iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening service?

Started by Lucman, May 30, 2012, 07:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucman

Is there a place on the forums here for people and/or businesses who sharpen blades, looking to find someone or someplace locally hopefully.
Wood-Mizer LT-40
Mesick, Michigan

Dave VH

if you find someone, please let me know, I'm in your area a lot and would love to actually drop off my blades, and pick them up.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Magicman

You may find a knowledgeable and reliable person, but a word to the wise.  Just because he has a sharpener and setter does not mean that you will get a quality sharpening job.

When I bought my sawmill I used the "sharpening guy" that the previous owner used.  :-\  Two boxes of blades is all that it took before I started using WM Resharp.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lucman

Understood, I got a Hud-son Sharpener with the LT-40 when I bought it, but truthfully, after about 6 hours of messing with thing, I find it hard to believe it ever worked at all, after a few mods, indexing pretty good now but the grinding motor shakes so bad it moves the blade. so either I got to change the motor or see why it shakes so bad.
Wood-Mizer LT-40
Mesick, Michigan

Magicman

Sharp and properly set blades are more important than fuel for your engine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Lucman,it sounds like your grinding wheel is unbalanced, try a new one or dress your present wheel with a diamond dresser.If still bad possibly the arbor is bent,it should run smooth.Anyone that is a serious miller,and willing to learn proper sharpening and setting will be paying himself every time he sharpen a band.Granted its not for everyone,myself I'd hate to keep shipping bands,and loose control of my sharpening expenses. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cutting Edge

I tried dressing a wheel to help remove the vibration, but it only got worse.  Really need a solid rest like a lathe would have.  The W-M wheels are much harder than the Cooks, and that may have been my difficulty.  But they do hold the profile much longer.

You might check the bearings in the motor too.  Doesn't take long for a vibration to damage them.  Hope ya get it figured out!
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Thank You Sponsors!