iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stuck Taco Pumps

Started by doctorb, June 09, 2012, 05:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

After reading the suggestion to let the OWB circulating pumps run for a short while once a month during the "non-heating times" on the "Water Conditioning" thread, I thought I would give it a try.  I started the pump out on my boiler, no problem.  I came back into my basement, where the line divides from the boiler outside to supply my two basements with separate heat exchangers.  Opened all the valves to get flow started and tried to turn on the pumps to each indoor furnace.  Neither would turn on.  They just sat there and hummed at me.

I noticed at the beginning of this past winter that I had to turn on and off the switch to one of these pumps to have it kick into gear.  Now, neither will work.  So......

How do I fix this and how can I prevent it from happening in the future?  Thanks ahead of time for your help.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ford_man

You can get a new cartrage to put in the pumps, they are notorios for sticking, they are kind of expensive, but that is the only way I have been able to fix the problem.
Good luck Ed  splitwood_smiley

westyswoods

Agree Taco are known for breaking down, sticking. Think I've replaced three or four cartridges in a hydronic system. Need to look at what I switched to but have had no problems since.
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

firechief

Ive replaced my Taco pumps every single year since new in 2009.  They have a 3 year warranty so dealer keeps replaceing with a new one. Matter of fact, the new one I got a few months or so ago has July 12 stamped on it so the warranty period hasnt even started yet !!

beenthere

Are these wet rotor pumps?

I wondered when it was mentioned to turn them on periodicaly to keep the seals wet.

I have had wet rotor circulator pumps (three of them) running for many (20+) years, and have yet to use the spare Grundfos pump I have on hand.

Used to have a lot of problem with Bell & Gossett with separate motor until I switched to the wet rotor Bell & Gossett pumps.

Just has me wondering what is with the Taco pumps.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

The main circulator on my OWB is a Grundfos.  It's never given any trouble in 7 seasons?  I think it's been seven  ;D  My zone pumps are Tacos and have had several cartridges replaced one needs attention now.  My new system in the addition has all Grundfos pumps and when the stuff for the existing house is moved into the basement they will be Grundfos also.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

AsaG

Add me to the list of those who have regularly replaced the cartridges in Taco pumps.  I'd usually get two years out of them.  Didn't seem to matter if they were used 24x7x365 or more seasonal.  All pumps are now Grundfos and so far, after five years of service, not a single problem.  If you make the switch, your existing flanges will work but the pump length may vary.  Depending your plumbing materials and layout, it may be as simple as bolting on the new pump.

thecfarm

In my other house I had Tacos,with a indoor boiler. I only replaced 2 in maybe 15 years. When the heating season was done they would just sit there and wait for the next season.Now I have a owb and keep one going all the time because of hot water. One zone gets unplugged and waits for the next season. Been going for 3 years now on the same 2.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

westyswoods

Pumps are Grundfos that replaced Tacos, so far no problems with them after three years.
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

doctorb

Does the pH of the water or the nitrite concentration have any relationship to the longevity of a pump?  Both values in my system are within the suggested norms for my OWB, but comments on this thread have made me wonder.

I, too, have Taco circulation pumps for my indoor furnace system.  These have never failed.  Yet those associated with the OWB seem to have that tendency.  Thoughts?  Is it the make-up of the OWB water that does this?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

LAZERDAN

I also have had the " sticky pump"  I  kinda always pay attention at startup at the beginning of the season.   If I can't hear flow in the the pipe, just the hum of the pump I unbolt the the motor and clean the impeller,  I have never had to replace anything.  Seems to be a small amount of mineral deposit or rust from the inside of the burner.  Once its spinning all is well for the season.  I also think it's a great idea to run your pumps monthly and circulate the water, i never seem to faithfully have the time to do this in summer.  The most important thing i guess is to know how to determine this at startup in the fall                                                                                       Lazerdan

Corley5

Does anyone have a filter system installed on their boiler  ???  I've thought that it might be a good idea.  It wouldn't hurt if it didn't help  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Holmes

I have had success with dislodging a stuck pump by hitting the end of the motor housing with the Handle of a hammer. A sharp blow {with the Handle }to the rear up the pump hitting toward the impeller. I switched to Grunfos pumps 10 years ago but the few Tacos I've put in I have not had problems with.  The motor should not be mounted in the vertical position , that is the impeller down , motor up. Air gets trapped in the motor housing and this leads to pump failure. 
    You may have an aqua stat that will Not allow your pumps to run if the pipes are not hot enough.
Think like a farmer.

doctorb

Pumps are horizontal.  No aquastat.  I'll give 'em a whack and see if they start working.  Even if they do, I don't want to find out next November that, again, they don't.

DouginUtah

I have had a Taco pump fail (and it was noisy), a Grunfoss seized (maybe my fault for letting it sit for 6 months), and I am now using five Bell & Gossett pumps. After three years I have not had any problems with them.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

boilerman101

I am still running my 10 year old Taco 009 pumps, but I do have a replacement pump cartridge on hand, just in case.
I am in the "start the pumps once a month for 2-3 minutes camp." Seems to be working for me.
Doc B, try pulling the head off the pump, pull the cartridge out and and see if you can break/turn the plastic impeller/shaft free by hand.
It has not sat that long since you shut it down. I think it is always important to push water back through the pump and cartridge, supply and return lines under household pressure anytime a new pump or cartridge has been opened or replaced, as stated in our CB owners manual.
Good luck!

doctorb

Could there be any relationship between water quality and the pumps sticking?  I tested my water today, and found my nitrite level was a little elevated - 35 drops (5 drops over the recommended limit).  Could this be why my pumps are stuck?

Gary_C

Yes, there could be a problem with your water that causes the sticking problem with any pumps and there is much more about water quality for hot water recirculation systems than just testing for nitrates. But the nitrate is one simple test and CB is set up with a chemical to adjust for that.

Testing for just nitrates certainly helps but in some areas of the country the water quality may require more testing and chemical control than just nitrates. If you are concerned, contact a local industrial boiler water testing company for a test of your water. Even though you are not boiling and condensing water, they also can help with chemical control of hot water recirculation systems. And those companies have a variety of chemicals that can help with oxydation, corrosion, mineral deposits, etc.

Doubt it will be cheaper to do all the testing and chemical control than just replacing pump cartridges. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

John Mc

I've got 7 Taco pumps in my system (propane boiler, mix of hydronic and baseboard heat).  The house is going on 10 years old, and I haven't replaced a pump cartridge yet.  I don't do anything special to keep them running... they turn on as needed during the heating season, and all but the domestic hot water loop stay off the rest of the year.

We're on well water, but there is not much if any turnover through the system... most of what is in the loops was put in there when it was first charged.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!