iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oversized walnut saw logs and root balls

Started by goodwood, June 03, 2012, 07:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodwood

new member here
im actively sawing with an lt28
i recently purchased some large standing walnut tree (48 to 56" diameter) that i can't cut on my mill.
i dont own an alaskan mill and my logger doesnt have one either.
i think i need to invest in an alaskan mill and a large bar and ripping chain?
should i slab the logs or just quarter them so i can make them workable for the wood mizer?
any advice is appreciated
brian

mikeb1079

check out the thread a little white oak.  i think it shows member customsawyer freehand quartering white oak logs about that size.  the boy is good.   ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Good evening goodwood, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kcwoodbutcher

There is much more value in the wide slabs than in the lumber, but like you said you can't do it on a mill.  This only applies if the tree is sound. many of those huge walnuts are hollow. If they are sound you may be able to sell the log to one of the specialty firms that market the slabs for a real nice price. See if you can find someone with a slabber near you, it will work a little better than an Alaskan mill.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

MJD

If the logs are that big and of good quality I would see what a veneer buyer would offer since you cant cut them with the equipment you have to get the most value (wide slabs). You could put the money towards a slabber for next time.

goodwood

thanks guys, i didnt know the difference between alaskan mill and slabber till now!
i found a guy with a slabber and im waiting for a quote.
i dont know any veneer buyers, sawmills are offering 2/board foot in the log and i may just cut the logs down and sell to them.
i have a molder and wanted to accumulate some walnut stock for my own use so i may buy the alaskan anyway, slabbers seem to be 10x the price
best regards
brian

MotorSeven

Brian are you going to try for any gunstock blanks out of the stump?
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Peder McElroy

If you buy an alaskan mill remember that you need a big HP chainsaw to run a big bar and chain.
Peder

Bill Gaiche

grweldon

Quote from: goodwood on June 04, 2012, 08:41:16 AM
thanks guys, i didnt know the difference between alaskan mill and slabber till now!

Would you mind explaining the difference?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ianab

QuoteWould you mind explaining the difference?

The Alaskan mill is basically a chainsaw mounted on a frame. You use a guide rail or the top of the log to guide the bar through the log. Relatively cheap, super portable, but slow, noisy and hard work.

The "slabbers" are either a chainsaw bar attachment, or a dedicated carriage, that runs with a Lucas or Peterson etc sawmill. Gives you a big bar powered by ~20hp 4 stroke, running on proper rails. More power, easier to use etc.

"Alaskan" style mill
http://granberg.com/

Dedicated "slabbers"
http://www.lucasmill.com/OurProducts/SlabbingMills/DedicatedSlabbingMill/tabid/274/Default.aspx
http://petersonsawmills.com/products/dws/

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

NWP

$2 per board ft for logs that size is low assuming they are decent quality.  Is that measurement DBH? 
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

westyswoods

Don't know what the market for BW in your area is. Find a reputable buyer and see what they will grade out as. If by chance they are veneer quality, hard to justify milling vs selling for veneer.
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

customsawyer

Send them down to me and I will take care of them for you. :D All jokes aside if you look at them long enough you will figure out a way. The easiest way is to cut them in half with a chainsaw to fit your mill.

This is me staring at the log trying to figure things out.

This is how they turn out.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_S.

Unless you modify an alaskan style mill by extending the depth rails, you would not be able to halve a log with one. Max cutting depth on the one I have is 12".
A slabber mounted on a swing mill has depth limitations too and cannot halve a log either but is a much easier way to make the "slabs" you refer to.
Though everyone tells me "slabs" are so much more valuable than boards, in the 16 years I milled full time, I was never able to sell one. Everyone "ohh-ed" and "ahh-ed" but no buyers. Walnut lumber flys out the door.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

paul case

Beware, ripping logs with a chainsaw can result in dusty pants disease. the only cure is to have more biguns to rip down. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

goodwood

Hi Guys
Just got back from the job sites.
I am pulling out the root balls and trying for gun blanks, which I hear is a soft and thin market.
I debated leaving the barrel's up to leverage the root ball up but I am afraid of shattering the log with the excavator.
I brought in a backhoe and we couldnt budge the root stock.
I need a slabber for sure. There is some veneer stock but for the life of me black walnut is so rare up here I need some contact info - please help!
I will most likely sell the best few and hoard the rest.
If anyone knows a man with a portable lucas mill for hire that will come to Eastern Canada I am all ears. I also need a logging truck for hire too.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: goodwood on June 21, 2012, 07:03:40 PM
I am pulling out the root balls and trying for gun blanks, which I hear is a soft and thin market.

It is a thin market. Yes, there is demand for highly fiqured wood for stocks, but probably half of the rifles sold today are synthetic stocked. They say that synthetic is "better", more stable, less accuracy variation due to humidity changes, but in reality it is a cost issue.

If you get some crotches to cut up, keep rifle stock blanks in mind. You'd generally want to limit the figure to the area between the recoil pad and the pistol grip, the area where the barrel and action are fitted should generally be fairly straight grained. You'll probably need to sit on them for a while while they dry, buyers want blanks that are ready to go.

Magicman

There seems to be a greater demand for the lighter colored California Walnut than our darker Black Walnut.

MotorSeven

DJ covered it pretty well. Anchor Seal the ends, then air dry for some time before kiln drying to try and keep the checks and cracks to  a minimum. Fish around on fleabay and you will see what sells and what does not.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!