sometimes if I get a little to carried away it will actually spin the belt right off.
Small logs and boards are no trouble, but when cutting over 10 or so inches its tricky.
A lot of my logs are 20 plus inches on the small end.
So you understand I have been very carefull for the most part.
I file carefully and even hold up a new bit to the bits I am filing to be sure I have the angle right.
Just because I am curious I put in a new set of bits this evening.
Rolled on a big white pine...and WOW.
Totally different saw. Could saw wide open with the blade burried in the log.
I can finally use the power that my old Cat has available.
Everyone here and in the books says to start out with new bits and go from there.
I never had trouble with crooked lumber or binding or anything, just the belt issues.
Oh well I am still learning and like they say if you don't learn a little something every day you are going backwards.
Regards Chris

International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

shelbycharger400

from what i have read..   you cant mix new and used bits

just like everything else.. all teeth have to be the same length and profile.

that goes from band blade to a hand saw to circle blades and chain saw chain.

b dukes

What type of carriage drive do you have?  Mine is v-belts. I can tell the condition of my bits by the feel of the feed.  Mine don't have to get all that dull before you have to really push on the feed lever for it to go through the log. When I first started sawing with mine I thought I had some issue with the carriage drive but I had hit something that dulled the saw and didnt know it. It would cut about a foot into the log and stop. I didn't check the bits at first because I had just sharpened them. As I walked behind the mill I noticed the sawdust on the ground had changed from small chips to a finer dust. Just like you , I changed the bits and my problem was gone. I hand file mine , but as soon as I can I want to buy a Dexter saw file guide to help keep the bits sharpened properly.

Ron Wenrich

A lot of times, when you hand file, you'll get the angle of the tooth face off a bit.  When your tooth gets too fat, you won't cut as well.  The other thing I've always noticed is that short teeth generally get dull a lot quicker than a long tooth. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Shoveler, get rid of that flat belt and go "V",I know their expensive but will really harness the old cat.Five or six "C" or"D" series belts and she no slippa.Due to the cost you must find used,many times you can find what you need on old commercial air compressors. Keep looking. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

snowshoveler

I have got the v belt pulleys that I scrounged here and there.
Have a 50 pound box of pillow block bearings as well.
The V belts are going to happen, just waiting to find the belts.
So far I have not been able to make the Cat grunt, and I must say the cat only sips fuel
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

SPD748

On those v belts, go banded. That eliminates any chance of one or two belts being a little short or long. From the information that I've read, they are superior to a series of single belts.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

bandmiller2

Being a scrounger is probibly the number one requirement to being a mill operator,good luck Chris. Frank C.

BBK

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on June 09, 2012, 10:15:51 PM
A lot of times, when you hand file, you'll get the angle of the tooth face off a bit.  When your tooth gets too fat, you won't cut as well.  The other thing I've always noticed is that short teeth generally get dull a lot quicker than a long tooth.

Agree with Ron X 2. It takes a lot of practice to hand sharpen a head saw. I was in my thirties before Dad would let me do more than whet up the bits. The whole mill crew could tell which one of us sharpend the saw. Mine usually made the power unit governor kick in early, Dad's rarely made it bark it cut so smooth.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

bandmiller2

Unless a sawyer really tries the bits seem to get less and less hook and are punching the wood out insted of cutting.  Frank C.

SPD748

As a new sawyer myself, I must ask: What do you guys recommend for sharpening bits?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

snowshoveler

I sharpened mine a couple times and really thought I was doing a great job.
After I replaced the bits ...it seems that I really suck at sharpening the bits.
For me I think I will either get someone else to do it or get a proper sharpener.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Ron Wenrich

I hand file most times, but I use a Jockey grinder on my after lunch filing to keep my tooth angle consistent.  The Dexter file guide is also very good if you don't have electric.

reride82

I have been using a Jockey grinder with good results so far.
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

bandmiller2

I have thought about making an electric grinder to freashen up my bits.A unit that would swing in and out and was fastened in the same location accurately. You would swing it in then move the saw slightly until the bit kisses the wheel,swing out and go to the next bit. Frank C.

steamsawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 13, 2012, 07:16:39 AM
I have thought about making an electric grinder to freashen up my bits.A unit that would swing in and out and was fastened in the same location accurately. You would swing it in then move the saw slightly until the bit kisses the wheel,swing out and go to the next bit. Frank C.

I found this at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago with your idea in mind.

I'll take the grinder head off and build a mounting bracket that will swing out of the way. A guide roller to hold it square with the blade surface and keep the blade from deflecting from side to side. Also a guide pin to locate it relative to the gullet.

Who knows when this will happen?... But that's the plan.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Ron Wenrich

Sounds like an Andrus electric grinder.  I use one of those on the vertical edger.  Basically, its a drill with a grinder stone on it.  You mount it on the saw, and you use a lever to secure it.  The drill swings out of the way, so you pull it in and it slides on a shaft to sharpen the tooth. 

BBK

I use the Dexter Guide in the morning and at lunch to keep the angle and rake set properly. Usually whet up the saw when we empty the skids, once in the mid-morning and once in themid- afternoom. If the logs are dirty its more often and Hickory, well thats where you can get some real practice sharpening!
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

Tripp

Tried shapening by hand for a year or two. Now I use a Dexter guide. It made a big difference. I still have alot to learn though.

Tripp

Thank You Sponsors!