iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mac120

Started by DanG, May 29, 2012, 06:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I'm still going through all the stuff my Dad had stashed away over the years.  The other day, I stumbled across an old Mac120 he had bought back in the '70s.  A friend is going to try to get it going, but I need to know about the gas mixture.  Would that be 50:1 or 24:1?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Al_Smith

Mini Mac .It'll run on 50 to 1 if thats what you use any way .

What you might find if it's sat a long time is the carb innards are stiff and the rebuild kits for that Zama m1-m7 carb  are getting next to impossible to find .If it has a Walbro MDC 15 or 16 those kits are still plentifull .

The weak link on those things is the oiler .It seems some(most) will develop internal leaks and being impulse operated will suck bar oil into the crankcase and drown the spark plug . If I knew how to fix them I'd tell but my luck with them is a big fat zero .

DanG

Thanks Al.  We'll just see what happens.  I bought one just like it at the same time and just plain wore mine out, but the ol' man hardly used his.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Al_Smith

Well I hope you get lucky because that series of mini Mac is by far the most miserable saw ever made to do any work on .Anybody that can wrench a mini Mac and not loose their cool at least once is a cantidate for saint hood .

sawguy21

:D It took some luck, a few cuss words and considerable fiddling to keep those beggars from leaking fuel after reassembly.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

The little rascals are like a turtle in a shell .You have to de shell the things to do anything to them .

The later models ,140 I think had an anti vib suspension system and weren't quite the challange to work on although they had their moments .

Mini Macs fall into to two catagories  it seems .Those that run usually run well and those that don't run don't run period .By this period of time no doubt the later out number the former .

DanG

:D :D :D

You guys are just full of encouraging words!!  Fortunately, I don't really care about the saw.  The dude that is going to play with it is home-bound, due to some indiscretions involving his temper and a firearm.  He asked if I had anything he could work on to pass the time.  Perhaps I should expect to find the thing in tiny pieces in the near future.  :D :D

nmurph

I'm not sure you did any favors in giving someone with anger issues a mini- Mac to pass the time. Repairing them is sort of analogus to the story of Sisyphus.

Al_Smith

Well look at it like this if he blows a fuse and beats the mini to a pulp not much is lost . :D

Cypressstump

Quote from: DanG on May 29, 2012, 10:59:08 PM
  due to some indiscretions involving his temper and a firearm.  He asked if I had anything he could work on to pass the time.  Perhaps I should expect to find the thing in tiny pieces in the near future. 

hopefully it does not come back beat to heck and sporting new bullet holes in it
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

lumberjack48

If a guy has issues the 120 is not something to work on.

Factory says 40:1
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Well yeah ,different oil these days .On the other hand I run everything on 32 to 1 as I've said for years .Being a nice guy though I'll not argue that fact . ::)

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!