iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Pine Pin Knots and Spike Knots??

Started by g_man, June 01, 2012, 08:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I was looking at some specs for White Pine saw logs. They used red knots and black knots to dfferentiate some of the grades. At the bottom it said deductions would be made for pin knots and spike knots but they did not define the deductions nor what grade logs were affected. I can only guess at what they meant by  spike knots and pin knots.  Are there standard definitions for these things ? If so, I would like to know what it is so I can understand how they reduce log quality. Thanks.

WDH

From what I learned, a spike knot was a limb that departs from the main stem at a 45 degree angle.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

g_man
Here is an earlier report on white pine log defects. No mention of the spike knot, but the limb that WDH describes has possibly been added to log specs. And likely as a result of grading logs for structural wood.
http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/research_papers/pdfs/scanned/OCR/ne_rp190.pdf

Here is a link to log grading specs for a Maine mill. No mention of spike knots.
http://www.hancocklumber.com/sawmill/log-specifications
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

g_man

Thanks. I am just starting to think about cutting some of my pine next winter. I have a lot of lower grade stuff I want to remove.  Guess I should have found a current spec first. The spec I was looking at was also a Hancock but from 2006. At least now I know what a spike knot is and the structural defect explanation makes sense. Thanks again.

WDH

Usually a spike knot is a term used in grading lumber.  It is seen on the radial face (perpendicular to the growth rings) and generally runs through the width of the board because it was sawed (split) longitudinally leaving the whole length of the branch stub in the board.  Spike knots make the board very weak, and many will break at the spike knot.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

redprospector

Quote from: WDH on June 02, 2012, 07:04:40 AM
Usually a spike knot is a term used in grading lumber.  It is seen on the radial face (perpendicular to the growth rings) and generally runs through the width of the board because it was sawed (split) longitudinally leaving the whole length of the branch stub in the board.  Spike knots make the board very weak, and many will break at the spike knot.

This has always been my understanding on a "spike knot". But what do I know?

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!