iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spitting gas out carb

Started by Lucman, June 02, 2012, 03:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucman

My Stihl 028 WB just started spitting gas out the carb, will cover your hand quickly, still runs but very poorly, any thoughts?

Joe
Wood-Mizer LT-40
Mesick, Michigan

fuzzybear

I've had the same thing happen on my 028 and it was a broken piston skirt. Easy way to tell is pull the carb and look at the skirt. It will run, but just barely.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Lucman

Thanks.. will check later to see
Wood-Mizer LT-40
Mesick, Michigan

ladylake

If it has a muff screen check that also.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

sablatnic

I was about to say the same, check the screen.

terrifictimbersllc

I have my 028AV in parts in a tupperware box with the same problem:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,43560.msg628784.html#msg628784
Nothing wrong with the muffler screen that I can see.  It runs fine without the filter, both idle and at speed, even though compression is measuring 70psi. Flooding of the filter with the spit out gas is what stops the saw.  It was suggested that the compression leakage is the problem and I need new rings.   I hope to get on this as I like the saw and even though it is 25 yrs old all I used it for was to cut firewood for myself for about half that time. 

ps anyone can tell me where to get the rings or recommend a different piston overhaul procedure/kit maybe this will help me get started and I can post my rebuild.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!