iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things I Learned Today Part II: The Sequel

Started by Delawhere Jack, June 09, 2012, 06:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Just got home from my first portable sawing job. 240bf + of cherry. I am so glad that I bought a mill! I wish I'd done it years ago. It was a good learning experience, and we did produce some very nice boards for the customer. Much of it was in the 16" range, and some pushing 19" (one edge live). So, he's are a few things I learned:

A Logrite cant hook beats the pants off of brute force effort.
A Logrite ch is nice, but a forklift is nicer.
An 800lb log is a piece of cake for a 3200lb winch (hand cranked).
The word "ZING" is the perfect word to describe the sound of a nail strike, even the customer knew what happened.
You guys with hydraulic mills are CHEATING!  ;D
Figure out how much water, per person you think you should bring, then triple it.
A little 13HP Honda WILL cut 18-20" semi dry logs, BUT IT AINT GONNA BE HAPPY ABOUT IT! :-[
Parbuckling works great! (Thanks FF members!)
If you're going to need to move your mill, do  the log out in the open first, then work in the shady area at high noon.... :'(
60 cents/bf is NOT enough to charge for milling knarly logs, if it aint nice and purty, quote an hourly rate..... :'(
You're first day milling...still learning the ropes, is MUCH more rewarding than fixing computers for naggy old legal secretaries!
I want an LT40.......
Cherry really is a beautiful wood...I already knew that, but I think it's even more beautiful when it's first cut.

And perhaps the most important thing I learned today. I kinda knew this going in, but I got confirmation today. People who hire sawyers tend to be some if the finest people you'd ever want to meet. They're a cut above the average Joe. I underpriced the job today, and I told him that I could do it in about half the time that it actually ended up taking. He never complained, and we kept at it until it was done. I know that he missed going to some event with his daughter because the job ran long, so I was giving him some breaks while tallying the footage. The total, including $25 for a blade came out to $169. He went to the house as I was finishing packing up, he came back and paid me $200.

He knew that I'd under bid the work, and most people would have thought that they'd just hit the lottery, and they got a great bargain. But this guy KNEW and APPRECIATED the effort I put in, and the VALUE that he got.

I think I'm going to enjoy being a sawyer.

Jack.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on a successful first job! 8) 8)  You have no idea how much guilt I feel over my "cheating". ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

paul case

I hear a reoccuring theme of your post.
Good job on this lil job. Keep in mind that your real product should be more happy customers.
PC

PS. I may be a cheater but I earned my bands on a manual mill. Cheating is much more expensive than not cheating. BTW another FF rule is ''no pictures? it didn't happen''.
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Delawhere Jack

It happened.....

That log is about as gnarly as the other two. But It was still a GOOD DAY!!!!  :)

customsawyer

Sounds like a great day. It don't matter how long you have been sawing or how many bf you have cut you can still under estimate a job.
We are not cheating. My grandmother taught me smarter not harder. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: customsawyer on June 10, 2012, 05:15:13 PM
Sounds like a great day. It don't matter how long you have been sawing or how many bf you have cut you can still under estimate a job.
We are not cheating. My grandmother taught me smarter not harder. ;D

That may be, but I think if she caught you towing your tractor AND your mill in tandom, I think she might take the switch to you! :o

thecfarm

I'd would like to be a cheater too.   :D  Just have so much money. But I don't use my mill much. Just for my own use.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

I re-learned something today, freshly cut black walnut will dye your hands black.........good thang I aint got no fancy social occasions comin' up.  ;D

MotorSeven

I'm plotting.....to cheat someday on my LT15(shhhhhhhh)

Dj, how hard is it to turn those logs when the mill is up on the trailer? My mill is stationary and just looking at your pic do you have to climb up there to turn?
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: MotorSeven on June 12, 2012, 04:42:51 PM
I'm plotting.....to cheat someday on my LT15(shhhhhhhh)

Dj, how hard is it to turn those logs when the mill is up on the trailer? My mill is stationary and just looking at your pic do you have to climb up there to turn?

Biggest thing I've turned so far was a walnut log 20+" x 10', which would have been about 1300lbs. I use a 4' Logrite hook, and it's managable. It would be nice to have a second hook for an assistant to use while you reposition the first one. I don't climb on the trailer. The top of the bunks are about 23" off the ground, so I start with the hook handle at about shoulder hieght and push up. The bigger problem I've found is sliding a large log back away from the stops so that you can turn it.

Oh yeah, I also use my winch and a nylon tow strap to roll them if they're really big. Winch is on the opposite rail from the stops. I drop the winch cable below the log and hook it to the tow strap, which is wrapped 2-3 times around the log and looped over itself so it won't slip.

dblair

in my old circle mill I have a electric winch hanging up there to loop around the log and turn it . just a thought. I have a cant hook but why would I
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Migal

:) we only cheat cause we're older and learned mechanics work better when you use them and there not using you  8) 8) on another note I charged 200 last Saturday and Customer said He owed me more so I said 300 He said sounds like a great deal! Handed me 300 He was a return customer I did give hime a heck of a deal the first time but did think I was being fair I only had 4 hrs into it So yes and He drove around with His wood in a trailer and I have been asked to cut several peoples logs now This is going to be fun  8) 8) 8) got to love that niche market idea! I even met a new friend while sawing and he jumped right in there and helped for a couple of hrs so I dropped him 30 to show that if your going to play around a mill its worth it  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

MotorSeven

Ok, good it sounds like you can get some leverage from being on the ground. Yes, a second hook is in order. I have the 60 and bring out the MegaHook for the big long ones when assistance is available. For really bigguns(27') I use assistants and a chain on the forks on the FEL to turn 'em.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: dblair on June 12, 2012, 09:22:53 PM
in my old circle mill I have a electric winch hanging up there to loop around the log and turn it . just a thought. I have a cant hook but why would I

I considered a 12V winch, but since my saw doesn't have an alternator or battery, I'd have to power it from the truck. I decided there were just to many things that could go wrong so I went with a hand winch. So far I haven't had to put it in low gear, and I haven't worn myself out with it......just a LOT of cranking......

Delawhere Jack

I almost forgot. And this ones pretty funny........ ALL CUTTING WILL BE ON 1/8 OR 1/4" INCREMENTS, NO 1/16"'s!!!!! :o

In the future, when the customer says he wants 1 3/16", I'll just give him a blank stare, or tell him I only got as far as the 1/8" lines grade in milling school.  ;D

The first log I suggested milling 1 1/4" but he said 1 3/16", and being the newbee that I am, I go along. So I've got to drop 1 5/16" each cut. Now......I ain't got non a that fancy com-pooter-ized gizmos, just an aluminum yardstick and a bailing wire "crosshair".

Ya ever seen somebody with ZERO coordination playing with the paddle and rubber ball on a string?

So now I've got to remember to the 1/16" where the last cut was, (since I lift the head to return it), then I've got to do the math in my head and get the next cut right..... After the second log he said let's just go for 1 1/4". I faced him, bowed my head and simply said "thank you".

He was a really nice guy, but something tells me he was having a little chuckle to himself over my dilema.... :-[

BTW, Jim Rodgers, those charts you posted with the drops for various thicknesses are AWESOME!. Thanks!

kenlt30

Where can i find the post with the charts by Jim Rogers? Thanks

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: kenlt30 on June 13, 2012, 09:39:36 PM
Where can i find the post with the charts by Jim Rogers? Thanks

here they are again, see attached.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

MotorSeven

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on June 14, 2012, 09:03:43 AM
Thank God for accuset.

cheater

Try cutting stickers out of a 16"x16' Poplar on a manual mill........wow it took me almost 3 hrs and one heck of a workout.

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: MotorSeven on June 14, 2012, 09:34:24 AM
Quote from: petefrombearswamp on June 14, 2012, 09:03:43 AM
Thank God for accuset.

cheater

Try cutting stickers out of a 16"x16' Poplar on a manual mill........wow it took me almost 3 hrs and one heck of a workout.

Now this may sound like a crazy idea, but when I did that, I'd take my chain saw and cut those standing boards all the way down to one or two stickers, at the four foot marks. That way when the saw passes through the first set they are free to pick up and toss into the bin.

After all the loose ones were removed I cut the last two being held by the clamp, with the chain saw and free them from the piece being held by the clamp.

I found this saves a lot of handling of 1x2's 16' long.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

MotorSeven

Jim, I thought about that, but it seemed easier to toss them on the forks, then chain saw them as a "bundle". Of course I had to modify a pallet to hold'em....nuthing comes easy  :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!