iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow in DA U.P.

Started by Corley5, February 29, 2004, 05:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Dad and I finally made it to camp this weekend to shovel off the roofs.  We were getting nervous about the snow coupled with the rain that's in forecast.  We normally go up the end of January but couldn't make it this year.  It was a beautiful day but almost too hot to shovel snow ::).

From the haze in the air you'd think it mid-July except for the ice and snow

Lotsa a snow but not as much depth as there has been

We just went around the edge of the cabin roof and took off the frozen on snow and shoveled around the chiminey so the snow doesn't take it off when it slides off.

Dad and the snow that slid off the garage.  We shoveled the ridge and some strips and the warm air did the rest.  Metal roofs are the best 8)

The bad news was the tree on the tree on the garage roof.  It did some semi-major damage.  We'll have to replace about six sheets of roofing and quite a few roof boards.  Luckily it didn't break any rafters.  As soon as the snow's gone we've got some repair work to do.

Here you can see some of the damage.  According to the neighbors there was some terrific wind right before Christmas.  That's when we figure it happened.  There wasn't much snow on the roof to cushion the impact ::)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chet

Yer right about da warm temps. It's been warm all week, with today being da warmest. Da snow has takin' one he** of a beating.  :)  Road restrictions are already on also.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Corley5

We saw lotsa log trucks today considering it was a Sunday. ;).  A couple of em pulled outta Timber Products when we were heading home.  Followed em all the way to 2 and they turned west.  They weren't wasting anytime 8)  

chet

Corley5 do ya know if restrictions went into effect on da east end. Haulin around here was hot and heavy when da weather warmed up. Everybody was trying to git as much out as possible before the shutdown. Now the only jobs moving logs are those next to US2 or a state highway. In Iron County they will issue a haul permit only on a daily basis if it gets cold enough, but once restrictions go on here they keep them on until frost is out.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Corley5

I don't know if they're on in all of the east or not.  I saw signs in Mackinaw Co north of Engadine but didn't see any in Alger.  They'll be on here in the Northern Lower tomorrow.  We met a truck on our way in this morning on H-15 north of Shingleton.  It was early and he was loaded ;)

redpowerd

with that little bit of snow you got, makes me wanna be yer neighbor, land for sale up there?
come visit the adirondaks.  you can help me clear the roof ::)
again
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Corley5

Thanks for the invite.  I'd rather come visit when it's warm ;D.  With the warm weather the snow had settled alot and  was pretty dense.  The neighbors said they'd had 90" in January alone.  Earl had to blow their driveway everyday and some times twice a day.  The camp is 25 miles east of Munising just off  H-58 on Nevins Lake.  I didn't give a location before  ::)

Norwiscutter

heading up there next week to see if the snow has melted enough to uncover the camp. Planning on putting in the cabin this summer so we wanted to go up this winter and see how bad it would be trying to get back in there.  Usually we can guess pretty good as to how much snow is on the ground up there... about ten times as much as we get here in Northern WI.  My place is just south of Copper Harbor about 5 miles. I think it is one of the greatest places on earth... for the two months it isnt covered in snow. ;) I'll get some pics this summer.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Ron Wenrich

They had a blurb on the news last night about Oswego County, NY.  They had 150" of snow in January.  In one week they got over 7' of snow.  I bet that's a mess when it melts.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!