iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STIHL Pro vs STIHL Semi-Pro

Started by Woodhog, March 01, 2004, 04:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Could someone please explain the difference in the Stihl PRO
compared to the Semi-Pro line of saws...are the internal components (engine parts etc.) different.

My local dealer has a 361 I am interested in, sells for around
485 $US...

Thanks

SasquatchMan

Hey hog... I think you'll get lots of info here pretty soon from a bunch of folks.

By semi-pro I take it you mean the 290/310/390 series or maybe the new 270/280 saws?  The 360 has always been a pro grade saw, and from what I understand, the 361 is as well.    

Stihl's "midgrade" saws (the 290 series) aren't built with the same quality in some areas, and are apparently a real drag to take apart.  Opinion on these saws seems to range from "best saw for the money" to "total crap"...  I have a 290 that has so far worked really well.

The new 270/280 are a step up (mag chassis etc) and the 260/360/460 are pro saws which last forever and are easily serviced etc.

I think you'll find that the 361 cuts circles around a 390 for years to come.  There was a long thread on the 361 at arboristsite.com too I think... you might want to go and have a read there.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

jokers

"Could someone please explain the difference in the Stihl PRO
compared to the Semi-Pro line of saws...are the internal components (engine parts etc.) different."

Yes, construction is different as well.

The new 361 looks like a nice package but of course no track record has been established yet.

Russ

Rocky_J

The only thing I've heard on the 361 is that it is a redesign of the 360. The 360 has been a solid performer for the last decade, but is getting a bit long in the tooth and is rather heavy for the amount of power available. I've heard that the 361 is a bit lighter and about the same power, but I have not seen one myself.

Sasquatch did a fine job of describing the difference between pro and semi-pro, I can't really add much.

tawilson

This is probably a stupid question, but why can't I buy a small Pro Stihl saw? I'm going to get one, probably the 170, for limbing and some of the light duty work I need to take care of and want to get the best saw I can. Now I have a 039 and a husky 061. They're big enough for anything I plan on cutting, but like I said, I need something lighter. I've got a couple of Homelites and a Craftsman that I inherited, but I'm sick of them and want to get a quality saw. Am I missing something here, and should I be looking at something else?
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Rocky_J

Hi Tom,
One of Stihl's little tricks is using different color handles. The white handled saws are the 'pro' models, the orange handles are the 'better' quality versions and the black handle saws are their 'consumer' lines. One of Stihl's best saws for the money is their 025 (orange handle), which I feel is almost as strong as their bloated, overweight 029 and a much better value. I'm not familiar with any of their saws smaller than the 025, as none of them are ever on a treeman's jobsite around here.

Keep in mind that my knowledge base on Stihls is from about 1984- 2000. I haven't looked at or run hardly any of the newer models in the last 4 years, most of my experience is with the 025, 026, 026Pro, 036, 044, 046 and 066. Also the HT-75 polesaw and the 020T top handle. I've run an 029 on a few occassions, always regretted picking it up.

SasquatchMan

yeah, the 260 has a great rep as a dead reliable little saw.  Welcome to the FF rocky.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

oldsaw-addict

I would call any stihl larger than the 021 a pro grade saw, but thats just me talking, you guys have the experience here, I dont run stihl saws too much these days. I'm quite happy with my jonsered 670 with modified muffler. I honestly dont care what the saw is, "pro" "semi-pro" or whatever, I just care that it gets the job done, and doesnt quit in the middle of the day. If the saw meets the above mentioned criteria then  I really dont care what it is labeled as for a saw class. but the real important fact is that STIHL RULES!!!!!
Let there be saws for all mankind!

tawilson

Good info there on the colored handles, never noticed it before. Thanks. I was going by the way Stihl grouped their saws on their website, which has a 361 as the smallest professional saw. Actually, they have pro and semipro's in their midrange group.
     Knowing this, I also think a 260 would be a better choice for a smaller saw.  
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

tony_marks

i always thot the 026 was a pro grade saw..i got one and its proving to me that[at least at the time it was built] stihl knew how to make a real good tree saw.

Bernhard_admin_change

The 026 is a profi-saw, even like the 024 and 020(onehand)
semiprofi are the 021,023,025,029

Bernhard

jaustin

Folks,

Thought I'd share what my dealer told me this afternoon. He goes to "Stihl school" every year, so he at least knows what Stihl says. According to Stihl, "pro" saws start with the 361. There are lots of differences, but mainly it's power. "Pros" want to cut fast, so they want more power. So the official company word just like it says on the Web site: pro saws have number of 361 or higher.

But some of the lower-numbered saws have some of the features of the pro saws. Like the 260, which has a magnesium body, which makes it more expensive than some of the more powerful saws. For cutting a few cord of wood a year, though (what I do) he said that the "pro" saws aren't necessarily tougher. He could be wrong, but that's what he said.

Bernhard_admin_change

If You check out the Stihl website in Germany, You´ll find the stihl definition of profi and semiprofi saws.

jokers

QuoteFolks,

Thought I'd share what my dealer told me this afternoon. He goes to "Stihl school" every year, so he at least knows what Stihl says. According to Stihl, "pro" saws start with the 361. There are lots of differences, but mainly it's power. "Pros" want to cut fast, so they want more power. So the official company word just like it says on the Web site: pro saws have number of 361 or higher.

But some of the lower-numbered saws have some of the features of the pro saws. Like the 260, which has a magnesium body, which makes it more expensive than some of the more powerful saws. For cutting a few cord of wood a year, though (what I do) he said that the "pro" saws aren't necessarily tougher. He could be wrong, but that's what he said.

They way the Stihl website is currently formatted is new. Until recently the 026/260 was in the Pro saw category, which is BTW more durable, and the 036/360 was not. By all accounts the new 361 looks to be a very good overall package but I think that the rest of how Stihl categorizes their current saws is designed to confuse, as they have been trying to do for years. Handle color was a reliable method of determining what category a saw was until recently. It was just as Rocky stated. Then with the advent of the 270/280 which are built like "semi-pro" saws if there is such a thing, the white handle rule went out the window. Just like a couple of years earlier when Stihl changed all of the model numbers. Prior to that, even number meant pro saw, odd was homeowner or Farm saw. Now that the new model numbers all end in zero, they`re all even aren`t they? More ambiguity.

I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again, Stihl is not the company it was when your daddy bought saws. Meaning that you could buy any Stihl at that time and know that it was high quality, if not also high performance. These days you`d better know the complete story on any new Stihl that you are thinking of purchasing, and BTW, with the general slip in ethical standards, you can`t rely on your dealer to give you the straight scoop even if they know it.

Russ

jaustin

A couple of messages ago, Berhard wrote that the Stihl Website in Germany gives the lowdown on what saws are pro and which are semi-pro. I looked, and it's really good info. Here's the link:

http://www.stihl.com/navi/default.htm?cat=0&sub=1

Notice that the classication system is completely different from what's on the U.S. site...and a lot more useful. Pisses me off; if I had seen that BEFORE I bought my saw, I would probably have made a different choice. Yep, they're trying to confuse the American public.

Seems to me like Stihl--or at least Stihl USA--is going down exactly the same road Husky went down.

Jim

tony_marks

the 026 or the 028 [older version] are without doubt pro grade saws..

Thank You Sponsors!