iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doughnuts

Started by Tom, February 29, 2004, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I was sitting here minding my own business reading the forum and listening to Leon Redbone on a Streaming Radio site that I like when my wife's hand passed a paper plate full of hot, sugared, freshly fried doughnuts under my nose and set them on my chest. Wow!  don't know how to handle this.   She swears they are non-fat, low calorie and won't make me fat. ;D

J_T

Hurry air ship to me I'm skinney. :D ;D
Jim Holloway

DanG

I'm intrigued by the fact that she could set a plate on your chest while you're sitting at the 'puter. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Duane_Moore

Tom.. :o :o :o cannot belive this. my wife made me homemade Donuts yesterday also. sour cream ones.  ther all gone now...we call them Bearsign. what a deal,  you too.    Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Tom

Good stuff Duane. ;D

DanG, I slouch in a spring loaded, High backed, office chair, almost lying down. It's easy to set a plate on my chest and my opulence keeps it from sliding. :D :D

JT, They don't seem to be lasting. :D

chet

Shame on ya Tom. Eatin'  fresh donuts in front of us and not even offerin' us one.    :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin_H.

Ok this just isnt right...Now I gotta get something to eat...hope theres something in the fridge...

And print this page so my wife can read it  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Percy

Donuts Rule :D
I dont think you Yanks have Tim Hortons, its like Winchells or somthin. Timmys coffee and donuts rule Canada. The coffee must have somthing very addicting in it cause I keep goin back.  The donuts are sugar and lard, half n half. Mmmmmmm
The home made ones are probably much better for you Tom.... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

redpowerd

i got a plate of hot dognuts passed to me today
amish dognuts
ever had one?
the wife cooked em up on a plate with my maple syrup.
tasted like the heel of a loaf gone bad.
them amish have NO taste ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Ron Wenrich

Well, you guys would have loved it around here last Tuesday.  We call it Fastnacht day or doughnut day.  It occurs on Fat Tuesday.

Tradition has it that all the fat has to be used before the Lenten season.  So, the old hausfraus would make doughnuts.  My grandmother would make a mashed potato doughnut.  Is this your Amish doughnut?

They would make 5-10 dozens for each family.  I've only had Fastnacht doughnuts like that twice since my grandmother died.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Norm

Doughnuts! I love doughnuts, I make one called bear claws. They are a rich raised doughnut without the hole in the middle. Hot out of the oil into lots of C&H sugar.

UMMM UMMM

Any chance we could get you to share your grandmas recipe Ron? They sound delicious. :)

redpowerd

i dont think there was any fat at all in them dognuts
it was merley circular loafs of bread.
hmm...proly taste good with norms peach jam. mmmmm
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Ron Wenrich

I have that recipe around here someplace.  My wife knows where it is, and she's out of town for a couple of days.  When she gets back, I'll post it.  

Rocky_J

We have Krispy Kreme donuts here, and they are quite addictive. I remember my grandmother taking me and my sister there as kids. Then they closed that store when I was about 12 and we didn't have Krispy Kreme any more.  :'(
About 6-8 years ago, Krispy Kreme came back to the Orlando area. There is a store about 5 miles from me, and some mornings the cars will be backed up around the block. They even have the bright red neon light that they turn on when they have fresh donuts coming out of the cooker.
 8)

Fla._Deadheader

Rocky, you wouldn't happen to be the RockyinFl that posts on a couple of Gold Forums, woodja???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

Thanks Ron, I'm a collector of old family recipes and cookbooks. My favorites are the old cookbooks that a church would put out for a fundraiser.

Rocky_J

FL-DeadHeader,
No, I do not frequent any gold forums. I'm on a couple tree care forums as Rocky J or RockyJSquirrel.

I still wanna donut!  :)

RavioliKid

Percy (and the rest of Canadians)

Do Hortons' doughnuts seem to have changed in the last year? :o

I always used to get the walnut sticks when I'd get near Hortons, but they seem different now a days. I skip the doughnuts and just quaff coffee when I'm zipping through Ontario any more.
RavioliKid

Percy

QuotePercy (and the rest of Canadians)

Do Hortons' doughnuts seem to have changed in the last year? :o

I always used to get the walnut sticks when I'd get near Hortons, but they seem different now a days. I skip the doughnuts and just quaff coffee when I'm zipping through Ontario any more.
Heya Rav
Im thinkin you are right. My daughter used to work at the local Tim Hortons and they made the stuff from scratch,but we heard that they were going to pre package and freeze every donut and have each  place just heatem up somehow. Just like Rotten Ronnies(McDonalds) :D :D

Tobacco Plug

"MMMM, Krispy Kremes", he said as his eyes glazed over and his belly growled.  Rocky, don't you just love to take a hot one and let it melt in your mouth.  I just can't understand how something so light can have so many calories!  Surely there will be Krispy Kremes in heaven.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Kevin_H.

anybody remember the frozen dougnuts from the freezer case at the grocery store, I think the brand name was "rich's".
When I was a kid, well before we had krispy kreme's mom use to put these frozen ones in the oven and bake'm up, man o' man talk about hot and good. Takes me back.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

SwampDonkey

Percy:

They have Tim Hortons in the NE US now. Over in Maine they have one, 45 mins from here, but its not as popular as it is in Canada. Tim's is even branching out in several rural communities here. There's been 4 new stores constructed here in the last 5 years. I never go there personally because they are too expensive for my taste. If I get a large coffee and muffin its usually at the 'Golden Arches' which runs about $1.49 + tax. Tim's is actually a US owned company now since the founder passed away (Parent company Wendy's, hmm Dave Thomas passed away also :-/  ). Maybe that says something about the food they're serving. ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Percy

QuotePercy:

They have Tim Hortons in the NE US now. Over in Maine they have one, 45 mins from here, but its not as popular as it is in Canada. Tim's is even branching out in several rural communities here. There's been 4 new stores constructed here in the last 5 years. I never go there personally because they are too expensive for my taste. If I get a large coffee and muffin its usually at the 'Golden Arches' which runs about $1.49 + tax. Tim's is actually a US owned company now since the founder passed away (Parent company Wendy's, hmm Dave Thomas passed away also :-/  ). Maybe that says something about the food they're serving. ;)

cheers

Thanks for the info Moose ;D.

Now this Krispy Kreme thing has got my cholesterol whining like a kid in a toy store. We gotta get that franchise thing happenin up here so I can clog my arteries  up as good as the next guy :D :D

Ron Wenrich

Here's the recipe for potato doughnuts, as requested by Norm.

This will make 12-14 doz doughnuts.  It takes a while to make, but well worth the wait.

2 cups  mashed potatoes
2 cups milk
2 cups shortening
3 pkg yeast
2 cups sugar
4 eggs

1)  Put yeast with 3/4 cup flour in 1 cup lukewarm milk.  Set aside until doubled.

2)  Mix all other ingredients together

3)  When yeast mixture is doubled, mix everything together.

4)  Add 5 cups of flour and let raise until doubled.

5)  Punch down

6)  Add 5 cups flour and let raise until doubled.

7)  Roll out, cut, & let raise until doubled

8)  Fry at 375

We would eat them just so, or roll them in granulated sugar.  They are a heavy cake doughnut.  A really good dunker.

Enjoy

Tom

In the late 50's, there was a "Spudnut' shop in Ft. Pierce, my hometown.  It was located, I think, just around the corner from Orange Avenue on S. 8th St.

It was a big hit.   We had only one donut shop in Ft. Pierce then.  It was a Coffee Shop called Huber's.  Hubers was known more for breakfast and hamburgers but served coffee and donuts to a select crowd in the mornings.

When the Spudnut opened, It was all anybody talked about.  The local businesses began ordering donuts for employees and nobody passed the corner without stopping in for a Spudnut and cup of coffee.  there were a few tables along the front wall and a showcase of some very common looking donuts. The difference in these and the ones that came from the bakery was that these were made from Potato flour.

I've often wondered what happened to Spudnut.  They lasted only a couple or three years and then went out of business in Ft. PIerce. I just did a Google search and find that there is a lot of info on a current Spudnut and a website of the original company created in 1948.  I've found nothing about history or franchises or anythiong like that.  There are some recipes, several touting that they are the original. :)  

Those were certainly slower times.

Thank You Sponsors!