iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Left over Shindaiwa 490

Started by Riprarin, June 06, 2012, 02:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riprarin

Hi,Everybody. I am new to the forum and want a saw for cutting 12in fallen and standing trees around my property. I would like to know if a Shindaiwa 490 (47.9 cc)  from the dealer would be a good choice for $400.00.   Thank You.

Ward Barnes

Quote from: Riprarin on June 06, 2012, 02:50:18 PM
Hi,Everybody. I am new to the forum and want a saw for cutting 12in fallen and standing trees around my property. I would like to know if a Shindaiwa 490 (47.9 cc) With a die cast engine would be worth buying new from the dealer for $400.00  Thank You.

Howdy and Welcome to the forum.  I have no knowledge of the Shindaiwa brand, however, it would seem to me that for that kind of money you could buy either a new or used Stihl in the same engine size and have a well known manufacturer with a world-wide network of dealers and parts availability.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Riprarin

Hello and Thank You. The on sale price of a Stihl MS250C-BE is $399.95, Husqvarna 445 is $429.99 and an Echo CS-450P IS $459.95 +13% TAX.

Clam77

Die-casting really has nothing to do with how a chainsaw runs as long as QA and tolerances are kept up at the factory level. 

From everything I've heard about Shindaiwa equipment, it's fairly good quality.  On the other hand- you're best off to look at dealer support in your area.  If the only dealer is a place like ACE hardware or box store, you're better off spending a little more and getting a better known brand of saw.

That being said.... check out your local craigslist listings and call and ask around to a couple lawnmower/chainsaw shops - they'll most likely have something for sale, be it refurbished or for sale as-is, or even on consignment that'd be just as good or better than what you're looking for, for cheaper.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

LorenB

Riprarin,

I have a Shindaiwa trimmer (weed whacker) that I've owned for ten years or more.  It gets used maybe once a year or so.  It starts every time (I use good gas) and gets the job done.  It was recommended to me when I asked the Husky salesman about buying a Husky trimmer.  He told me Shindaiwa makes better small equipment than Husky.  I found that surprising, considering how I love the Husqvarna saw he sold me a few years earlier, but the Shindaiwa seems to be working out. 

Having said all that, I see that a Stihl is basically the same price as the Shindaiwa.  From what I know about them (I don't own a Stihl, but my son-in-law does), you absolutely cannot go wrong with Stihl. 

I suspect that you'll be happy with either brand, but I'd probably choose the Stihl. 

Good luck,
-- Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Ianab

As far as I'm aware pretty much all the Shindaiwa line of power tools are "Commercial" grade. While their saws might not quite be up with the best models from Stihl or Husky etc , they are probably better than the "home owner" grade saws from either company. They are a long established Japanese company, and although they are not big in the Forestry industry, they are well respected in the professional garden care area.

Would I buy one? Depends on local support mostly. If you have a good dealer that stocks (or at least can source quickly) any common parts, and can service it for you if needed, then it's probably worth a look.

I would expect a saw like that to give many years of service as a part time firewood etc saw, and the 50cc range is good enough for smaller trees like that. Fitted with a 15 or 16" bar it should be a nice little unit.

There are several good chainsaw brands apart from the Big 2. Dolmar, Efco, Echo, Shindaiwa, Solo etc all make useful equipment as long as you have the parts and service backup in your area.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ladylake

Both the Stihl MS250 and Husky 445 have no where near the quality  the 488 or the Echo Cs450 has, The new Echo CS500p is right around $450 and the lightest 50cc saw made now, the 488 is also light but might have less power.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Riprarin

beenthere

Quote from: Riprarin on June 08, 2012, 09:38:26 PM
Thank You Everyone. I am the owner of a Shindaiwa 490. http://www.shindaiwa.net/shindaiwa/81237_490_SELLSHEET_EN.pdf

Bought it new since Wednesday? Any chance to operate it yet? Or still in the box?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riprarin

Bought it home tonight and will use it tomorrow if the weather permits. And it has an Oregon pro lite bar on it.

CTYank

Quote from: LorenB on June 07, 2012, 11:38:17 PM
Riprarin,

I have a Shindaiwa trimmer (weed whacker) that I've owned for ten years or more.  It gets used maybe once a year or so.  It starts every time (I use good gas) and gets the job done.  It was recommended to me when I asked the Husky salesman about buying a Husky trimmer.  He told me Shindaiwa makes better small equipment than Husky.  I found that surprising, considering how I love the Husqvarna saw he sold me a few years earlier, but the Shindaiwa seems to be working out. 

Having said all that, I see that a Stihl is basically the same price as the Shindaiwa.  From what I know about them (I don't own a Stihl, but my son-in-law does), you absolutely cannot go wrong with Stihl

I suspect that you'll be happy with either brand, but I'd probably choose the Stihl. 

Good luck,
-- Loren

You absolutely CAN. Nobody & nothing's perfect. Ever. E.g. some of their homeowner stuff is really delicate. At the other end, bring money. It's your money.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Riprarin

Hello, I chose the shindaiwa besause it is considered farm /commercial grade over the homeowner design. I have'nt got to use it yet but I like the sound of it. lol

Cut4fun

Quote from: Riprarin on June 10, 2012, 07:41:46 PM
Hello, I chose the shindaiwa besause it is considered farm /commercial grade over the homeowner design. I have'nt got to use it yet but I like the sound of it. lol

Dang the PHO only weight shin 490 10.2lbs is lighter then the stihl 026 10.6lbs.    smiley_thumbsup

Riprarin

Thanks and Hi, I have a Pioneer P41 66.CC and a Mcculloch Pro Mac 700 70.5cc ,Can you tell me, Are they worth anything or are they boat anchors?

ladylake

I wieghed my Shinny 488 on a good scale, just a little over 14# ready to cut , every other 50cc saw has been at least 15# ready to cut.  No bs on thier wieght.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

aquacanis

If you got close to 400 bucks, find a Sthil or Husky on sale and buy
it new.  Either one in the 45-50 cc range will be a much better buy.

lumberjack48

Quote from: Riprarin on June 10, 2012, 08:25:21 PM
Thanks and Hi, I have a Pioneer P41 66.CC and a Mcculloch Pro Mac 700 70.5cc ,Can you tell me, Are they worth anything or are they boat anchors?
There not boat anchors, in decent shape, running, $100. to $200. each. Clean-em up and put on craigs list, or keep-em for back up saws. If the P41 runs, i would run that till it gives up the ghost. Then keep the Mac for bucking up the bigger wood.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Full Chisel

You should snag it. If you want a new Shindaiwa chainsaw otherwise you'll have to smuggle it.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

Full Chisel

Quote from: Riprarin on June 08, 2012, 09:38:26 PM
Thank You Everyone. I am the owner of a Shindaiwa 490. http://www.shindaiwa.net/shindaiwa/81237_490_SELLSHEET_EN.pdf

smiley_devil_trident Yeah!!! smiley_devil_trident

*DING* He shoots. He Scores.

Ignore preveous F~C input. I missed this development before.

ladylake

Quote from: aquacanis on June 13, 2012, 08:24:54 AM

Neither Stihl or Husky make a saw near as good as a Shindawa 500 or 488 in the $400 and under price range, more like $550 to get the same quality.   Saws like the MS290 and Husky 455 are heavy with no where near the quality.  Steve

Full Chisel

Quote from: ladylake on June 21, 2012, 05:26:54 AM
Quote from: aquacanis on June 13, 2012, 08:24:54 AM

Neither Stihl or Husky make a saw near as good as a Shindawa 500 or 488 in the $400 and under price range, more like $550 to get the same quality.   Saws like the MS290 and Husky 455 are heavy with no where near the quality.  Steve

This guy is right on. 029/290 is a classic, but power to weight? It's a slug. Homeowner/Landowner class Huskys...well.

I know the OP bought the saw. We should have a party.

Also, Steve from LadyLake was the one in this thread I noticed bringing Echo into the mix. An Echo is a Shindaiwa. No debate required there. When I want to know more than I can find online or if the information gets contradictory, I'll call your shop or tech dept. And then I try to talk to a manager.

Echo is made with Shindaiwa molds and machines to their specifications in Illinois. Shindiawa was the ISA saw before Husky.

Echo is the sleeper that is gonna blow your doors off.

Kcwoodbutcher

I've had a 488 for more than twenty years. Never gave me any problems and I've cut tons of firewood with it. I like it's power to weight ratio and the fact it an easy starter.  The price twenty years ago was $325.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Thank You Sponsors!