iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oh boy, here I go!

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, June 06, 2012, 05:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I'd like to blame Norm for this but it's my own fault.
I Can't wait to get it going  8) 8) 8)

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Chain it down mine walked away >:( :(

Life in the city.......
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

Congratulations Jon!

One of the best sources for cooking on it besides me is the BBQ Brethren

There's a couple of websites devoted to just cooking on the egg but they get their pantaloons in a wad if you talk about any other cooker.  :o

LOGDOG

I've been wanting to ask this question to the guys who have or have had Big Green Eggs. If I had two identical Ribeyes, I grill one on say a Weber charcoal grill and the other one I grill on a Big Green Egg ... how much better will the one grilled on the Big Green Egg taste? Anyone ever do a comparison like that? What differences would a person notice in the two steaks?

pigman

I would like to answer that question LOGDOG. You cook the two rib-eyes, one on each named grill. Invite me down to try each steak. I will then tell you which is best. ;D
digin1
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

LOGDOG

Well Pigman ...if you can talk these guys into bringing "their" grills down, I'll buy the ribeyes. I've been too tight to buy a Big Green Egg ... though I've pondered it heavily.  ;) I just wonder if there's a huge difference?

Weekend_Sawyer

Assembled it last night. It took about 3 hours. It was pretty straight forward. I'm going to fire it as soon as I get home and then later tonight I am going to try and grill steaks with baked potatoes and  asparagus. Wish me luck. ... or wish Diane luck.  :D

Jon

Norm

Logdog I cook on my big weber as much as I do my eggs. I like my weber for doing steaks and burgers and to be honest can't tell much difference in how it cooks versus the BGE. The egg really shines for low and slow cooking, like pork butts, brisket, ribs and such. Of course it does fine with chicken and everything else but as you can tell I'm fond of my webers too.

LOGDOG

Good luck with the first run Weekend_Sawyer ...

Thanks Norm. It's a question I've honestly wondered. You know how it is .... you grill a steak at home and it's just awesome, usually better than what you'd get if you went out to eat at most places. But you wonder, "Can it get better"? .... I can see where they'd be real nice for low and slow with the ability to seal that heat in and regulate it so well.

Raider Bill

Another good thing about the BGE is you can get the heat extremely high for searing.
I do like Webers though. Got a new one last month for my birthday!
Not to hijack Jon post but take a look at this all done on the Weber!

Hungry yet? :D :D :D :D

okmulch

Bill, do you use a special pizza pan for grilling?
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Raider Bill

I start with a pizza stone to bake the crust a bit with EVOO brushed on the top. This "sets" the dough so it's easier to peel. I then add the toppings and finish right on the grate. I'll generally use some lump charcoal with a piece or 2 of hickory, maple, or apple for flavor. This depends on my toppings and taste at the time.

LOGDOG

Wow ...that looks great. You gotta love good food. :)

okmulch

Thanks! I guess I need to get a pizza stone.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Weekend_Sawyer

durn hihjacker, got me droolin all over my keyboard!   ;D

WDH

Jon,

It is still your fault.  You started this mess  :D.  (headed to the refrigerator looking for grilled meat  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

The steaks came out very good. Tender and flavorful. I had the grill at 500 degrees, seared the steaks (ribeyes) on both sides then shut the grill down and cooked them till they were almost medium. I moved them to the side and dropped my asparagus on, turned them twice and they were nicely done. For baked potatoes I rubbed red potatoes with butter (beleive it or not I was out of bacon grease!) wrapped them in foil and had them on the grill for an hour.

Would it have come out just as well on a Weber?, probably.  ;D
Jon

LOGDOG

Sounds like good eatin'!

Dan_Shade

Jon, i'm close enough by to stop in for a bite ;-)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Weekend_Sawyer

oh, sorry Dan, we packed up and headed for the hills!  :)

Burlkraft

Congrats Jon and welcome to the club  8) 8)

Yer gonna love it!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Weekend_Sawyer

Yesterday afternoon I cooked 3 racks of ribs with a dry rub, 8 baked potatoes and 14 ears of corn. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked so I kept the grill at 300 for the ribs for 3 hours, and they came out tender and juicy with Danjonit's BBQ sauce on the side.  ;D

Jon

WDH

Sounds like a party  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Jon, after you ate all that , what did you have for dessert? ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Weekend_Sawyer

Ice cream, pound cake and a nice 10 hour nap  8)

Thank You Sponsors!