iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New roof and additions at the Banjo house

Started by Banjo picker, June 02, 2012, 05:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

This house is 28 years old the shingles are shot..really can't believe they are not causing leaks already...going to put metal roof on, add to the back porch ..cover the back porch ...build a tornado shelter out of concrete on a slab by the gragrage..then add to the grag. roof and have it inside .....I am hoping I can get this done in a year....There will be pics if you want to come along for the ride...Larry has requested pics you know.. ;)  So here goes....

I started out by building that ladder to go on the roof...cause I ain't spiderman either... :D

Here is the lathing ...Pine sawed at 5/4 ...air dried  on 2 ft. centers...Once the lath is down you can use it for a ladder till you cover it up...

I screw a couple of blocks to the side of the facia board to get the metal started straight with the house...Using a full R pannel ..Buckskin color...

I haven't got the end caps made yet...but I am satisified with the process thus far...I have been working on it off and on for a few weeks, but had to let it slide last week while I cut a couple of loads of big pine for a customer...I just put the metal on the porch  (Its a 4/12) friday....It was cool and probably the last really good roofing weather till fall...So I took off work and roofed...Working for the state don't pay much , but it does have a few perks..Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WildDog

Comeing together nicely Banjo, I like the idea of the blocks tacked on the side, thanks for shareing.

I'll be cladding Nicky's chicken coop in corrugated iron today if the rain keeps away......it's more like a big dog kennel, so I won't need to build a ladder. :D

[quoteWorking for the state don't pay much , but it does have a few perks.][/quote]

I'm in the same boat but aside from some time flexibility theres not many other perks left down here.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

I can just imagine sitting on that front porch in a rainstorm.   :)
Say when

Banjo picker

Roxie when I finished 6th grade, my mom bought me a tape recorder...and one of the first things I did was to go to the chicken house when it was coming a down pour and record that sound.I just should have pattened the idea.I had the fore runner to a sound machine.... I still love to hear rain on a tin roof...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Larry

I like the pictures and the color 8) 8) 8).

Were on our second house with a metal roof and think there great.  They keep saying there energy efficient but I'm not sure I understand.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

Thanks ...I have got the metal on the upstairs dormer and the side by the chiminey on the back but can't find the pic...I had some pics of the vent I put at the ridge and can't find it either....Banjo

JOE.G

I like the idea of the Blocks also, When I re did me roof on my house I also had redone a leaking roof on one of my out buildings, well go figure after replacing all the wood and the Shingles it still leaked. I should have noticed it before But the roof didn't have much pitch, SO I used metal roofing and leaks are gone and I enjoy the sound when it's raining.

The only thing I don't like is how the ridge cap doesn't have caps on the end it's just open so bats or what ever can get in there.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Banjo picker

Here is a picture of the back of the house as it is now...

The next step is to replace the back deck , which will be a covered porch..So that involves cutting a nice white oak and milling some lumber...

There is the logs now here is the lumber

Here is the first board down...

You can get a peek at the old weathered pine thats coming up....

There is the 4 x 12 beams that will hold up the new porch roof...It will tie in under the windows in the first picture...They will set on 8 x 8 post...

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JOE.G

Are you going to finish putting tin on the roof? It's nice making all your own wood.
STIHL 009 1998

Banjo picker

The porch is the next piece of the puzzle.. ;)..I am a little over half way replacing and redecking it. 

Peter Drouin

Good job your doing, keep the pics coming :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Banjo picker

I got the new white oak deck down and the 4 8" x 8" posts in place...

There is were I am at the moment....I cut the post with the 024 but I think I will cut the beam splice on the mill....will be about 3 ft of lap....Gona build a door for the gar. one of these days ;)  its on the list you know...You can see where I have had to replace a few shingles up there....Banjo

Magicman

Good job Tim.  At least you still have a job so you still get days off.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Your deck is slicker than ATF on a door knob.

GREAT JOB Tim! Now ya got me thinking about a new deck.

Should I build it out of CHERRY Magic....or follow Tim and go with White Oak?    say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Maybe if it is covered, but otherwise, I do not recommend Cherry.  Mine has all been replaced with (gasp) treated decking.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 19, 2012, 10:41:16 PM
Maybe if it is covered, but otherwise, I do not recommend Cherry.  Mine has all been replaced with (gasp) treated decking.

A Cherry deck sure is pretty when its first finished.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JOE.G

You not goin to Tin the whole roof? Deck is looking good.
STIHL 009 1998

Banjo picker

Not much cherry around here thats any good...Dad declared war on it cause it was supposed to be kill livestock if they ate certian parts of the tree...leaves I think....I have sawed only one decent cherry for a customer...

Yes Joe I am gona tin the whole roof...its just that the roof will be a little different than it is now....Banjo

Banjo picker

Found the disc that had the vent pics. on it...

Air out...no bugs in

Banjo

Thank You Sponsors!