iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry log value?

Started by jPell, June 03, 2012, 10:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jPell

Hello all. I have a friend that has 3 cherry logs laying on the ground up here in New Hampshire. They are each 10ft long, roughly 14 inches in diameter and pretty straight. One of them has a face full of nails but I am unsure how deep they go. I went to take a look at them because I'd like to put them through my mill for lumber instead of seeing him turn them into fire wood. He wants me to make him an offer but I don't what to screw him or myself. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little insight as to what they may be worth. Thanks in advance.

Wood-Mizer LT-15 with 3 beds, Husky 455, no tractor (yet).
There's something about a saw blade making its way through a piece of wood.

Woodhauler

Give him the same as he would get for firewood. You may spend more on saw blades then its worth.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

MHineman

Quote from: Woodhauler on June 03, 2012, 10:30:17 PM
Give him the same as he would get for firewood. You may spend more on saw blades then its worth.
I second that!
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

mikeb1079

QuoteGive him the same as he would get for firewood. You may spend more on saw blades then its worth.

good advice.  i just sawed up some old walnut logs i bought from someone's yard.  absolutely infested with nails.  basically worhtless as lumber and not worth my time.  figure out the firewood value and offer that or slightly above and if he balks just politely explain that bands are not cheap.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Al_Smith

In these parts a yard tree has no value at all .

jPell

Ok, thanks. I was thinking about offering him what a log yard would offer to buy them at (based on their pricing by grade chart) but the nails make me real nervous. I'm not really interested in replacing a bunch of blades over a couple hundred (possibly) board feet of lumber. I think I'll go the firewood route and see how it goes. A metal detector may also be in my not-so-distant future.
Wood-Mizer LT-15 with 3 beds, Husky 455, no tractor (yet).
There's something about a saw blade making its way through a piece of wood.

MJD

I would think the butt log would be the one with nails, the rest should be clean.

WDH

Yes, but the good grade is in the nail infested butt log. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MJD

Yes I no but some cherry better than none and ive seen some nice second and thrid logs in cherry.

bill m

Don't count on the 2nd or even the 3rd log being clean - not from a yard tree. In 20+ years as an arborist doing tree removals I have seen hardware in some strange places like the 4" tree limbs overhanging a roof where a roofer went crazy with a nail gun.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

I have no idea if you burn wood,but bring him some of your firewood and trade him even. You said a friend,right? If it was one of my friends I would just give it to them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NWP

Ask him how much it is worth to him for you to haul it off for him.  I definitely wouldn't pay for it.  I ruined a $27 processor chain the other day when it hit a bunch of nails cutting firewood.  Just because it isn't going through a sawmill doesn't mean those nails won't cost some $$$.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!