iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Little Cedar

Started by Magicman, May 25, 2012, 09:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Road trips are exciting and always have their special rewards.  This one is 58 miles away and 100% ERC.  We are staying at the customer's cabin, eating well, and sleeping even better.

I did not take any pictures of the log whacks, and since it is hourly rate, I do not know the actual bf.  Three days of sawing yielded about 5Mbf, all 1" and random widths and lengths.

One of three stacks lumber.

Ready to move the sawmill to the next log whack. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CalebL

would you mind getting a picture of your cedar slabs sometime?  I am starting to think I am the only one who gets cedar with a heavy taper. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Magicman

If I remember I will.  These were mostly 8' logs and the great majority of them had a 2" difference between the small and large end.  I could just raise the small end 1" and saw.

Some had sweep which dictated the opening face. A few showed signs of stress so the cant had to be rotated 180° to maintain even boards.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: CalebL on May 25, 2012, 09:16:28 AM
would you mind getting a picture of your cedar slabs sometime? 

Log taper never was an issue with these logs so very little went into the slab piles.  This is the beginning of another slab pile.

WDH

Somebody needs to have a stickering party.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

MM, when was the last time that you put some wax on that poor ole mill? bg

markd

Is that an umbrella I see hanging on the mill? Boy some people have it easy!!
markd

Magicman

About ¼ of that lumber pile had been stickered by Tuesday AM when I got there. 

WAX !!!   :o :o

I seriously doubt that I could have sawed the last two day without that umbrella.  Mid to high 90's.   smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun

captain_crunch

Markd
Bumbershure is mm' trademark ;D ;D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

Yup, I ride in the shade.   ;D

That saw job was hourly rate, but measuring the lumber stacks showed it to be about 7Mbf.  This week was concentrating on sawing 4X4, 6X6, and mantels, with side lumber.

Now the customer is in marketing.   ;D

Cedarman

Quote from: Magicman on May 31, 2012, 07:47:42 AM

Now the customer is in marketing.   ;D
Shouldn't marketing come before sawing?   ???
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Magicman on May 25, 2012, 09:10:35 AM

Ready to move the sawmill to the next log whack.

MM,  About how long does it take you to move the mill and be ready to saw again?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Quote from: Cedarman on May 31, 2012, 12:37:57 PM
Shouldn't marketing come before sawing?   ???

He has sold Cedar in the past, so I hope that he has some outlets.  He has just retired so at least he has the time now since all retired folks have this abundance of time on their hands.   :D

Magicman

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on May 31, 2012, 12:52:25 PM
MM,  About how long does it take you to move the mill and be ready to saw again? 

Actual take down and setup is less than 30 minutes.  Probably no more than 15 minutes.

On this saw job  LINK  I had to move the sawmill to saw each log.  If I remember correctly, I moved the sawmill 15 times on that job,  all on hourly rate.

kgbond

MM, on logs with a large taper, are you going to bring to level 3 sides of the log?  I know this is a beginners question but I am not sure if I am wasting  a lot of wood.

Kimball

shelbycharger400

kgbond

depends upon what your doin.    generally most people want a nice LONG board with one edge straight or both.

I have a bunch here i cut unedged.   that way if i need it 8" wide it can be,  or if i need a few short boards at 10 to 12 in wide... i can use the same board.

Magicman

If there are no defects I level the center of the log.  If there is a lot of taper, sometimes you can get some short boards on the first couple of cuts.  With Cedar, I would rather get my full length boards from the center of the log.

Other species, I may level the top of the log and finally discard the pith wedge on the 4th face opening.  Since I do not market lumber, it all depends upon what my customer wants.

kgbond

I looked at the pics of the job. Oh my God what a tremendous amount of work you did with no tractor. Please take some time off!

Kimball

Magicman

No picture of a tractor does not mean no tractor.  The customer had a 50 hp 4WD Kubota/forks and a Case skidsteer.

Actually, I did not average but 1400 bf per day.

Thank You Sponsors!