iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling pics from last summer

Started by BW_Williams, February 29, 2004, 08:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BW_Williams

It's been awhile since I posted pics(I forgot how, but thanks to Tom's write up we'll give her another go) so hopefully heres a pic of a job I did last June(?) doug fir, right next to a good friend house.  I paid a Pro feller to drop it for me, it was money well spent.  The feller used the exact same technic I would have used, but his confinence level was higher.  I got 1mbf of lumber and around a cord of firewood.  This is Harriet, my TO-35, who turns 50 this year, and yes we are having a party for her!  BWW

Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

BW_Williams

Here was my big job last July and August, I really don't have a final tally as I milled on shares for the land owner, then by the hour for the logger.  I seem to recall it was around 5-10 mbf totally. The 2nd log from the top was 36 DIB small end.  For the logger we hauled down the mountain to his shop where we stickered and stacked it.  We must have done ok, I had a check about 2 days after I mailed him the bill.  Man was it hot, we'd be milling by 0500 and have to knock off around 1000 or 1100, but we had a trailer load anyway, then after it was stickered it was to the creek 8)  BWW

BW_Williams

Here's my #3 lumber puller, getting to get the feel of the 618.  Now before someone jumps on me this is a staged pic, notice the blade isn't turning.  My boys were vital to this project and only I would only take one at a time, of course, and they loved it.  

Fla._Deadheader

Slick Pics, BW. Dontcha get tired of traipsin in all them saw chips??? ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

BW_Williams

I hope I never tire of walking through the chips!  It makes a very soft path and every couple logs or so I rake it level, in the winter it really keeps your feet warm.  BWW

Fla._Deadheader

That's where I was headin with my question. We shovel the dust outta the way, so you don't lose the footing.  I am trying to figure a way to get the chips or dust thrown clear of the work area around a movable mill.
   First, it is ridiculed;

BW_Williams

FLA, I wasn't too big of a deal for us, we moved the mill sideways twice I believe,  we got closer to the logs and that got us away from the slabs also.  BTW those slabs are not going to waste,  we will get up there this spring and make firewood out what left as soon as the road opens up.  I don't see any on this load, but I have a market for 6" D-log siding also.  BWW

BW_Williams

Here's the landowner of the above job, with a good mornings worth of 4/4 x 6" x 16'.  He stickered his off the saw and unloaded with a tractor at home.  I think it would have been worth digging a hole for his rear tires to get the deck hieght lower, but he didn't think so and you know the customer is always right.  This canyon was the south flank of the Rat cr fire in '94, and it was cool to be milling trees we had helped protect.  You may notice some burnt bark on some pics.  The drainage to the north was not so lucky, it burnt very high intensity and looks like the moon, but I noticed this year the replants are getting taller than the buck brush.  It will grow back, but not in our lifetime.  The Rat Cr. fire was broke up into 2 fires after it jumped hwy 97, so technically this drainage was in the "Lower Valley" fire, but it was the same fire.  BWW

oakiemac

Nice pics. I like that old flat bed truck. I need one of those :)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

BW_Williams

Thanks oakie, here's the other side of the old Ford, same load.  This family is 3rd generation on this ground, orchardist and tree farmers, used to run a dairy.  I would like to know how many hundred bins of pears this old girl hauled 5 miles to the fruit shed.  The father said it's the first time it's hauled lumber, and he oughta know, he bought it new!  BWW

EZ

Here you guys are talking about shoveling and raking the sawdust away and I do the opposite. I hate walking threw mud and snow so I shovel it over where I walk.
Nice pictures BWW, nice view, nice lumber, cool truck. ;D
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

Down here, in no-snow land, sawdust becomes a problem. ::) :D :D covers up yer shim boards and makes walking a pain ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

Great pics!  That's beautiful country.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jaws

Jaws

???
I'am a new members and i have difficult to insert photo.
Sorry

BW_Williams

Welcome Jaws, go to the top tool bar, Forum tools, upload photos.  I copy and paste it to a word doc and print it out.  FLA what's a shim board?  I've run a WM and I know what that the fender should be called a shin scraper, if'n you don't remove it. :D

Jaws

Fla._Deadheader

BW, we built our mill to get every possible inch of blade into the log. Sometimes we have to insert a 1 X or 2 X between the log and the stops. A poorly trimmed limb or a butt swell, will hit the fixed blade guide. Also, sometimes we have to put the same shim under the log, to correct for taper. We welded the toeboards a little too far to the center of the bunks.

We got a few upgrades to do this week, IF we get the mill back home.
   First, it is ridiculed;

BW_Williams

Your welcome, Jaws, remember you can leave your pic 350 wide, then compress(the little fist looking icon in the left toolbar on xat).  What are we looking at?

BW_Williams

FLA, I kinda thought that's what you meant, I was being a wisenhimer, on a Lucas, I just raise one end, mill to the pith, then take a tapered waste cut and most all of my boards are parallel to the bark.  I have followed your Homemizer development for a long time and have a great deal of respect for your determination and rescourscefulness.  Kinda been hoping to see the swingmill cutting head on it though.  Now what's this about getting the mill home?  Did I miss something?  BWW

KiwiJake

Great pics BW. Glad to see another swinger in action :).

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks BW. We work about 3 hours from home. The mill was not exactly built to use everyday, all day long. We have been sawing steady for the past 4 weeks, and there are some original parts we used on the mill, (cheap) that need to be replaced. There are a couple of things that also need to be added and moved. We came close to getting everything right, but, there is always room for improvement.

All our welders and such are at home, and we have 5 sawing jobs lined up here.

Water will start to warm up real soon. ::) ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jaws

I'm french and I have many difficult with the english language.
 :P

shopteacher

BW,
   I'm guessing Jaws is going to build a saw mill and thats the parts he has so far. ;D  Welcome to the forum jaws.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

BW_Williams

Any French speakers out there that could help Jaws out here?

Thank You Sponsors!