iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New roof and additions at the Banjo house

Started by Banjo picker, June 02, 2012, 05:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

This house is 28 years old the shingles are shot..really can't believe they are not causing leaks already...going to put metal roof on, add to the back porch ..cover the back porch ...build a tornado shelter out of concrete on a slab by the gragrage..then add to the grag. roof and have it inside .....I am hoping I can get this done in a year....There will be pics if you want to come along for the ride...Larry has requested pics you know.. ;)  So here goes....

I started out by building that ladder to go on the roof...cause I ain't spiderman either... :D

Here is the lathing ...Pine sawed at 5/4 ...air dried  on 2 ft. centers...Once the lath is down you can use it for a ladder till you cover it up...

I screw a couple of blocks to the side of the facia board to get the metal started straight with the house...Using a full R pannel ..Buckskin color...

I haven't got the end caps made yet...but I am satisified with the process thus far...I have been working on it off and on for a few weeks, but had to let it slide last week while I cut a couple of loads of big pine for a customer...I just put the metal on the porch  (Its a 4/12) friday....It was cool and probably the last really good roofing weather till fall...So I took off work and roofed...Working for the state don't pay much , but it does have a few perks..Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WildDog

Comeing together nicely Banjo, I like the idea of the blocks tacked on the side, thanks for shareing.

I'll be cladding Nicky's chicken coop in corrugated iron today if the rain keeps away......it's more like a big dog kennel, so I won't need to build a ladder. :D

[quoteWorking for the state don't pay much , but it does have a few perks.][/quote]

I'm in the same boat but aside from some time flexibility theres not many other perks left down here.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

I can just imagine sitting on that front porch in a rainstorm.   :)
Say when

Banjo picker

Roxie when I finished 6th grade, my mom bought me a tape recorder...and one of the first things I did was to go to the chicken house when it was coming a down pour and record that sound.I just should have pattened the idea.I had the fore runner to a sound machine.... I still love to hear rain on a tin roof...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Larry

I like the pictures and the color 8) 8) 8).

Were on our second house with a metal roof and think there great.  They keep saying there energy efficient but I'm not sure I understand.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

Thanks ...I have got the metal on the upstairs dormer and the side by the chiminey on the back but can't find the pic...I had some pics of the vent I put at the ridge and can't find it either....Banjo

JOE.G

I like the idea of the Blocks also, When I re did me roof on my house I also had redone a leaking roof on one of my out buildings, well go figure after replacing all the wood and the Shingles it still leaked. I should have noticed it before But the roof didn't have much pitch, SO I used metal roofing and leaks are gone and I enjoy the sound when it's raining.

The only thing I don't like is how the ridge cap doesn't have caps on the end it's just open so bats or what ever can get in there.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Banjo picker

Here is a picture of the back of the house as it is now...

The next step is to replace the back deck , which will be a covered porch..So that involves cutting a nice white oak and milling some lumber...

There is the logs now here is the lumber

Here is the first board down...

You can get a peek at the old weathered pine thats coming up....

There is the 4 x 12 beams that will hold up the new porch roof...It will tie in under the windows in the first picture...They will set on 8 x 8 post...

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JOE.G

Are you going to finish putting tin on the roof? It's nice making all your own wood.
STIHL 009 1998

Banjo picker

The porch is the next piece of the puzzle.. ;)..I am a little over half way replacing and redecking it. 

Peter Drouin

Good job your doing, keep the pics coming :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Banjo picker

I got the new white oak deck down and the 4 8" x 8" posts in place...

There is were I am at the moment....I cut the post with the 024 but I think I will cut the beam splice on the mill....will be about 3 ft of lap....Gona build a door for the gar. one of these days ;)  its on the list you know...You can see where I have had to replace a few shingles up there....Banjo

Magicman

Good job Tim.  At least you still have a job so you still get days off.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Your deck is slicker than ATF on a door knob.

GREAT JOB Tim! Now ya got me thinking about a new deck.

Should I build it out of CHERRY Magic....or follow Tim and go with White Oak?    say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Maybe if it is covered, but otherwise, I do not recommend Cherry.  Mine has all been replaced with (gasp) treated decking.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 19, 2012, 10:41:16 PM
Maybe if it is covered, but otherwise, I do not recommend Cherry.  Mine has all been replaced with (gasp) treated decking.

A Cherry deck sure is pretty when its first finished.

JOE.G

You not goin to Tin the whole roof? Deck is looking good.
STIHL 009 1998

Banjo picker

Not much cherry around here thats any good...Dad declared war on it cause it was supposed to be kill livestock if they ate certian parts of the tree...leaves I think....I have sawed only one decent cherry for a customer...

Yes Joe I am gona tin the whole roof...its just that the roof will be a little different than it is now....Banjo

Banjo picker

Found the disc that had the vent pics. on it...

Air out...no bugs in

Banjo

SAWMILL BUDDY

Sweet Gum would be better than treated  :D :D :D

Banjo picker

How about an up date... Its been a while , but I have got some more done...I have had a couple of events that slowed me down a bit.... the worst was when my Mom passed the last day of 2012..... she was 94 and lived a good long life, but... you never are really ready for it to happen... My best buddy was there with me when she died...she liked about 30 mins. or so making 2013....

Then on a lesser scale...I had to rebuild the Perkins motor on my mill...I won't go into that on this thread...but here goes...

Here are the 4 x 12 beams getting put up.   

Pretty tough job for one ole man and his lady....but we got them up....

here is the way the back of the house looks now...I will also post a previous pic...

The old deck stopped just past the concrete steps... we added about 12 or so feet....

I decided that to put the tornado shelter on my existing slab by the grag. would waste too much space, so I poured 6 1/2 feet extention on the slab... I will only have to use about 2 foot of the existing slab for the safe room now...and I will have room to move one of my Willys in there to work on....

The new slab is 6" thick and has rebar on 1 ft. centers...I put in a few extra verticals to beef up the walls... they will be 8 in thick.... inside of the room will be  7 x 11...  I will drill in the verticals on the old slab and epoxy them in with some Hilti material....  That storm in Ok motivated me to get moving on this a little better...
When I get the tornado shelter finished...I will frame walls on the slabs and bring the existing roof over the top of it...so it can be accesed from the house without getting wet...  I will brick it when I am done....More to come

justallan1

A nice project and a great job, Banjo.

Allan

Magicman

First, I extend my Condolences to you and your family regarding the loss of your Mom. 

That extended roof was a nice addition Tim, and I share your concerns about these storms.  Pat and I just had a discussion yesterday about the safest place in our home.

Banjo picker

Got a little more done.  Drilled and epoxyed in the rest of the verticals.  Long rebar will tie to these short ones... but it is easier to work with till I get the inside forms up to only have the short ones there for now...The 2x4 s would not have been good enough for structural use...too many spike knots and the like, but plenty good enough to shoot down on the concrete to attach the forms too.

It felt good shooting the hilti again. 

I sold a pretty fair amount of my forms a while back, but I did keep several 2x3's and I have a lot of frames that can be used if I put new skins on them.  I went to the bone yard and got enough to just about finish it after I reskin them... Here is the inside forms... when I get them all set, I will deck out the top and tie the remaining rebar...

I should get the inside formed out tomorrow afternoon, will have to skin out a few forms...

I am going to build the door out of 1/4 steel...inside and out with some oak lumber sandwiched in between...I have and idea about how I can hang it, but I would like any comments about how it could be done....I'll have to lock into a system pretty quick....thanks Banjo

Magicman

Looks like you made good progress with the forms.   smiley_thumbsup

Banjo picker

Thanks Lynn, Its about too hot to do anything this evening, maybe later on. Banjo

Autocar

Very nice ! I often wonder what we would do in a tornado also. No interior rooms and no cellar guess we could tie ourselves to a little hickory tree  :-\.
Bill

Larry

Quote from: Banjo picker link=topic=58689.msg1007526#msg1007526
I am going to build the door out of 1/4 steel...inside and out with some oak lumber sandwiched in between...I have and idea about how I can hang it, but I would like any comments about how it could be done....I'll have to lock into a system pretty quick....thanks Banjo

I used ¾" pins, 3/8" hinge tabs, and the jam is 4" angle ½" thick.  3 hinges total.  Bolted the jam to the shelter walls.  I used 1-1/2" plywood for the core and 12 gauge for the skins.  Skins screwed and bolted to the plywood core.  Door sides were 3/16" channel.

The door was so heavy two of us could barely lift it.  Trying to hang it was impossible by hand, given the tight space in the safe room, so I used a strap with an engine hoist to get it close.  If I made another one I would weld an eye near the top of the door to attach the engine hoist.

The hinges worked well but you can tell it is really a heavy door when it swings shut.  Just like a bank vault.

Standard disclaimer...I haven't tested my door with an F-5 twister as of yet.  If it does fail you will never hear about it from me. :D :D :D

A picture while I was building it.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

QuoteNo interior rooms and no cellar guess we could tie ourselves to a little hickory tree 

I'd likely head for the car to either stay put, or to drive hopefully away from the tornado.
I think being in a car, there would be no overhead beams and roof or debris that could fall on ones head, although the car may be tossed, tumbled and wrecked but with a seatbelt on, likely would be held in a reasonably safe area, and when rescue comes looking for bodies (alive or dead) they wouldn't have to dig around in a building. Just my thoughts and what I will do.

I get a charge out of the many tornado warnings and directions... "Go to a safe place". That is really brilliant, to say the least.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

Autocar we were in pretty much the same situation.  We fretted about where to put some kind of shelter for a good while before we made up our mind to do it this way.. I think this will work for us.

Larry I thank you for the photo.  I will use that hinge design on ours as well when I get that far.  I got all the inside forms set and the shoring that will hold up the decking.  I will pour the walls and top all at one time.

beenthere: to each his own, but I don't think its recommended to be in a car in a tornado.  My grandparents lived in Guin Alabama when I was young, and I played ball with a young fellow my age when I visited them.  A tornado hit Guin in the early 1970's and Paul was in a car trying to get away form it... He didn't make it ... the tornado ripped him out of the car ... they found him later  hung in a tree dead....We had another killer tornado near here 2 years ago.. hit the small town of Smithville Miss.  Not too far from Guin.  Neither is very far from me.... Banjo

Banjo picker

I got all the rebar tied and some of the outside forms reskined.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Wow Tim, lotsa work.  I am anxious to see the pour.

Banjo picker

I placed the concrete two weeks ago yesterday (On a Friday)

I knew it wouldn't do to just say it was done with out picts.  I stripped the outside forms the first week, but won't take the shoreing out of the inside or pull any of the inside forms for one more week.  As I didn't make any cylinders. Protocall calls for 21 day wait on elevated slab without cylinders being broke.

I have placed thousands of yards of concrete, but this was the first time I just used a back hoe to do it with.  You can see where I had some gravel in the first pic.  Didn't really need it for the height, just wanted something there to remind me not to bump the forms too hard. 

Putting on the door is going to wait a while.  I am going ahead with the roof addition over this slab area now..  When finished I will have a bay to work on my Willys in... as a bonus

Ta ta for now... Banjo

isawlogs

Been following this for a while, nice to be schooled on tornado shelters. If anything, that is less worry  for us up here. Snow load yes , tornadoes, not so much.  :)

What type of roof typically goes on a tornado shelter...  ??? :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Banjo picker

Marcel this one is about 9 inches of reinforced concrete...(rebar on one foot centers each way)... the walls are 8 inches thick.  In the previous post from July 14 you can see the inside forms and rebar in walls and going over the top.  There is 6 ft of forms setting on 2 inch saw mill boards shot down to the concrete.  Then there are 2 x 6 's setting on top of the forms...you cant see them because of the banding of 1/2 in ply wood around the perimeter. Then its decked out with more 1/2 ply wood.  The 2 x 6's are on 1 ft. centers... There is also a 4 x 6 down the middle for support... it is resting on 3 4 x 4's .. None of that comes out for one more week.

All said it is 6ft 8 1/2 inches clear when inside. 

Banjo picker

Well I got some more done on this project...My first post said I thought I could do it in a year....well that didn't happen!  But I am closer than I was...

4x12 beams with 2 x 6 celing joists...decking it out for future storage and to make it easier setting the rafters.... shelter is stripped out, and looks good..no honeycomb...

Here it is with the rafters up on the new part and some of the lathing on...10/12 pitch aint no fun for a 58 year old guy to get around on.....

Here it is with the tin on it....I am holding off on that piece of ridge cap until I get the end caps to seal up the fly rafters....

Magicman

Looking Good Tim.  I am with you on that "year" thing.  I figured 6 months on my Cabin Addition and I guess that it took a couple of years.

Keep on keeping on my Friend.   :)

slider

looking good Tim.I know where your at on the year thing,it took me about 4 yrs of on and off building our house and I still have stuff to do.  al
al glenn

Banjo picker

Thanks guys.  It will probably take me 4 years to completely walk away and say I am done....If it took Lynn 2 years to get what he thought in 6 mo. I should have 4 years to get what I thought would take one.  It took me about 3 months on the shelter...and I have done one in a week before....But I did take my ever lovin time.  I am going to put red cedar on the gable end of the addition and under the new back porch as well as on the dormer.  I know I have enough drying in the barn to do the dormer and the gable... and I have some logs to cut some more for under the porch....I did get a door built for the garage where the dog kennel was propped up....red cedar....

That's 2 x 10's on that end wall.....I am about out of pine...time to go to the woods and get some more....The only wood bought is some treated 2 x 6's for bottom plates.... 8)    The brick will take a while.. Banjo

thecfarm

Takes time to cut the trees,cut the logs and than build with them. Some people was having a fit that it was taking me so long to build the Women Cave. I call them talkers. They talk alot about how fast they could do it,but they don't offer to help. It's not like that is the only thing I had to do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Tim, I am sure that you have thought about Cedar and Carpenter Bees.

Banjo picker

I still work a 40 hr a week job for the great state of Miss myself, besides the custom sawing job that comes around ever now and again... I did have a buddy come over for 2 days when I was putting the bulk of the tin down...He was a great help on the ground , kept me from having to get down for every sheet... Yes Lynn I have carpenter bees around here...when they were in their heyday mating I killed about 50 with a tennis racket in the barn loft...kinda fun...I am gona build some traps for the little fellows for next year.  Didn't someone on the forum build some this year?   

There is the door I finally built and a sampling of my brick laying skill.  Banjo

thecfarm

Brick laying skills are nice. Mighty nice.
WDh had the traps. I hope they are working good for him.

Magicman

I saw several in my traps Monday.  My Daughter gave them to me for Father's Day last year, and yes, they work. :)

Nice ERC door and bricklaying skills Tim.  smiley_thumbsup

isawlogs

Nice work there old man, you have talent. May call you to come up here for some vacation, a little brick layin' while here should not deter from a little vacationing..... ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Banjo picker

Marcel if you have very much to lay the vacation might take all summer....I was slow when I did that, and now I am older and even slower.... ;D  But if I ever do get up that way, I am goin to give you a holler....Tim

isawlogs

Tim, if ever you come up this way you can count on room and board, I really don't have any of them bricks or plan on laying any down, I got me a sawmill and it provides me with boards... bring a hammer  ;D

Marcel

Banjo picker

Lots of brick down here.  One reason is that some if not most insurance companys give a price break if the house is 3/4 or so brick.  Mine has went up so much I wonder if they have forgot?  I hate to think what its gona be when they see the addition.   Tim

mesquite buckeye

First time I saw this one. Looking good. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Banjo picker

Thanks mesquite.  Its a work in progress...Next thing is putting some red cedar on that big dormer in the back...got some down out of the barn today.  Tim

Banjo picker

Got some siding installed...boy is it a job to make with my ole planner and table saw.

I put tar paper under it...don't know if I needed to or not...but I did...screwed it on with stainless screws....I tried using a dado blade on the saw, but ended up just running it through the saw to make the lap...that's 6 passes per board ...after they are planed.  I wish I could keep that fresh planed look.  any body got a any suggestions? 
Banjo

Magicman

No suggestions, but it looks good now.   :)

Bruno of NH

Mr Banjo
Try Sikkens on your new wood siding it will keep that new look .
Hope that helps
Jim Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Banjo picker

Thanks guys, and I will look up that product.  Banjo

clww

Looks great! The tin, the bricks, the wood....all of it. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Banjo picker

Got a few more things done, still plenty left to do.  I have installed some of the end caps on the roof, the trim gives it a nice look I think.

I also have installed some anchors from the concrete to the frame of the new structure, still have a few to put in.  I drilled into the slab and epoxied a threaded rod into the hole with hilti epoxy , screwed what I would call a Richmond tie onto that then wielded the end of the tie to a piece of rebar then weilded threaded rod to that and tightened it down.  I have anchors going all the way through the 4 x 12 beams, but cant get a very good pic of that. Pictures say it better than me telling it.   

I hope to get some more done as the weather cools a bit this fall.....I hope.  Banjo

Banjo picker

Took off the rest of the week to go along with the Thanksgiving holiday to work on my addition, and cut some wood.  Had several unforeseen problems crop up with some rental property we have that had to be fixed first.  Here is a picture of the ceiling of our back porch addition that I put my cedar on, actually finished this a while back but haven't posted pictures on this thread.  It took more of my wood than I thought it would, so the gable end will have to be done in pine. 

And yes those lights stay up all year round. 
Here is a picture of me hanging the frame work for the board and batten siding.  I was going to go with cedar on this wall, but I wouldn't have had enough. 

This pine has been under my shed drying for over a year.  I got the boards up this evening but didn't get a picture...first thing in the morning....Banjo

Banjo picker

....I got the boards up yesterday.  Hated ripping these boards down to 10 from 14 inches.  Banjo

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like the ventilation gaps. Reminds me of Grandpaws old barn in N.C.

Thank You Sponsors!