iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Wife said don't be surprised it this thing walks off some night!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 27, 2012, 10:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I built a MAPLE bench this week for a customer who wanted something unusual to display his turned bowls on when he goes to shows.

The MAPLE slab is 2 inches thick, 5 foot long and stands 16 inches tall. The slab shows signs of the AMBROSIA BEETLE having been there.
I used the limbs off the MAPLE tree for legs. The legs are attached with 5 inch self drilling screws. Gorilla glue was also used.
After the legs were attached, I turned it upside down on the WOODMIZER and sawed all the legs perfectly level.
The bench now sits perfect on a floor.

It's amazing when people come by the mill and just stand there and look with their mouth open and not say a word.  :D
I hope ya'll like it.
David

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bill Gaiche

tyb525

Figuring out the trick of leveling the legs on the WM changes everything ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clam77

Neat looking bench!!  Nice character in that slab too..    8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on May 27, 2012, 07:56:09 PM
Love it.

Hummm......if my Wife loves it and Jeff loves it, the price just went $100.00.  8)

thecfarm

I bet that took some time to find just the right limbs. Looks great.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

Fun,............one of the hallmarks of good design is "movement" meaning (in my opinion) it has a certain lightness and perceptually makes you feel movement. THAT one has not just movement, but "RUN" written all over it. Kinda reminds me of the 50 peruvians carrying the Roman Catholic "floats" (permanent gold gilded, wooden things storde in the chuch the rest of the year)  around the town square in Cuzco while we were there. They were so heavy teams were rotating in and out as they went around the square.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

samandothers

Yet another great looking bench!  I enjoy your designs.

WDH

That thing looks like it is walking, waddling a little like a salamander.

Salamander.......that would be a good name for it  :D.  It is awesome  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

I just want one  :).  I wished I had half the creativity of you folks, once again a very nice piece David!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 28, 2012, 07:39:21 AM
We might have to start calling him the Bench King  ;D.

Call me what you want Pop........just don't call me late to supper!  :D

dblair

that gives new meaning to a conversation piece , what a neat idea .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

WDH

Misfit

You're certainly creating a benchmark for the rest of us!  :D

Again, very nice work Poston.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

markd

You are gettin good at that, great idea sawin those legs off, wonder if I could do that on my circle mill? I'll bet you all would like to see me try,haha Markd
markd

AK Newbie

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Thank You Sponsors!