iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HORSE FLIES !!!!!!

Started by jrkimroxie, June 06, 2012, 10:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrkimroxie

I'm set up stationary under a pole-barn with my LT-28 sawing syp 6x12s for a log home. Do ya'll have any, tricks/repellents/etc that will reduce the horse-fly population. It's pretty rough concentration on milling, with 3 or 4 flying & biting all over you.  go_away this didn't work !!!
Loving life 1 log at a time !!!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Buy a horse and tie him up 50 yards away from the mill.

Works every time !  :D

You can also wear a dress and spray on a little CHANNEL #9.
My wife has never been bit by a horse fly!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I use Bens bug dope when the flies are bad, works pretty good.

Around here, the deer flies are worse than horse flies.

Horse flies just take a bigger bite when they leave.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

If they get real bad, here's an unusual twist. I have a small hand-held sandblaster. Sorta like a modified paint sprayer. It's fairly easy to shoot the buggers in mid-air with that. The sand grains won't kill them, they are tough. But it pokes holes in their wings, resulting in some wild aerobatics and crashes. then a size 12 boot to finish the job.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Cypressstump

I heard that a mixture of 1/2 mule Pee and 1/2 snake oil works,, sorta hard to find the snake oil round here, and the mule pee apparently don't work none too good by itseslf.......it'll sure keep yer company at bay. ! ! and yer eyes water.. ::)

I have found those little fellers have a keen sense of smell as they will dang sure find that spot where the bug repellent did not cover.
I use a large fan when all else fails and they get too bad.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

SwampDonkey

I find the deer flies and horse flies don't come into a shelter. In fact if a day isn't bright and sunny I don't even see a deer fly. They like the hot bright days.  What does come in is the blow flies and stable flies, but they don't bite. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

That is because, otherwise, they are froze up.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SPIKER

We had bad issues with them here in amish country lots of  horses and seems the flys preferred welding smoke/arc flash as with doors open and welding helmet on hot & sweaty they would come in land on your back and nail ya....   I got bit a bunch some years are much MUCH worst than others... >:( :o

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

KBforester

Quote from: Chuck White on June 07, 2012, 11:19:55 AM
I use Bens bug dope when the flies are bad, works pretty good.

Around here, the deer flies are worse than horse flies.

Horse flies just take a bigger bite when they leave.

Chuck- I feel that your neck of the woods has the worst population of deer flies on earth. At least that was my experience working there. Here in Maine the black flies are worse than in NY, but I would take black flies over Deer flies any day.
Trees are good.

Chuck White

Deer flies are really bad this year and they are here about a month early.

Black flies (no see ums) are wicked in the woods!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Deer flies usually get bad here, so far just one or two around. They swarm around your head like hornets. Deet works on the black flies and mosquitoes, but not deer flies. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Deer flies are very attracted to Stihl's blue winter bar oil containers. They will get stuck to the oil and die  ;D
I don't think we have the usual horse fly but we have something like it that I call a moose fly. Big !
June is exciting ! Black flies, mosquitos, deer flies, moose flies and no-see-ums all at once  8) < not dancing... running and swatting  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dakota

How about a bee keepers helmet with netting?
Dave Rinker

Clam77

Absorbine Jr. works pretty good on just about every variety of fly/gnat/mosquito I've come across - there's the kind you can find in walmarket and then there's the more potent kind you can get at a farm store that's made for horses and livestock.  You won't end up smelling the best but it works..   :D   :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

shinnlinger

I have seen for sale what Amounts to black landscape fabric mounted on a sawhorse with a sheet of plexiglass hanging below it.   Below the plexiglas is a tub of soapy water.  The flys circle the cloth thinking it is a horse and hit the plexiglas and drop into the soapy water. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Radar67

I've had a problem with flies in the donkey paddock lately. I spread Diatomaceous Earth in the barn, on the ground around the barn, in the areas he uses the facilities, and around his feeding area. The good thing about DE is it is food grade and you can add small amounts to the feed to help control parasites. (I tested it by eating a teaspoon full). I'm happy to say, I am now worm free.  :D It will give you cotton mouth pretty bad for a couple hours.

Long story short, in two days after applying, I have noticed a 75% reduction in the amount of flies. It works on fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes too.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

Terry,

Looks like that you will not be getting fleas as well as being worm free  :D. 

Is the Donkey on the property where you planning to build?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pesaventoc

Some say a bright blue disk suspended so it can rotate and some distance away from you will draw them to it instead of you. Spray it with tanglefoot and they'll stick. The U. of Fla. has done research I believe. Also wear a brimmed hat and light clothes. Hope this helps.
EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

Radar67

Danny, the donkey is at my current location.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Kevin

You can buy these from Lee Valley and they work.

lumberjack48

The deer flies got so bad in the Jack pine a guy could hardly work. I've had-em in my ears, even had to spit one out of my mouth a few times.

The War was on, this one guy on my other crew ate raw onions like apples. He claimed sweating the onion out was the answer, they didn't bother him or did anybody else. You wanted to make sure you stayed up wind from him.

Everybody asked me how you do it, i used the best and heaviest armorer i could find. I would close my eyes and have the wife spray me down with Yard Guard, it worked.

When i was peeling Jack pine and Aspen back in the late 50's, this is when we skidded with a horse. My father would spray the same spray he used on the horse all over in the woods where we were peeling, this worked good. He all so mixed the gas heavy, the ole 7-19 would smoke, it all helped.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!