iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank you woodmizer! LT40 repower kit

Started by paul case, June 01, 2012, 10:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

Some of you know that I have been having trouble with my onan24 lately. I thought it was the coil and after spending $115 on a new one, still no go. I think it may be the module behind the flywheel. I havn't been happy with it anyway, so I called WM and they told me they sell a kit to repower my mill with a kohler 25hp and they had 7 of them awaiting new homes. I bought one. That was Wednesday and I didn't figure to get it till Monday. I called WM on Thursday to get the shipping info and they said it shipped out that morning on USF Holland. I called USF Holland to check on it today about 1 and it was already in Joplin, just 20 minutes from me. I went and picked it up and installed it on my mill this evening.
BOY! I am impressed. It runs a lot faster than the old onan and is quieter. The kit had new belts and all the wiring and instructions and mounts. It even included a belt tension guage.
Time will tell the real story, but for now I am 1 happy customer.

Thanks woodmizer. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sawguy21

;D Sounds like a very complete kit. These guys are good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Wow Paul, it sounds like good got better.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

That is one of the things I love about WM. When they send parts there is usually great instructions that come with it. If there isn't any instructions they are just a phone call and will talk you through the process.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WH_Conley

I went the same route on my LT40 a few years back. The Kohler has saved enough fuel to pay for its self.
Bill

Beavertooth

About 3 years back I took my 24 horse onan off of my 1988 LT40HD and put a 38horse kohler on. Should of have done it a long time ago. Like having a completely different mill. Which it was. I talked to Greg Brock at woodmizer about changing it and he told me all I had to do was shim the new moter up 1 inch and put a shorter belt on. The only other thing I had to do was custom fit the guard that goes over the alternator belt. The 40 horse kohler was $400 more than the 38 horse. I didn't think it was worth the difference for 2 more hp. If anyone is where they can afford it I would definitly suggest going to a newer bigger motor. The new motor was actually lighter than the old one even with the 14 extra horses
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

ladylake

Another vote for more power, the 34hp on my brothers TK2000 has way more power than the 27hp Kohler I had on my mill before I put the Isuzu on. The 34 hp doesn't seem underpowered, the 27 hp just didn't have enough in wide cuts.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

millwright

You will like the Kohler,I have the 25 hp and it seems to have plenty of power and is pretty good on gas usage.

Peder McElroy

Beavertooth

I think I paid about 2800 for my 38 hp and that included the shaft I had to buy extra to put the drive pulley on. I know it wasn't any more than that.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

paul case

I used it for a couple of hours today and the more I use it the more I like it.

It cost me $2265 and it came with pulleys, shims, new belts,guards, bolts and instructions. It took me about 2 hours to switch it over and 1 hour of that was messing with the belt tightener turnbuckle.
Color me tickled .... orange. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Good to see you're up and going again Paul.

I've been thinking about repower for a while now, but I've not experienced any engine problems so far this year.

If this engine gave me problems I couldn't shake, I'd go with the Kohler.

That should be quite a while yet, I only have 1,700 hours on my mill now!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!