iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tulip scale impact?

Started by OneWithWood, June 06, 2012, 01:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

This year we have experienced a major infestation of tulip scale.  The tulip poplars, persimmons, and a few other trees are covered with them and their honeydew falls like rain, leaving everything a sticky mess.  :(  It is my understanding that the larger-than-normal population of the scale is a consequence of the mild winter we just experienced (not enough sustained sub zero or single digit days).  Of course the larger-than-normal populations of ladybugs of past years has dwindled noticeably for some reason so the natural predator is lesser in numbers just when we really need them.
The tulips were already stressed by the major drought of 2008 and the minor drought of 2010.  Many of the smaller stems were already showing signs of dying without this infestation.
What is the liklihood that the tulip scale will take out large numbers of my more mature tulips (Liriodendron tulipifera)?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

I have no experience with it at all.  However, you rarely see dead yellow poplars, so they must deal with it pretty well.  I bet that they will make it, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

Weel the little buggers have started in on the red oak.  Major bummer  :-\
One With Wood

WDH

Oh no.  How are the poplars coping?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Qweaver

I noticed an area of trees and grass that looked like it was wet from a rain shower.  But it was not raining and I'll bet it was this critter.  I'll look closer the AM.  What am I looking for?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

OneWithWood

Queaver,
Look on the twigs for a hard lump.  The ones I see are orange in color.  The 'rain' causing the wet spot is actually the excrement from the scale.  Around here they call it honeydew.

WDH,
The tulips are not looking good at all.  I am watering the trees in close proximity to my house to help them out.  The red oaks seem to be taking a hard hit.  Oaks do not seem to be able to rebound like the tulips.  The leaves are falling as if it was late October  :-\

A good rain would help the situation.  Currently we are 8-10" behind in the rainfall department with no rain in sight. 
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!