iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More mechanical woes

Started by Qweaver, June 08, 2012, 07:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We have a pin stuck on the backhoe that will not take grease and I can not move it with my 20 ton press.  I hate to heat that part but that may be my only option.  We let it soak in a bucket of diesel overnight and I will try the press again today.  The grease nipple was kind of hidden and we were just missing it.  It has probably never been greased from new.  Is there a penetrant that may actually work in this case?  I've never had much luck with the ones from the parts store.  How about Rust Reaper?
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

snowstorm

what i have used is a porta power take the greese fitting out buy a fitting that will fit the hose and pin

Qweaver

I had no trouble getting the grease nipple out.  It is the 1.25" pin that is the problem.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Al_Smith

They claim this blue creeper stuff is the best on the market for penetrating oil .I've never used it myself but will buy a gallon when I get low on my other penetrating  oil which is Kroil .As much rusty old junk that I work on it probabley won't be too long .

As far as heat you'd have to get that steel pretty hot before you'd change the property of the metal .A torch on the stuck king pins of a truck is an old trick from way back .It isn't like you heat it up to orange  like you're forging a horse shoe or something .

Qweaver

Thanks Al.  Where do I get Blue Creeper? 

isawlogs

I would aply the heat while on the press.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jamie_C

It is more than likely not going to be rust holding it in there. I would venture that the pin has grooves worn in it, the last guy i worked for ended up breaking his 20 ton porta power trying to get the pins out of a dozer blade on the front of his forwarder that were worn from lack of grease. You might be better off cutting the pin off and trying to blow a hole right through the center of it and then cut out the donut piece that is left. :(

Qweaver

Oh No,  it is definitely rust and old dried up grease stopping the pin from moving. I've pulled other pins and there is no wear.  This machine only has 430 hours of use and this part has not been rotating for a long time.

Jamie_C

If that is the case then heat up the metal surrounding the pin and keep pounding with the sledge hammer ... it is likely the brass bushing is giving you some grief too. I have seen them get wore a little from not enough grease and cause a major headache ... or handache from swinging the sledge hammer  ;D

Al_Smith

Quote from: Qweaver on June 08, 2012, 08:09:03 AM
Thanks Al.  Where do I get Blue Creeper?
Easy as pie .Just flip down the bottom of the forum ,they're a forum sponser .

Cypressstump

I am not familiar with the blue creeper lube, but have noticed you guys rave about it... I reckon I'll need to check it out myself.

I have found PB Blaster to be the best I have ever used to date. And it's sold almost everywhere these days. get the penetrant, not the grease, they both have labels that are close.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

thurlow

On the various forums I frequent, there seems to be a consensus that a home-made mixture of Acetone and ATF makes the very best penetrating fluid.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah a mixture of 50/50 ATF and acetone works pretty good. In the case of the stuck pin I wouldn't monkey too much with it, just put the torch to it and then knock it out; its amazing what a little heat will do to break rust.

beenthere

QuoteIs there a penetrant that may actually work in this case?  I've never had much luck with the ones from the parts store.  How about Rust Reaper?

Rust Reaper is now the same as Blue Creeper. And the way it works, you will be missing out if you don't give it a try. From what you explained, a BC treatment will be worth the effort. Truly a amazing results, that I have found and same for those I've passed some on to for a trial. A few drops will do a big job.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fuzzybear

Quote from: isawlogs on June 08, 2012, 08:10:59 AM
I would aply the heat while on the press.
I agree. A little heat goes a long way. As my dad would say "Heat is neat".
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Al_Smith

I'm a heat it up type guy myself .

On that oil all any penetrant is is oil with a solvent of some type .The solvent takes the oil in to the obstruction ,evaporates to a point just leaving behind the oil .

There must be 10 thousand home brewed versions using every thing from kerosine to Pepsi Cola .They all work to a point .

You could probabley brew up a batch using tech grade DMSO and castor oil and it would work .If you're going to use the castor for "spring tonic " leave out the DMSO .

Qweaver

Well I've used the heat method many times.  I just didn't want to in this case.  My Oxy/acet set went through hurricane Ike, are salt water incrusted and will need to be rebuilt before they will work.  So I'm going to just buy another set today.  The salt water did not hurt the tanks. 
Thanks to all for the suggestions. 
Quinton

Woodhauler

I had a pin in a pulp loader stuck, got a guy to cut it out. They make a special rod rhat burns a hole in the center of the pin. When it cools you can almost push it out by hand. Doing this only heats the pin not the other metal.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Corley5

Be careful not to mushroom the end of the pin beating on it.  That makes them come out really hard  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Clam77

Having worked with heavy equipment before.. I feel your pain..    :D

Good luck!!   
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

LeeB

Don't trash your old regulators. They can be rebuilt for very little money. The kits cost $10-12 bucks and is really easy to do.
http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/repairparts.php
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

submarinesailor

Quniton,

We have worked on many pins like you are talking about on the boats.  I recommend you look at one (or both) of 2 methods to get it out.  The easiest would be to soak it overnight in a bucket of Blue Creeper.  And if you can, while trying to drive it out, use both sides – tap it one way and then back the other way. 

The other method is how we had to do it on the boats.  First, we would take a port-a-power and fill it with ATF.  Hooking it to the pin with either the grease fitting or direct couple.  Next we would pump it up the 3000 psi and let it sit (soaking the old grease with ATF).  Sometimes, we had to let it soak for days.  Most of the time, overnight worked just fine.  After a period of time, the pressure will bleed off, so keep an eye on it and pump it back up to pressure.  Eventually you will not be able to keep pressure on it.  That's when we would fill it full of new grease.  After the new grease was installed, that's when we would get to work removing the pin(s).  Used this method from torpedo tube to the fairwater planes to the rudder and tiller pins back aft in the after free flood.  BTW - most of the time,we were not allowed to use heat.  The NAVSEA engineeers did not like the idea of heat on those metals used in the free floods on the boats.

Bruce

Clam77

Quote from: submarinesailor on June 09, 2012, 12:32:28 PM
BTW - most of the time,we were not allowed to use heat.  The NAVSEA engineeers did not like the idea of heat on those metals used in the free floods on the boats.

Bruce

:D   :D  They didn't like us using it in the engineroom either unless it was an emergency.  Alot of special metals loose their temper when they get heated up around 2000°.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Nomad

Something else you can try is using a good penetrant in a grease gun and applying it to the zerk fitting.  It's messy, but it usually works.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Qweaver

Well the pin is out, cleaned up and the backhoe is back together and working.  But I had to buy a 20 ton press and a complete oxy/acet set and tanks to do it. 

I ran a welding shop for 30 years and that was the toughest pin I have ever removed.  I had it way hotter than I like to.  When we got the pin out of another hole we found that the steel bushing oil hole did not align with the grease nipple hole...this pin had never been greased but it came out fairly easily and there was very little wear.  At least I had the press on hand to press the bushing out and realign. 

So two days labor and $1450.00 of new tools and we are back in business.  BTW @ 700 deg heat treatment changes begin to happen in most heat treatable steel.  I'll bet I was there and beyond on the outside but the pin seemed fine. 

Qweaver

Well about seven days hard labor plus @ $3000 parts and tools, enumerable miles driven and both the JD and the Dozer are hard at work.  Dug out a 40" stump this AM and moved dirt until dark.  Dave on the dozer, me on the JD.  What better way for two old farts to spend the day.
We did take time to watch NASCAR after lunch.  What a way to retire! 

thecfarm

I did not get in the house until there was only 36 laps left. We had an older couple come to the stand that knew my parents. I felt that was more inportant than coming inside to watch the race. Was a nice day to sit outside and talk.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!