iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw chain full cutters

Started by Ford_man, June 09, 2012, 06:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_man

I have a small wood processor and would like to try a chain that has a cutter every tooth . It is a .315 chain with 66 drivers. I saw one about 30 yrs ago that the guy at the shop mad up him self but it took a lot of power, I have a lot of power and thought it would work on my machine. Are there any place that I might be able to get one.
Thanks Ed splitwood_smiley

lumberjack48

What kind of chain are you running now ?

What are you using for power ?
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

They called that "full house " chain .As far as  I know it was never commercially made up as such .

As I  understand it the stuff was an experiment by some of the west coast racers .Rotax Robert had some and a few others .

Now I suppose you could buy a chunk of bulk chain and disassemble it and respin it but you'd have about 5 times the price of a normal chain in it .Not to mention a whole lot of time involved .

Clam77

I did some looking... they DO make it commercially.......... HOWEVER....... it's made as a carbide chain for fire and rescue.  It's expensive as all hail.    :-\

http://www.diamondbackfire.com/content/product_page.php?product_id=116#

http://www.carbidechain.com/cobracarbidechain.php

On that second link there, a 20" Cobra Carbide Chain in .404 x .063 with 66 Drivers is $358.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

CTYank

Never heard of .315" pitch chain. Maybe you mean .325"?

Still don't know what you mean by "full cutters." Do you mean that there are more cutters than on "full comp" chain? Picture would be appreciated to see where the cutters got jammed in.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

HolmenTree

The "full house" chain has been sold commercially for a long long time. Windsor introduced the "Timber King" Full House in or around 1970 in semi chisel 3/8", it was called 50,58,63 AF it was designed for industrial soft metal cutting.
My old friend Walt Galer who was Windsor's technical services manager gave me a couple of loops of it when I field tested his product back in the 1980s.

I have made up full house 1/4" for my carving saws, makes really nice smooth detail.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

Stihl has such a chain , a cutter on every tie strap. 1.3mm low profile .
Its like a Picco chain.
It was developed for use on small saws for harvesting bamboo and other fibrous wood.
They had some loops on trial here a couple of years ago.
I could get you the part number.

Joe

Ford_man

Thanks for all the info. Yes it is a .325 chain. As for Hp I power it with My 4020 JD tractor Lots of power. I may consider the carbide chain, the problem would be to sharpen it when it got dull.
Thanks Ed splitwood_smiley 

Al_Smith

:D Did you say power it with a 4020 JD or are my eyes playing tricks on me again ? :D

I think pole saw chain is full house to .

Art Martin they claim back in the day made up full house .He also had some of the most odd stuff I ever saw .Two cutters back to back with a space then two more etc .I've never seen the chain just the pictures .

lumberjack48

Baileys have what you need to sharpen with

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=diamond%20grinding&CatID=9797&fullsite=Y

I had the Vise-grip hand chain breaker, I'd set and break a hole chain in to pieces, to put in my parts box. So that i always had what i needed to fix a chain.

I could-of put a full house together pretty quick with a pair of them. I knew a lot of guys couldn't use the Vise grip chain breaker, just didn't have the nak.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46605&catID=
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

HolmenTree

That's how I made my fullhouse 1/4" carving chain loops, with the Grandberg vise grip breaker/ spinner.
Nice comfortable chair, everything up close easy peasy.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Tramp Bushler

Actually Bailey's used to sell Extra full comp chain.  It was chisel bit as I remember.  Several or a few years ago they sold a jig you would mount on your bar.  and the other part of it on a large beam or stack of rafter stock,  ( 2×10 ) ect.  you would set it up for the angle/ angles you wanted cut and zoom it would make a nice smooth cut with very little splintering.  I didn't buy any but thot the idea was sound .. They may still carry the chain.  .It was not carbide and not much more spendy than regular full comp.
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Al_Smith

Baileys must have had a couple box cars full of odd ball stuff they moved several years back .Fact I bought the last of some .404 by ,058 chisel skip they had on hand .

There were bars ,parts ,about anything you could imagine .

Ward Barnes

Quote from: lumberjack48 on June 11, 2012, 04:06:21 PM
Baileys have what you need to sharpen with

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=diamond%20grinding&CatID=9797&fullsite=Y

I had the Vise-grip hand chain breaker, I'd set and break a hole chain in to pieces, to put in my parts box. So that i always had what i needed to fix a chain.

I could-of put a full house together pretty quick with a pair of them. I knew a lot of guys couldn't use the Vise grip chain breaker, just didn't have the nak.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46605&catID=

Howdy:  On e-bay there is a guy selling odd lots of chainsaw stuff from an old chainsaw store he purchased.  One lot was a 6 pound box of short bits of saw chain as well as individual links.    God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Al_Smith

Every so often if you really watch flea bay some interesting things pop up .I once bought at least 40 pounds of new old stock chain for little of nothing .Old vintage stuff including 4-5 loops of new 1/2" chipper chain .I probabley gave 20 pounds of it away .

You know it's kind of after while you get in the "loop " so to speak .People often run into deals where they buy out the remaining stock of a saw shop and have tons of stuff they peddle for little of nothing .I get a couple calls a year from a guy in Pa over such stuff .Matter of fact just a week ago at a saw GTG I got some stuff on the cheap from a couple of gents that held their hands up too long at an auction .Ya know they make a little money in the deal and you get stuff on the cheap and are both happy . :)

Thank You Sponsors!