iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill/Edger - Operations!!

Started by cnelson1, June 09, 2012, 11:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnelson1

I have a TK B20 and a Cook Edger. I cut slabs and edge the final boards to make demension lumber. The edger will handle up to 2" thickness' and so I mill all beams on the mill only.  I would be interested in hearing from other Sawmill/Edger operations. How are you set up?  What are the pros and cons of this type of operation?  What are some of the things you do to get the most out of your setup?  Thanks.
Chris in CA

wwsjr

I have a LT40 Super with Remote and WM Edger. I saw either standing or sitting on shop stool at hitch end of mill. My slabs, usually 4 pieces, I pull and stack on "Bibby Horses" by the rear of mill 90* from mill. I poly band slabs and move with FEL. The flitches and boards are pulled back beside me with the mill dragback. I have a set of horses directly behind the remote station, the flitches go on these. The edger is in line with the horses so the boards can be pulled from the horses directly into the edger. Two sets of horses at the end of edger, one for boards and one for strips. I usually saw several logs before I run the edger. The finished boards go on horses on the right of the mill hitch. This set up works good for me when I am sawing with a helper or alone. Beams either are pulled with dragback or by hand off the rear end of mill on set of horses. All sets of horses except the ones for flitches can be unloaded with tractor FEL. I place stickers and poly band everthing I cut before I move from mill.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

customsawyer

On one mill I have the edger basically in line and use two helpers. As I am milling they are edging and cutting lumber. On the portable mill I will set up the edger over to the side and run similar to wwsjr.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

wwsjr

If the rain stops, I will try to post pictures this week. Rain predicted thru Thursday.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Sawing 4 fun

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. My Dad and I completly rebuilt a 01 Frick from scratch. We sawed our 1st log a couple of weeks ago.
We found that sending the lumber back to the carriage for edging is a pain and time consumming. We realy would like to get an edger. We have been looking for a long time and we just can't seem to find one. Does any one out there have one for sale? Does any one know where we could go to find one for sale? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for all the help. O'h I live in southern Maryland.

Gordon,
Sawing for fun
Gordon
Sawing 4 fun
with 01 Frick