iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Couple Of Turnings

Started by Tree Feller, May 30, 2012, 11:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I hadn't turned anything in ages but had promised a bowl to a friend and got sorta forced into it. That bowl is rough-turned and drying but when I went to put it into my bucket of denatured alcohol for soaking, I found a Walnut Hollow Form that had been in there for who knows how long. It didn't take it long to dry so I finish turned it.

It's approximately 6" x 3" and finished with wipe-on poly.

The second one is especially for Magicman. I had a Sweetgum blank in the shop that was really dry so I also turned it. The resulting bowl is app 9" x 4" and finished with brushing lacquer. The pics don't do it justice as it turned out really nice. My eldest daughter claimed it immediately. 

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Dan_Shade

very nice

I enjoy turning, I have never made a bowl, though
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Lud

Please explain "bucket of denatured alcohol"  to the audience..........

A lidded bucket?  To prevent cracking?  Displaces moisture in the bowl?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Norm

WDH

I love the way the growth rings swirl around on the walnut!  Nobody ever said that figured sweetgum heartwood wasn't pretty  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jemclimber

Nice bowls TF,  I like your back drop too. It makes your bowls stand out.
lt15

Patty

Those bowls are beautiful!   8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Tree Feller

Quote from: Lud on May 31, 2012, 06:41:24 AM
Please explain "bucket of denatured alcohol"  to the audience..........

A lidded bucket?  To prevent cracking?  Displaces moisture in the bowl?

I use the "Dave Smith method" of drying my bowls and vessels. http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml

It basically involves soaking the vessel in denatured alcohol for a few hours (I usually leave it overnight), wrapping it in brown paper and cutting a hole in the open side of the vessel. Drying time is reduced from 6 months to about 3 weeks. Cracking and checking is also greatly reduced although warping will still take place. Supposedly the alcohol displaces the water in the bowl and then the alcohol evaporates quickly when it is removed. I don't know about all the science behind it, I just know that it works for me.

I keep a plastic, lidded, 5-gallon bucket about 2/3 full of denatured alcohol for soaking turnings. The lid needs to have a seal so that the alcohol won't evaporate.

Large bowls require an even larger vessel. When a turning won't fit in my bucket, I place a heavy plastic garbage bag in a No. 2 washtub, set the turning in the bag and cover it with DNA (denatured alcohol).

Hope this and the link explains it.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

T Welsh

Clam77

Nice looking bowls!!   The first pic of that sweetgum bowl makes it look almost translucent..   8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

CHARLIE

Very nice job of turning the hollow form and the bowls. real Pretty!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

thecfarm

Very nice looking bowls!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Very nice indeed, especially the Sweetgum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Burlkraft

Nice work TF  8)

I also like the sweetgum one.

You should prolly turn anudder one and send it to Majicman, I've heard he loves him some sweetgum  :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tree Feller

Thanks for all the kind comments. You folks are too nice.

Glad you liked the Sweetgum, MM.   ;D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Magicman

Not only was the Sweetgum bowl beautiful, it was Dead.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Cody (Tree Feller), 

I have to take my hat off to you!  A sawyer and a bowl turner, hmmmm.  I have found sawyers to be level headed, logical, hard working people.  I have found the bowl turners to be................., well nice  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Level headed, logical, hardworking

One out of three ain't bad.   :D

Cody
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Burlkraft

Quote from: WDH on June 01, 2012, 09:22:06 PM
.  I have found sawyers to be level headed, logical, hard working people.  I have found the bowl turners to be................., well nice  :D.

Hey!! I resemble that!!!!  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

Steve, you really are a nice guy  ;D.

Tree Feller

I thought I already posted this...must be my oldtimer's kicking in.

I've had several small projects ongoing simultaneously in the shop, both turnings and semi-flatwork. Once I make a mess around the lathe, I like to keep going until I get the vortex satisfied for a while.

Anyway, this is one of the turned projects I've been working on. It's spalted Boxelder from a large chunk I bought off my firewood-selling neighbor across the street. The collar and finial are Walnut from a short 4x4 chunk I had in my cut-offs bin.

It's 9 3/4" tall and 3 1/2" at the widest point. Finish is 4 or 5 coats of WOP and then Beall buffed with all three wheels.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Magicman

You guys amaze me with your craftsmanship.   smiley_thumbsup

Patty

WOW!   That is gorgeous!   
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

samandothers

That Boxelder is fantastic. I think I am most amazed by the Sweet Gum.   You are very talented as all 3 are fantastic.   thanks for the lesson on drying too!

Thank You Sponsors!