iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modifying a circular saw blade for a swingmill?

Started by Satamax, June 09, 2012, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

So, in europe, blades for a swingmill are not readily available at sensible costs. To my taste.

Other members here insist that swingmill has to have 4 to 8 teeth.

I have a milling machine, and rotating or dividing table. Would you think i'd be able to take a ripsaw of any kind, and remove the teeth, leaving just a few of theses, to make myself a suitable blade?

Thanks.

Max.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

sigidi

Max, not sure if others insist on the amount of teeth, but the commercially available models use those kind of sawblades. I got an email from an Asian mob just the other day spruking for business, they may be rather competitive in price makin sawblades for you??

Our sawblades down here for the Lucas are made from one mob, but you could always purchase a swingblade akin to the Lucas blades from Baileys over there?

My problem with "modifying" a sawblade, is I personally don't know enough about them to feel what I'm doing will certainly, beyond a shadow of a doubt be safe, for me even the slightest "should be ok" is not good enough to experiment with - heard of a chap in South Africa who decided original blades and original blade bolts where too expensive for him and he decided to bastardise something in between - needless to say he wont be on here posting any of his 'experience'
Always willing to help - Allan

Satamax

Thanks a lot Sigidi.

Well, i have a litle background in engineering. Dates back to school, but still have the books, the help from an engineering forum i hang about, there's plenty of resources on the net too.

Bolts worry me, for example, at 4kg per mm², a normal m10 screw can hold 196kg. Also in shearing. That's with a security margin which is quite important, like 10/1.  I want to make the swinger with an electric motor, and knowing the tremendous amount of torque at startup, that's worysome, that the bolts might not cope with the shearing strength. Hence the idea few days back of having a cone in the blade for flush mount with something of a consequent diameter and which is not subject to shearing strength. The blade would just slip if à problem arose. I might ask a plentyfull ton of daft question. But i know a few safety tips. And i'm mechanicaly brained. Cutting a blade doesn't worry me the least.  It's just how do i make the gullet, which shape? And it's stretching my machinery at the limits of it's capabilities.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

sigidi

if it helps... on my model 10 Lucas I have 5 countersunk hi tensile screws, I believe they are M10, but not 100% sure although I know they have a 16mm nut to lock them in.
Always willing to help - Allan

Satamax

16mm? That's weird. Normally M10 bears a 17mm nut. But it might be for safety purposes that it's not the same.

Thank You Sponsors!