iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford F-1000 with hydraulic boom

Started by beerguy, February 29, 2004, 11:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beerguy

Howdy folks,

I just scrounged a "log skidder", a vintage piece of logging equipment up here in the Northwest. It is a axle set with a toungue out front with a bar sticking up about 5 feet, with a set of rollers in a hoop. You put your winch cable thru the 'hoop' and when the log gets there, the front end of the log is off the ground, enabling you to skid it where you want to go. I will post pictures soon if ya like.
My question: I was checking out the other stuff this guy had, (he was moving, hence the freebie log skidder) and he has a 1964 Ford F1000 truck with a hydraulic boom on the back. It has its own power, (OHV 6 banger) a cab to sit in whilst using the boom, dual axles/wheels, neat old setup.
I need someone to talk me out of this, as the price is real reasonable. I know I will need to replace rubber, (all ten) but I could sure use that boom to load logs on my mill, (ground model Hudson 52")
Anyone have a horror story that will set me straight? I haven't heard it run, but it turns over (OHV V8), and I am sure that the points are old. I was planning on putting a flatbed on the back and using the boom as a stand alone stationary unit. It is soooo cheap, I cannot help but want this thing. HELP!!!!

BW_Williams

Hey beerguy, the first piece of equipment is called an arch and they were made with track or tires, I built a small one and use the heck out of it.  The Ford with boom, what kind of loader is it, does it have a grapple or wire rope. And  brand/model.  And price?  And the guys #? :D, well I had to try.  Please post a pic of the arc over in Forestry and logging section.  Good luck, BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

junkyard

The truck may have a reset button on the riders side if so should have elctronic ignition if so points will last 50 or 60.000 miles The horse itself is great drove an old tractor converted to a dump for a readymix outfit could not kill it 21yards of gravel on it and towing a T800 mixer loaded with 10 yards of concrete. Pulled it easy.
            Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Frank_Pender

BG, let me know where and when and I will help you decide if it is ok to purchase such a contraption.  You just might not want to have it around your yard. :-/  I could help with that decision.  8)  If you can, put some pictures up showing the loader and truck.    That would give us a better idea of your challenge in makeing a decision.
Frank Pender

Buzz-sawyer

A simple choice for me...loader and motor work....an old truck....cheap.....get and use or you are missing a great blessing...but thats me....
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

Havnt heard from ya in a while got anything interesting brewin?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!