iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my first portable job scheduled, and a bonus!

Started by Delawhere Jack, June 05, 2012, 07:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Hey All, I just came back from visiting my first mobile sawing customer. He's got three cherry logs 18-21" and 6-10" long. They were one trunk of a three trunk tree that he cut off since it had been butchered by a utility crew a year ago and did not appear to be doing well. He's a woodworker, and he knew enough to seal the ends.

Two of the logs have a lot of tension wood, he was aware that this is a problem, but he said he would like them slabbed out and he'll see what he gets. The pith on one end of the worst piece was maybe 1/4 of the logs diameter from the bark, the others were somewhat better.

I'm guessing that the best bet to get anything useable is to put the logs on the mill with the compression and tension sides opposing each other horizontally? I'll search the forum on that, but any suggestions would help.

In talking, he mentioned that he's had some logs milled before. A gentleman in his eighties had come out several times with his LT40HD and done some milling for him. Sadly, the gentleman passed away 8 years ago.

I had to ask............ sure enough, he said that he just drove by the mans house the other day, and the mill is still there.....

I didn't press the issue. There'll be time enough to get an address when I return on Saturday to do the milling. I'm sure the man would rather see his mill put to good use rather than sit and rust in a driveway.

Don't bother asking where the job is.  ;D

cutterboy

Congradulations on your first job. I love sawing cherry, the wood cuts nicely and the boards have a beautiful color. Just make sure your customer knows he has to pay for damaged blades because it sounds like this tree may be a roadside or yard tree.

Have fun and make a little money, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

beenthere

QuoteHe's got three cherry logs 18-21" and 6-10" long.

Prolly a bit longer than that... ;D

or are the 18-20' long? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: beenthere on June 05, 2012, 08:32:05 PM
QuoteHe's got three cherry logs 18-21" and 6-10" long.

Prolly a bit longer than that... ;D

or are the 18-20' long? ;)

Sorry, 6', 8' and 10' long, 18"-21" dia.

I think I may have located the LT40 from the few clues he gave me and using a GoogleEarth search....  ;D

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: cutterboy on June 05, 2012, 08:23:07 PM
Congradulations on your first job. I love sawing cherry, the wood cuts nicely and the boards have a beautiful color. Just make sure your customer knows he has to pay for damaged blades because it sounds like this tree may be a roadside or yard tree.

Have fun and make a little money, Cutter

From looking over where the tree was cut, it looks like the chance of hitting metal is fairly low. I did advise him that I charge $25 per metal strike. The cherry looks nice, even just looking at the raw ends of the logs.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

Magicman

The best business decision that I have ever made was buying my LT40.  The worst was not doing it sooner.  The second best decision was offering a portable sawmilling service.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on June 06, 2012, 11:30:06 AM
The best business decision that I have ever made was buying my LT40.  The worst was not doing it sooner.  The second best decision was offering a portable sawmilling service.   :)

I found it, just as he described. I'm going to file this little nugget away for now. If I find that I can get enough work to justify buying it I'll pay his widow a visit.

When I first started seriously looking for a mill I saw a very nice low hours LT40HD sell for $10,500 at an auction. At the time I had no idea what the market value was, and I'd only brought about half that much. If I'd only known then what I know now....... :'(

Thank You Sponsors!