iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much should i pay a skidder operator

Started by timberjack97, May 28, 2012, 10:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack97

how much should i pay a skidder operator to run his own skidder on my job its a cable skidder  and he wants me to pay for his fuel also any ideas
?

markd

Start by asking him how much he wants, including his fuel. Then weigh that against how much you would want to run your skidder. Is he a good and safe operator, do you know his past reputation, does he have to do any bucking and why don't you skid yourself? I know that doesn't answer your question but that's how I'd approach it. Markd
markd

timberjack97

i have two jobs going right now he has 15 years expercince he gets between about two tractor trailer loads out a day  he said he would like to have  45 dollars and hour for the skidder he bucks the logs up also about 200 or so a week in fuel  is that to much to pay him or isthat the going rate
?

markd

I'd rather come to an agreement on a per load deal, that would be best in the long run for both of you. That hourly stuff sometimes causes problems. Ask him if he'd consider that, It'll take alot off your mind, I've got a guy that helps me sometimes and it always seems to work out fine for us both. Markd
markd

timberjack97

last year when  i had some one run my skidder i was paying them  75 dollars a load to run my skidder what do you recomend per load to pay him

lumberjack48

I assume the timbers already fell , 150 a load plus fuel. I would never pay by the hour.

18 yrs ago i got $16. a cord, fell, skid, and buck up, my skidder, i payed all expenses. I could do very good at this rate, but they shut me down if i pulled to much. This is what happens when you pull wood for the Company Store, its all about control.  >:(
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

timberjack97

thanks for the reply i was paying my one worker he was using his own chain saw and i paid him 100 a load to cut saw timber and 170 a load to cut paper wood  is that the going rate?

lumberjack48

That 150 a load is skidding and bucking up, his skidder and saws. This leaves you 350 a load for felling and loading trucks.

Quote from: timberjack97 on May 28, 2012, 12:33:49 PM
thanks for the reply i was paying my one worker he was using his own chain saw and i paid him 100 a load to cut saw timber and 170 a load to cut paper wood  is that the going rate?
Not sure i'm understanding, if this is just saw work, its a lot of money.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lumberjack48

I personally would do it all myself with one good man, make the job last, take more money home, unless you have a lot of work.

I would make sure they take all 80 loads of pulp, i would want it in writing. If you get stuck with the pulp its a no winner. How about slash work, is it a trt job, check fine print.

I never took a job, if it had to many [ IF'S ]

Tramp Bushler

As to hourly or piece work , It depends on the person . Some guys will work their butt off on an hourly rate . Some will not . The problem with piece work is its all about volume . If the volume isn't there . The skid distance is too long , timber isn't fell right , ect. Ect. .
You could try him for a week on his hourly rate , see what his volume is then go to a piece work contract based on his production .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

timberjack97

the timber is being felled with my timbco   there is almost 300 000 bt  on  the job that he will be cuting  its not to far of a skid either

Tramp Bushler

45$ an hour is pretty cheap as far as I' m concerned .

timberjack97

the  cutter wants  140 a load to cut the saw timber with my timbco  and 100 a load to cut  my  pulpwood  and he pay for all bars bar and chain oil and chains for the timbco  is that a good deal for me ?

Corley5

That would depend on how he treats your machine.  I'd rather pay an operator hourly to run my machine and I supply the fuel, bars, chains, hoses etc.  You'll need those expenses as right offs.  I would never pay someone on a production basis to run my equipment.  That just opens the door for abuse trying to get too much done.  If it's their's it's a different story.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bobus2003

I get $95/hr with Myself and my JD440, and $110/hr if i'm using my Dozer (dirt work or skidding)

redprospector

I don't own a piece of equipment that I would run for $45 an hour. I don't know what size skidder this guy has, but I doubt that he can run it, buy fuel, pay himself, & keep his skidder maintained at that price. So I don't think that would be a good deal for either of you. If you get slow, or no production because he can't keep his skidder running, you're loosing money.
My Daddy used to call that "chasing nickles and passing up dollars".

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

lumberjack48

$45. an hour, i would be a happy camper making $8000. month, just pulling wood.

Quote from: Bobus2003 on May 28, 2012, 11:57:45 PM
I get $95/hr with Myself and my JD440, and $110/hr if i'm using my Dozer (dirt work or skidding)
Logging  tree length Aspen i would have have to pull 9.5 cords an hour to make that kind of money.

Tramp Bushler

I make that and better , sometimes quite a bit better just fallin timber . .
Theres no sense in having someone workin for a guy that is too poor .
A guy with a piece of equipment needs to be makin over 10 k a month . And 20 k would be alot better .

redprospector

Quote from: lumberjack48 on May 29, 2012, 01:14:14 PM
$45. an hour, i would be a happy camper making $8000. month, just pulling wood.

Quote from: Bobus2003 on May 28, 2012, 11:57:45 PM
Logging  tree length Aspen i would have have to pull 9.5 cords an hour to make that kind of money.
If I work my skidder by the hour it's a job that can't be bid by the piece, or acre.
$8000 a month sounds pretty good....But....If you pay your operator $18 an hour, thats $3450. If your running the skidder yourself you should still pay your family. Now 150 gallons of diesel a week at $4 is another $2400. An oil change is going to cost you another $100. You'd better be putting some back for break downs, and tires are going to cost probably better than $2000 each.
Last year I spent over $6000 on parts in one month on my skidder.
I figure that at $8000 a month, you just bought yourself a job with no benefits when you bought your skidder.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

lumberjack48

I never seen that kind of money in logging around here.

$8000. gross
    950. fuel  12 gals a day at most, 3-53 Detroit, C5D TF
      50.  oil change
   1000.  for skidder, I could buy another skidder every 6 to 10 months.

I could live pretty good on $6000. a month, i just called the mill to see what their paying. Their going to call me back, its been 16 yrs since i put wood on the landing.

Tramp Bushler

I wouldn't be suprised if they aren't paying less than 16 years ago .

lumberjack48

When they started buying Aspen tree length back in 1968, they payed $9.50 a cord delivered. I was loading rail-car for $11.00 a cord for pulp, $18. for saw bolts, $2. stumpage, $2.'s for trucking. They would haul tree length for $1.50 a cord. [ Enough reminiscing ]  11 cents gal. #2 off road diesel fuel

The last wood i put up for the company, Aspen TL $10.00 a cord on landing, $16. for 100', then they let it lay for 30 to 60 days before they hauled it. So that the wood would lose 10 to 20% of its weight, TL wood is just an honest way to steal it.
The truckers got, $10.00 the first 0-10 miles, then $1.00 for every additional 10 miles, 50 miles, they got $14.00

Tramp Bushler

We were selling pople pulp . 4' for 17$ a cord in 72-73 . . We logged with a converted 1,1/4 ton truck . Loaded it by hand . Then loaded the truk by hand. . A very hard way to make not much of a living .
I kinda like my firewood business . 200$ a cord for 8' wood
Load my truck with my loader . 2 cord . 400$ . 25$ a cord to saw it t stove length . That almost pays for a days fuel . . Problem is , I can't log 6 months of the year here .

lumberjack48

1968 i bought a new C4 Treefarmer, we all so had a H3 Allis-Chalmers cat with Hill lake knuckle boom dray.

Firewood was a dirty word,, we didn't have time to monkey with it. The last big Federal job i logged [1979] i sold it for $25.00 a cord, 100" wood delivered, $15.00 on landing, sometimes it rotted in the pile.

When i went to work for the company, they tried to give me the firewood. I didn't want it, a lot of the blocks we dropped it and left it. There is one block that comes to mind by Little Ball Club Lake. After we logged all the merchantable timber off it, i spent two full days dropping Maple, Ash, Birch trees[100-150 cds. it was a clear cut block, it all had to be fell down to 3-4" stump. Some Maple were 12" on the stump, the Co. didn't want it. We were already pulling wood on another block. When the Co. wanted some firewood pulled they payed $10.00 a cd. T-L or $16.00, 100".

Around here at that time firewood was to accessible, every logger had piles of it setting around.
Now their getting $75 to $100. delivered.

lumberjack48

I would pay $10. a cd. or $4. a ton, $100. a load, you buy the fuel. I could make $400.+ a day at that rate.
This is no saw work, just pulling wood.

Thank You Sponsors!