iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to forum

Started by Astark, May 25, 2012, 01:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astark

Hello to all.  My name is Adam and I'm new to the forum and just want to interduce my self.   I live in Sweeny Texas and work in a chemical plant but but family has been in the logging and sawmills way before my time.  My fathers was a cedar chopper from the Austin area (Bastrop Tx) and my mothers family ran a sawmill in the Palestine area. (Elkhart tx ) . Back in 1980 my father started hauling of brush around town and decide to start a waste disposal co.    So I didn't get to grow up in the woods like alot of my cousin did .  I grow up on the back of a garbage truck .  Each summer my dad would sent me and my brother down to my uncles sawmill (in Dancinger tx) for a month for vacation .  We were so put to work driving skitters, forklifts, knuckle booms and what ever else we could touch the petals on.  I thought my uncle was crazy for letting a 10 and 12 year old boys drive a skitter around in the woods pull log. It was the most fun I ever had.  And one of my best memories is sitting the tire of that skitter eating lunch and drinking a pepsi as I watch one of my cousin sharpen his saw agints a tree.  Fast forward 10 years and I move from the back of the garbage truck to the front. All the way under the hood. I became a diesel mechanic .  I went back to my uncles mill one last time before he passed away and on  that trip I meet my wife of 17 years .  We lived in Austin were I was a diesel mechanic. After years of greasy hands and the smell of diesel smoke I decided to try something new.  I was offed a job at a chemical plant on the gulf coast.   So we packed up the kids and moved to my wife's home town of Sweeny.  We been here for three years now and I'm only 5 or 6 miles from my uncles sawmill. (now run by my cousin).  So when im off I now speed most of my time at the mill working on the equipment.  I teach my cousin about engine and he is trying to teach me about the sawmill.   So I have been poking around this site for a while now and seeing what I can learn.     I don't know a lot about his mill in detail.  But I do know it is a circluer saw blade . I think he said 60in blade.  It has a 3 knee mantel and he can cut up to 24ft. It power by an 8v71 Detroit ( that I will soon be replacing with an 8v92t.)  his money maker is cutting pipe skids. (4x6x8 hard wood).    I have really taking in intersess in the mill and may be asking yall for some help from time to time.  I'll gets some photos of his mill if anyone is interested .  And if anyone need help with there diesel engine maybe I can be of help to them.  Thanks for your time and sorry about the long story of my life.   Thanks adam

DanG

Quote from: Astark on May 25, 2012, 01:33:40 AM
  I'll get some photos of his mill if anyone is interested . 

Welcome to the forum, Adam!  That's about as close as you'll ever come to a silly question around here! :D :D

No need to apologize for the long intro.  I found it to be an enjoyable read.  Looking forward to more. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

Like they guys say, Welcome  :)

We like pictures of interesting sawmills, and well anything interesting really.

Please take the time to read the photo posting tutorial in the "behind the forum" section and add in some pictures.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawman

Welcome to the forum.
I think it has been said once or twice on here that we love pictures.
:) :) :) :) :) :)
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Chuck White

Hello Adam and welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Nice introduction.

I think you'll do both here, 1. ask questions, 2. give answers!

Lots of diesel engines on this web site!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Astark,welcome to the forum. We all like sawmills. Sounds like you had some fun playing with "toys" growing up. lucky you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF Adam.  A diesel mechanic could get real popular around here, quick like.    8).  I am reading that you got the sawdust  gene in your blood. ;). Maybe right next to the diesel gene. :).

One more thing, you like fishing?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Nice intro and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Astark.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Very nice introduction.  Welcome to the forum!   :)
Say when

tcsmpsi

Well, I read it twice, and still didn't find it too long.   ;D  In fact, for its short nature, we found out quite a bit.

Welcome to the forum! 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Astark! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

Nice story, I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to many more.  :)   Welcome!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

reride82

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Adam  8)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Bogue Chitto

Welcome Adam from Louisiana.

Astark

Thanks to eveyone for the warm welcome.   I will get photos and detail on my next trip to the sawmill.  Will be a few day till i can get back over there.    Thanks agin   Adam

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard Adam. You will enjoy the stay. bg

Woodwalker

Howdy neighbor. Welcome aboard.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Astark

trying my luck at posting pic.   

barko 885 feller.
Came in to the shop for p.m. before headed to next job. 

Astark

ok ladys and gents.   Yall said you like photos.  Here are just a few.  More in my album and more to come soon. enjoy.   If you see anything you like and want to know more about feel free to ask .  Im still learning about the mill. So any questions i will ask my cousin and maybe we can both learn from it.  Thanks Adam

He was extending the out feed belt by 1'1/2 to the help send the bored further down the line.   Mostly for safety

samandothers

Welcome!  Thanks for pictures. Your posts have been enjoyable to read over.  Sounds like you are having fun!

Thank You Sponsors!