iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Memorial Day menu

Started by Norm, May 27, 2012, 07:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Big fat brisket slow cooked on the egg for the main course, Patty's world famous potato salad, Keri's hog apple beans, and homemade ice cream.

What's on your menu?

WDH

Ribs slow cooked with indirect heat on the Weber.  Baked beans, slaw, and ice cream.  Plenty of sweet tea. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

okmulch

Pork shoulder and pork butt, couple baby back ribs, corn on the cob, potatoes, fresh fruit salad, some homemade bread and sopapia cheesecake for dessert.
Oh, and most likely a couple ice cold beer!
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Kansas

You guys are getting a lot fancier than me. Brats on the grill, some sweet corn, and new potatoes wrapped in foil with parsley flakes and butter. A garden salad to go with it.  Going to have it today with leftovers tomorrow.

Texas Ranger

I'm wit you, kansas, burgers, sweet corn, romaine salad, home made bread, baked beans.  No cold beer, but maybe a touch of the grain after all is said and done.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Burlkraft

Smoked (on the Egg) pork shoulder, Romaine's potato salad and rhubarb pie

All plant based foods  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Buck

I sliced open some chicken breast and stuffed them with onion and jalapeno slices and cream cheese. Toothpicked them together with a wrapping of bacon. I think there is gonna be some potato salad and other stuff but that's a whole different operation under different management. Getting it all done today because there will be baseball tomorrow. Have a great weekend folks!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

I forgot about the squash fresh from the garden, cut into rounds, coated with a little olive oil, rolled in Italian bread crumbs, and broiled in the oven under the broiler.  Awesome.  Also my wife makes the best creamed corn, and this was some of the best!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kansas

I meant to ask. What is Patty's world famous potato salad recipe? I am curious. Of course, if I try to make it, it may well become infamous.

ashes

You'all sure know how to make a guy jealous :)

Norm

I'll see if I can get her to show how it's made Kansas.

Ashes we've got plenty for an extra plate too bad you're so far away from us.

Norm

Nice big breakfast to tide me over... :D

Patty

I learned to make potato salad back when I was catering and running a restaurant, so the salad was made to serve 50 or so.  To make a small batch I kind of make it up as I go, and continue to taste until it is good.  ::)

The basic ingredients are:
boiled potatoes
boiled eggs
chopped celery
chopped onions
mayonnaise
mustard
sugar
vinegar
salt & pepper

I'll go make a batch right now, and then get back to you with more details. I think deviled eggs are called for for this holiday meal, too. Yummy.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mooseherder

We are having Wings, Potato Salad, Beans, Zuccini and Beer. :)
Just got out of the pool and fixin to start the wings. :)

Yoopersaw

Patty

Well the potato salad & deviled eggs are in the refrigerator, soaking up the dressing and chilling out.

As for the recipe, I decided to post the original and let you all determine your own portions.  ;)

We used to cater  alot of big get togethers...sometimes many on the same day with similar menus, such as graduations, etc..   We would start out making the dressing which worked for potato salad, pea salad, kidney bean salad, and macaroni salad.

Dressing

2 gallons salad dressing
2 gallons mayonnaise
3 cups mustard
8 teaspoons salt
6 cups sugar
4 teaspoons pepper
2 cups water

Stir all this together and set aside in the cooler.

Potato Salad  (100 servings)

20 pounds potatoes boiled & peeled & diced
36 hard boiled eggs
2 cups diced onions
6 cups celery
3-5 quarts of the dressing you made earlier
Mix and refrigerate. This tastes better if you make it a few hours ahead of time.

Pea Salad  (100 servings)

2 BIG #10 can peas drained
10 slices of yellow cheese diced up
14 hard boiled eggs
2 cups chopped onions
4 cups celery
4 tablespoons pickle relish
1 1/2 quarts of dressing
Mix and refrigerate a few hours before serving

Macaroni Salad

4 pounds cooked macaroni
3 cups diced onion
10 slices yellow cheese diced  (this is the cheese slices you use for cheese burgers)
4 cups drained peas
2 jars diced pimento
4 cups pickle relish
12 hard boiled eggs
2-3 quarts dressing
Mix together and refrigerate a few hours before serving.

So there you go! You now know how to serve a buffet line or a 100 people some summer salads.   :)

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Norm

I might need some help finishing off the potato salad... :D

sandhills

Ah come on Norm, suck it up and be a man  :D! 

Mooseherder

Wish I was closer to help you Norm. :D
I loves potater salad. :)

Patty

Goodness gracious, is it any wonder we have trouble keeping our weight down?  :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Kansas

I am still trying to imagine the bowl you used to mix that tater salad. And the pot to boil 20 pounds of potatoes.

Patty

Here you go Kansas!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Clam77

:o  I could eat chili from that for atleast a week or 2....     :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Kansas

You guys are wayyyy out of my league when it comes to cooking. I somehow feel... um.. inadequate.

Patty

No, not at all Kansas. You just have to have the courage to try.  ;)      If you don't want to make a batch for 100, just divide it down to a portion you can handle and go from there. You will do just fine.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Thank You Sponsors!