iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speaker boxes, what material is best?

Started by tyb525, May 26, 2012, 05:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I figure at least one of you out there have built speaker enclosures before. I need to build two speaker boxes for two 8" woofers. I know I can use 3/4 MDF, and I have plenty of that available, but I was wondering if anyone knows if solid wood is better.

I have a variety of hardwoods at hand, mostly native. Would any hardwood be better than the MDF?

The boxes will be 12 3/8" wide x 19 3/4" tall x 7 3/8" deep, inside measurements. (1.06 ft^3)

(how do you make superscript text? html <sup></sup> didnt work)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

shelbycharger400

most  boxes are made out of what i call particle board (sawdust with glue)

cheap!   thumpin and bumpin,  then it all slowly blows apart.    buddys car , box store box, and even homemade boxes,  with 2 , 1000 watt amps,  12"s and such. stripped and broke drywall screws off.

best idea is use 1/2 particle board,  screws every 2 inches,  then break out the black cloth and fiberglass resin.  precut the cloth and fold it up like a little present.

Bill Gaiche

The ones I made was marine grade 11/16" 11 ply birtch. bg

Dan_Shade

instrument builders use maple sometimes.

My guess is that if particle board is "acceptable", then anything would work!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Texas Ranger

I built mine out of 1/2 inch Russian birch.  Solid.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tyb525

I've gathered that solid wood is a no-no in speaker boxes, particleboard is just "ok", good plywood is better, but MDF is the best, as long as it doesn't get wet. Guess that's what I'll be going with. I will probably spray paint them black. They will be hidden behind the seat, so looks don't matter, just sound.

There will be no "bumping" with these speakers unless it's country or rock n' roll :D I got them for free, brand new 8" Pyle Drivers. They will be a nice addition to the stock speakers in my '85 ram ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

LeeB

I'm no expert by any means, but in the past when I thought about making new cabinets for some plder but really good speakers, research told me that MDF was best because of the density. I would thing a very dense hardwood could be used.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tyb525

Apparently hardwood is a bad choice because the density is not uniform enough, and it changes with the weather. It would cause the speaker to be louder or quieter at different frequencies depending on humidity, etc. MDF works because the frequency range is "flat", meaning the sound level is pretty consistent from low to higher frequencies.

Thanks for your help!

Texas Ranger

The Russian birch I mentioned is 1/2 inch plywood, some 8 plies I think.  Substantial wood, no holidays.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tyb525

I'm sure the russian/baltic birch plywood would work fine. The main thing with plywood is to make sure there is no voids I think. But that stuff is $$$ :o so I'll stick with MDF since I already have it. About to go out in the shop and make them in this 98 degree heat :o (guess I better make a bunch of them to sell so I can afford a/c in the shop :D)

SwampDonkey

I used red oak plywood, and the speakers I used were for a vehicle because I hooked up a car stereo that had a 6 disc changer. Car speakers are different than those for your house, they are for small enclosures. It was nothing to brag about, just hated seeing the stereo sit in a box never to be used. ;) Trouble was the face that comes off the stereo front (anti-theft) is known for the light diode to burn out. I fixed it once while mounted in the truck. The second time was hooked to the home built speakers. So it ended up being boxed after all. It would have also helped to add an amp, but never did. I used an inverter to get AC.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Green Sweet Gum. Makes the music sound like MAGIC!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Woodchuck53

Have used MDF for years now with no problems. Glued and screwed and still thumping after all these years. Used corner glue blocks on the taller and heavier boxes.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

tyb525

Taking a break for supper, managed to shoot a brad through the meat of my thumb- in one side out the other, missed the bone though. First time doing that particular stunt! Doesn't hurt too bad so I'll be at it again after supper. Gotta love the brilliant things I do sometimes ;)

Dodgy Loner

I used to build speaker boxes for myself and friends when I was in high school. That's actually how I got my humble start in "woodworking". As you figured out, MDF is the best material, by far. If you're using brad nails to assemble it, I hope you plan on going back and reinforcing them with screws! Spax makes some excellent MDF screws that you can buy at most any Home Depot. They sink right in without cracking the edges, and they hold much better than brads.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

If you can't find the Spax screws, Lee Valley has them and probably cheaper.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MHineman

MDF would be best, with particle board next.  You want the enclosure to be acoutically "dead".
  Solid wood will vibrate and "color" the sound.  Plywood will too, but not as much.
  Make tight dado joints and glue everything except the back.  Dado the back panel too.
  Add fiberglass or some other sound deadening material behind the speakers and in front of the back panel.  Attach the back panel with enough screws to keep it from vibrating.  That depends on how loud you run the speaker.
  The thicker the MDF, the less vibration you will get.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

tyb525

Yes, the brads were only used to help during assembly ;) on the second box I used pocket holes and they've held up so far.

Clam77

I'd have to look at my speaker box in the back of my Jeep - I know it's a double bandpass with two 12's facing inward at a 45° with a plexiglass front cover.  Not sure what kind of wood it's made of though. 

I've had it for a good 13/14 years now and it's still in perfect condition so I assume it's just particle board instead of MDF?? 
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

tyb525

I'd assume it's MDF, not particle board. Although it could be either, MDF would probably last longer.

Dodgy Loner

I've seen a lot more speaker boxes made from particleboard than from MDF, but that doesn't mean it's a superior material. It just means that it's a cheaper way to build a speaker box and the average consumer doesn't know the difference.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jemclimber

If you're really after a great material for a speaker box, solid surface such as Corian glued up is and excellent choice.  Corian is used for many things besides counter tops and has excellent acoustic properties.
lt15

CHARLIE

I've made several sets of speakers boxes in the 1970s and 1980s.  I have a book on building them that I bought in about 1970. I put 12" full range speakers and tweeters in them.  Whatever wood you use, just make sure it is at least 3/4 inch thick so it doesn't vibrate.  I don't believe it matters what material you use to make the speaker boxes because you should put fiberglass insulation on at least two sides of the inside (top and side) to keep the sound from bouncing around in the box. Then you need to put in tuned ports.  The ports are holes cut into the front board with cardboard tubes that are cut to a certain length depending on the response of you speakers.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!