iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guitar legend Doc Watson dies at 89

Started by barbender, May 30, 2012, 09:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

.Arthel "Doc" Watson passed away yesterday at age 89. For those of you that don't know, Doc was a Folk/Bluegrass/Country/Old time guitarist from Deep Gap, NC. He became blind before he was a year old from an eye infection. He turned to being a professional musician as a means to support his family. I got to see him in concert about 6 years ago, it was the best show I've ever seen. The combination of hot guitar, banjo, and homespun humor and storytelling was really something
Too many irons in the fire

hardtailjohn

Wow...we're losing too many "legends" this year! Doc was awesome!!! He will be missed, but definitely remembered!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

barbender

I agree, John. I guess he would be part of that "greatest" generation, the ones who made this country great. His music was just plain "American". I always struggle to describe what genre of music he played, looking at headlines of his passing I saw him called a country, folk, and bluegrass musician. No one else could decide what type of music he played either :D I know the concert I went to, it had the atmospere of going to your grandad's and sittin a spell, listening to stories except grandad tore it up on his flat top guitar :D I got to meet him afterwards, I told him I really appreciated him coming to northern MN. He just said "I really enjoyed myself, truly I did." Seemed just as down to earth in person as he did on stage.

clww

I saw that on the late news last night. Lots of the great ones are passing on.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

samandothers

I was sad to hear this too. He was great.  I think Tennessee Stud was one of my favorites.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Paul_H

"Dig a little deeper in the well" with Merle.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Banjo picker

Deb and I saw him in Dalagonia Ga. about 1995 or so....he truly put on a great show...was the last act and he just kept on playing....Glad I got a chance to see him...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

barbender

Doc was 83 when I saw him. I was looking at the program waiting for the show to start, and it stated his birth date. I got doing the math in my head, I was a little worried he wouldn't still "have it" at 83. I needn't have worried, what a show he put on. I wanted to put a link here, but I can't figure out bow with my android phone. Go to youtube and search "doc watson black mountain rag" if you aren't familiar with his playing this will give you a good taste.

Thank You Sponsors!