iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seeking to establish business

Started by HirviFTW, June 06, 2012, 02:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HirviFTW

Hullo y'all!

We are two woodsmen from Europe looking to get into forestry and logging. Who do we talk to about jobs that need doing? Would that be county or city level?

Thank you and have a good one!

HirviFTW

KBforester

Welcome to the Forum! Where are you located?
Trees are good.

HirviFTW

Greetings,

We're presently still sitting in Continental Europe - Germany.

However, we're looking to relocate and start a business in the US.

We'd be grateful for any leads / advice for start-ups that anyone might want to give!

Like - who to talk to on county or city level about weather or not there is work to be done / contracting etc. The basic ropes  ???

We've been thinking about Texas / California (drought and a great deal of dead trees that need to be disposed of) in terms of location.

Have a good one!

HirviFTW

ouachita

The Houston, Texas area has plenty of dead trees from last year's drought and more will die this summer from the lingering effects.  Because of the humid, warm weather we have here in this part of Texas, a majority of dead trees will fall on their own due to rapid decay. 

Lots of folks in Texas have German heritage.  You'd fit right in.

Charles Westmoreland CF, RF
Registered Forester

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, HirviFTW.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but just because there are dead/dying trees does not necessarily mean that there is an abundance of logging opportunities.  There has to be a market for your product/service.  That market has to be developed first.

Maybe others can offer an insight.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HirviFTW

Hi guys,

thanks for your thoughts and comments! Will check back tomorrow. A thought on stuff German - if we had a Schnitzel for every tree that needs to be processed...  ;D FOOD glorious FOOD!

Have a good one!

HirviFTW

KBforester

HirviFTW, you will find that each state is very different when it comes to Forestry and logging. The New England states for example are mostly privately owned. If you worked there, you would be a private company working for a private land owner. There is some state, federal and city land to be logged, but not that much.

If you go to the Western side of the country, its a completely different story. Its like going from Finland to Russia (in terms of who owns the land).

I don't know much about Texas and California and how much state and federal land there is there. I expect its more like other Western states- maybe someone from Texas or California can describe what its like there.

Trees are good.

Brad_bb

Let's be clear, what exactly are you looking to do -logging?  Milling?  Other?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

HirviFTW

Good morning everyone!

We're looking to go into logging (thinning cutting and clearing cutting). We've got a harvester, forwarder, skidder and the usual.

No milling - except to sell, perhaps (Magicman rightly mentioned the importance of having a market to sell to).

Speaking of which - do you do most of your selling to mills? Or do individuals/firms usually buy the bulk of timber?

@ KBForester - "...going from Finland to Russia" - you've got that right! My business partner really is from Finland.

Is there someone from Texas / California out there reading this? We'd be interested in your experience and opinion on getting started there.

KBForester - "state, federal and city land..."

Would the city council be the one to talk to about enquiring for work on city land?

Who do you talk to when it comes to state and federal land? The Bureau of Land Management and / or the United States Forest Service?

Have a good one and thank you for reading and commenting!

HirviFTW

chevytaHOE5674

Around "here" State and Federal jobs and heck even many private jobs are all put out for sealed bid auctions after a forester has cruised the land and come up with some volumes of timber and pulpwood. Most jobs you will need a performance bond, insurance, references, cash down payment, etc.

Magicman

Most sawmills and pulpmills have limited quotas that are issued out to their regular loggers/haulers.  There is logging equipment idle because the mills will not take any more logs.  There are log yards stacked with logs under sprinklers because of a lack of need for lumber products.  Our papermill is only running at half of it's potential so they are only taking a limited amount of pulp logs and then only from their regular suppliers.

You mention Texas and California.  While both states are huge, they also have a huge amount of non-log producing acres.  My state is one of, if not the largest timber producing state in the nation.  We have a glut of product with a very limited market.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

Quote from: HirviFTW on June 07, 2012, 02:34:04 AM
We're looking to go into logging (thinning cutting and clearing cutting). We've got a harvester, forwarder, skidder and the usual.

Wow! That's a lot of equipment to move from Continental Europe to the US. Expensive to move too. Got any pictures of that equipment in operation in Germany?

What brand of equipment and do you expect to get service and parts in of all places Texas or California?

And how did you select those two relatively treeless states? There are certainly trees in some parts of Texas and northern California, but there's a lot of sagebrush too. Seems like your equipment is not well suited for those areas.

And have you researched markets in those areas?

Lots of questions about your request.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

HirviFTW

Hey guys!

Thank you for your replies and comments!

I'll check with my business partner as soon as he gets back about pictures.

We're looking at Texas and California because of the drought and the problems caused by numerous trees dying. You've got a point concerning equipment suitability (and trees in general), though.

We're still in the planning phase concerning the move and all.

I'll check back as soon as I've got pic info.

Have a good one!

HirviFTW

Magicman

There is virtually no market for last year's drought killed trees.  Once the bark slips, it is impossible for mills to determine their quality, so they are rejected.  There was a glut last year, but now most will just fall and make termite dust.   :-\

Kinda like the beetle killed pines, etc. in Colorado, Wyoming, etc.  Thousands of acres of trees dead and dying with no way to harvest them and no market for them.

Thank You Sponsors!