iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need factual opinions on three different mills

Started by grweldon, May 31, 2012, 08:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Howdy y'all,

I will be placing an order for a mill next week and I've narrowed down the choices to three different mills, listed in no particular order:

The Cook's MP-32, The Norwood MX-34, and the TimberKing 1400.  I like all of them, I like different things about each and I'm looking for people who have practical experience with any of these specific mills.  I'm sure I could be happy with any of them, as I'm sure they would all do a good job.  I'm looking at the power head and carriage options for all and the mobile trailer package.  For the price, the Cook's has the largest engine available at 29 (FI) or 30HP and they are located only 2 hours away from me so no delivery charges.  The TimberKing has at least one option that the other's don't, a manual log turner and the power features are hydraulic, not electric, and they have been good folks to deal with but it's really all coming down to price and delivery.  I'm going to be making a decision on Monday so any good information anybody can give me would be appreciated.

I don't want to offend any sponsors, but my research has narrowed my purchase down to one of the three... I'm not interested in others...

Thank you... can't wait to hear what y'all have to say...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

kelLOGg

I have experience (10 years) only on the MP-32. It is a rugged, well made mill; I have put my own labor saving features on it because at the time I purchased it such options were not available as they are today and I just like to modify equipment. The only design feature I did not like was the angle of the pull on the winch loader; it pulled too strongly against the squaring arms making it difficult to turn a large log. They have solved this problem on later models by putting rollers on the tip of the squaring arms. My gallery shows my solution. The Cooks are good to deal with, they enjoy solving problems and make fine equipment. I'm probably too far away for a visit but you'd be welcome to see mine.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

grweldon

Thank you Bob... I'll check out your gallery.  I'm going to visit the Cook's manufacturing facility tomorrow morning and actually see one...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

moandrich

I looked at the Norwood, nice looking mill.  I really like the ability to easily add things to the mill as you need them, less upfront cost.  Almost bought the cooks but the shipping was way to much.  Ended up with a used Wood Mizer and we are very happy with it.  I have talked to All three of these companies and they where all very knowledgeable and just plain nice.  I found it interesting that none of these where pushy at all.  It was nice, they just provided me with the information I asked and let me make my own decision.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, grweldon.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF grweldon! It sure would be difficult to decide which mill, with all the good mill companies that sponsor this forum.  Milling can be a hobby or a full time occupation and everything in between.  Katrina, the storm, got me into the mill business.  I was just going to mill a few trees that toppled over.  Now,  its become a part time business.  I always like hearing about what kind of trees folks plan to mill.  Being close to Cook's Saw, my first guess would be Southern Yellow Pine?   
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

grweldon

Thanks to all who have welcomed me!

MOANDRICH: I have also spoken to all three manufactures that I have narrowed the selection to.  For the most part all have been kind and friendly.  I've had minor issues with all three.  I found one to be slightly pushy, making sure they told me how their mills were better than the others, but I'm a manufacturing engineer and I know what I see when I look at it.  I just sift through all the bull.  I'm buying the mill primarily to cut siding for my house.  I have 60 acres of pine, but I don't know if it's SYP or any of the dozens of pine types.  I have occasional cedars that I probably won't cut, quite a few Live and Pin Oak that are large enough to mill.  My first attempt at milling will be 5 medium to large size pecan trees that were blown over in a storm about 3 weeks ago in a friends orchard.  I've been told that once it's milled that pecan and hickory look almost indistinguishable from one another.  I wish I knew the structural properties of pecan.  It would help me decide how to cut it.  I'm also building a house and I'm intending to cut pine for horizontal T&G siding inside and out with hardwood flooring where appropriate.  I also need to build a hangar for my ultralight, a garage and a workshop.  Seems as if I have many years of work ahead of me.  Hope I can get a good chunk of it done before I die or Jesus returns!

Thank you for your reply... Off to visit Cook's in about 50 minutes...

Jeff

Starting off with Pecan is kinda like learning how to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

medic

I can't help you on the Norwood or the Cooks.  I currently own a TK 1400.  It's my second TK mill, the first being a 1220. 
    The electric winch loader works well, not fast but well.
    The manual chain log turner does a good job on logs up to about 24 inches.  Above that and it's easier to use a cant hook to make the turn. 
     The hydraulic power feed was a nice addition after working with an all manual mill for years.
     The 1400 comes standard with a transport package and a 21 foot cut length.  I'm not sure about the other 2 mills you're looking at.
     My 1400 has the 25 hp motor on it.  I've not had any problems with having enough power.  On some tough logs you may have to decrease your feed rate but that's the case with every mill out there until you get up into the high dollar mill range with the significantly larger engines.  (40 hp or better). 
     I usually work alone so the combination of features on the 1400 to save wear and tear on my body as well as increase my production rate are a huge improvement over an all manual mill. 
    My $0.02, the 1400 is an outstanding personal mill or to use as a hobby mill if you occasionally cut for other folks.  It's economical enough to purchase and operate that I don't feel like I have to have a milling job every week to justify owning it.  If you want to make a living with a mill you probably need to look at a more powerful, all hydrulic mill.
    Hope this helps, good luck. 
scott   
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: grweldon on June 01, 2012, 08:09:23 AM

Thanks to all who have welcomed me!

MOANDRICH: I have also spoken to all three manufactures that I have narrowed the selection to.  For the most part all have been kind and friendly.  I've had minor issues with all three.  I found one to be slightly pushy, making sure they told me how their mills were better than the others, but I'm a manufacturing engineer and I know what I see when I look at it.  I just sift through all the bull.

There are a lot of factors involved in such a decision... When I bought my first mill and again when I bought my little retirement LT-10 I did a LOT of looking. A huge part of the choice in my case was who was local... I am a walk in and yell up close kind of guy.  ;D ;D ;D
Kasco's factory was only about 8 miles from me.
I sit between Woodmizer's main office in Indy and the Batesville IN factory. About 30 miles either way. I figured I could surely find somebody to grab and shake at one place or the other.  ;D
As a manufacturing engineer I am quite sure that you have already studied finish and structure (even if you were not about to buy  :)) just automatically. I suspect that your most interested here in history of customer treatment. This is the kind of business where if you don't do a generally acceptable job in that department you don't get to be in it for many years. If you don't treat a customer well these days 2,000 people will know about it tomorrow. Of course all of us pretty much understand that there will always be a couple of customers that will be disgruntled no matter what is done for them and we kind of automatically adjust what we read to allow for that.
Actually it has been quite a while since I have felt truly miss-treated by any business other than a bank...

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

paul case

Quote from: Jeff on June 01, 2012, 08:21:10 AM
Starting off with Pecan is kinda like learning how to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool.  ;)

Here in OAK country I would have thought the same thing about milling any softwoods such as pine.

Watch for stress in those pecan logs. the cant or boards will bow as you are cutting. It will be noticeable. Don't take a tape to those pieces that bow while you are cutting them and make an conclusions about your mill. Stress wood is not a good place to test out a mill for accuracy. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishpharmer

grweldon, in hindsight, I probably should have just hired someone to mill some of those storm logs.  That would have been a good way to get to see a mill in action, learn some technique and hear first hand about sawmilling. 
I have found there is a lot more to sawmilling than first meets the eye.

Let us know how your visit goes.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: fishpharmer on June 01, 2012, 10:04:55 AM
I have found there is a lot more to sawmilling than first meets the eye.

The same can be said of marriage...  :)  49 years next month and I am still trying to find an instruction book that makes sense.   ;D ;D ;D

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

dgdrls

grweldon,

Welcome aboard!!
the three units you are looking are fine machines,
I cannot speak to them specifically however, when I purchased it boiled down to
customer service,  WM Northeast is within 10 minutes of my full time job,
easy choice for me.

Have a great time with the Pecan,
here is a link to my first cut on a Hickory log page 2 at end
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56022.20.html#lastPost

DGDrls

Magicman

Live Oak and Pecan would be a the bottom of my "want to" list with Pin Oak closely behind.  I hope that none of the logs include limb wood.  You will challenge yourself as well as the sawmill. 

Good luck with your sawmill choice.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

The mills you have narrowed it down too all have a decent reputation, but I have to ask why a comparable Woodmizer didn't make the list?
Too many irons in the fire

samandothers

Welcome GRWELDON!

I hope you had a great time at Cook's.  I too was interested in and compared the 3 mills you are looking at.  I was fortunate enought to visit some folks that allowed me to look and and play a bit with a Norwood and Cook.  As you I wanted certain features on the mill regardless of the one I bought.  I did the spreadsheet thing of with base cost, added powered items,any engine upgrade or bed extensions to cut length I wanted or packages to get items I wanted to ensure I was looking at apples to apples. I included tax and shipping or costs for me to pick up and these made quite a bit of difference too. Cook's was looking pretty good! 
Kinda like Indiana Robinson stated, I think what tipped the scales for me was having a dealer close by I am less than an hour from a Wood Mizer dealer here in NC.  I had to opportunity to go to an open house there and play with the different mills. The dealer has been great to work with and  Wood Mizer was running some specials.  I decided on a Wood Mizer.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to the forum./
Good luck in choosing a mill. All 3 mfgrs are reputable.
But... "factual opinions" is an oxymoron.
I am a WM guy but if i were you I would lean toward Cook's as i have had excellent service from them on blades and especially will blow their horn for the new .045 steel and the new profiles.
They were nice enough to send me a cam for my WM sharpener for their new profile.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

moandrich

Quote from: barbender on June 01, 2012, 02:16:55 PM
The mills you have narrowed it down too all have a decent reputation, but I have to ask why a comparable Woodmizer didn't make the list?

I was afraid to ask the same thing.  We ended up with a Woodmizer and didn't want to sound bias.  I do not think there is a portable deck that is better, set up time is amazing.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Greg Brown

Hello GRWELDON

I bought the Norwood MX34, totally manual, set it up stationary,  back in December '11.  I liked the idea it could be easily upgraded as I am able to. I liked assembling it and seeing how it was put together. Everything is very well thought out and ALL of the parts were there. The mill performs just like Norwood said it would.
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

bushhog920

where you at i live about 1.5 hrs from cooks too in south montgomery

barbender

I was afraid to ask the same thing.  We ended up with a Woodmizer and didn't want to sound bias.  I do not think there is a portable deck that is better, set up time is amazing.
[/quote]

I was waiting for someone else to ask the obvious, but no one was stepping up ;D. They are all good mills, I bought a Cook's sharpener and they are built like a tank.
Too many irons in the fire

fat olde elf

Bob Kellog and I are in 100 % agreement about Cooks. I Also bought an Mp-32 10 years ago. I carefully researched all of the market and chose Cooks. They have always been fast and very fair to me. I also have their Cats Claw Sharpener and it is superb.  I understand that Samandothers has ordered a fairly complicated WM model. Not for me.  Good luck on your quest. Say your prayers!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

cutterboy

Quote from: Indiana Robinson on June 01, 2012, 10:34:13 AM

The same can be said of marriage...  :)  49 years next month and I am still trying to find an instruction book that makes sense.   ;D ;D ;D

:D :D :D

Let me know when you find that book!  43 years for me.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!