iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going solar! I think?

Started by wheelinguy, May 26, 2012, 06:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelinguy

Talked to some solar people and they did a work up for solar on our house.  It seems like a good idea, its a lease and will keep my payment the same for the next fifteen years, with the added benefit of the solar company doing any of the upkeep that needs to be done.  I wanted to throw this out on the forum and see what the opinions were and see if any of you guys had gone this route.  I'm looking forward to all the replies, good or bad. :)

fishpharmer

Percentage wise, how much energy cost will solar save you over conventional grid power?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Roger2561

A couple of years ago I asked a local HVAC that I trust to give me a ball park figure for solar in my house.  Essentially, it'll heat my potable hot water in the summer time.  He gave a figure of $21,000.00  I told him that when the price becomes affordable, give me a call.  I haven't heard from him yet.

However, I've been doing alot of reading on this subject and I believe with some material from my local box store and sweat equity, I can make a collector for around $500.00.  And, maybe for another $500.00 to $1,000.00, I can have the necessary piping, fittings, expansion tank, etc... installed.  All I want it to do is heat my potable hot water in the summer, I use the OWB to heat it in the winter.  Roger
Roger

wheelinguy

Phishfarmer the solar will cost about what our middle to high monthly bill usually is.  The solar we overproduce will be net metered and "banked " for us, when we go over what we have produced then we will be able to draw on our "banked" solar.  The system is grid tied so the power and solar company both keep track of usage.  But the appeal is that as the electricity rates go up our payment is always the same, or at least thats what the salesman said ???

fishpharmer

Roger, I know a fella in MS that put a long black hose on his flat roof top for a solar water heater.  Said it was good for one shower in the summer, never did say how long of a shower.   Gotta like low tech.

Weelhingguy, that sounds very appealing.  I look forward to hearing more about the install, keep us posted.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!