iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

395 XP Husky ?

Started by Autocar, June 01, 2012, 03:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Saws about a year and four months old, had problems right from the start I would have to pump on the gas triggger and it would give you the idea it wasn't getting enough gas. Then it just shut off like you hit the kill switch, I pulled it apart and the piston on the exhaust side of the piston was scared up and the rings were flush with the piston one of the members on this forum gave me that idea. I put a new jug and piston on it and fooled around with it for a few months then got it running pretty good again ,then this past week it started again had to pump the gas trigger at first to keep it running then it would take off. Ran two days real good and then shut off like the kill switch was engaged. Started her back up ran for a few seconds then shut off again and that was it. Today I pulled it apart same as the last time . You can hardly tell where the ring groves start and the piston starts and also this was on the exhaust side of the piston. I had it back to the dealer twice and each time it would start over after a day or so. I wonder if its not to lean of fuel I always shake my fuel jug sence ethonel is added but not sure whats going on. Any other ideas ?
Bill

JohnG28

There could have an air leak somewhere. This would lean it out and cause the damage. Maybe around the intake boot, seeing as this has happened twice with each p/c. Sorry to hear ya roasted your saw.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

lumberjack48

Just going to ask, have you checked the spark arrester screen ? I've seen this happen with Husqvarna just from being set to lean. For some reason its getting to hot, and having a melt down. Just about every time this happened to one of my saws, a crew member was trying to cut up the last drag with a dull saw.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

No I haven't checked the spark arrester screen I will look at that. It was around 85 degrees the day it took a dive but the other time it probably only had ten hours on the engine and it was November. The kicker to the whole story, I go get one of my 088's Stihl probably hasen't been started in two years I unscrewed the gas cap and smelled ok so I chocked it and away it went  :D. Problem is I can't carry them all day like I use to  ::) thats why I went to husky's
Bill

sharkey

Autocar,
Before you do anything else, do a pressure test on the crankcase.  The case should be able to hold 5-7psi for an hour.  If the case passes the pressure test, the second test is a vacuum test.  Again, it should hold 5-7 psi in hg of mc.  Once those crank seals begin to leak, then the carb cannot hold a tune.  Your indication of feathering the throttle to keep it running tells me there is a leak.  Use a spray bottle of soapy water to find the leak.  Small tough to find leaks go straight into the water bath in the stationary tub while pressurized to find the bubbles.  Place a strip of rubber inner tube between the muffler and the cylinder to seal the exhaust.  For the intake remove the carb and use a plug or cork.   Keep the sparkplug in the cylinder and pressurize through the impulse hose.       

barbender

I had a saw that acted like that, melted it once and the Husky mechanic tried to blame me. I figured it was an air leak, I found it after it was rebuilt cause it still didn't run right. It ended up being a faulty carb boot clamp that Husky had updated. Air leaks kill two strokes.
Too many irons in the fire

Autocar

I pulled another old saw apart and used the piston and jug and it runs fine, so I think it will be traded in.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!