iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooler shirts for summer

Started by Brad_bb, May 24, 2012, 11:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

It's gets pretty hot and humid here in IL. in the summer.  I've worn regular cotton T-shirts for years and I've always been hot and sweated plenty.  Well in preparation for a rafting trip I went to Bass Pro Shops.  I bought some of these new fangled tee shirts, long and short sleeve, with the fabric that breathes really well, wicks away moisture and has UV protection.  I like the Columbia brand ones best.  Although I was there in person, I think this one is one of the ones I bought:
http://www.basspro.com/Columbia-Skiff-Guide-III-TShirts-for-Men-Long-Sleeve/product/11083105011623/225249

When I first felt the fabric, it catches a little on my dry fingertips.  I didn't think they'd be comfortable, but I bought a couple anyway.  The shortsleeve one was on sale for $20.  Well let me tell you I love them!  They keep you way cooler than a regular old cotton Tee.  In fact, now I think that Cotton Tee's trap heat.  I wore the longsleeve one mowing on my tractor and was very comfortable.  It kept me cool and I was hardly sweating in almost 90 degree heat.  So I went back to Bass Pro shops and loaded up with a lot more of these shirts, some for working outside or in the shop and others to keep cleaner.  I like longsleeve to keep the sun off me when I'm mowing.  If you've never tired this modern fabric, try it! 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don_Papenburg

OK you have had them for four days now .  How do they hold up to ripping from getting snaged on thorns ,nails  or ends of angle iron?   Do they burn through from weld splatter or torchsparks?    For days is about the limit for me to have a good shirt last , before modification starts.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ironwood

I want to follow this as well. Keep us posted. I LOVE long sleeves "Mella-no-mo", and I gotta have at least severa lwide brimmed straw hat from TSC, or Agway.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

MHineman

My dad taught school and farmed.  He took his old "work shirts" from school (actually dress shirts) and wore those all summer.  All his shirts from school were a light color like light blue or white and all were long sleeved.
  I do the same now only I go to GoodWill and get mine.  I put on faded jeans, a long-sleeved shirt and a wide brimmed hat and I'm still going long after everyone else has wilted.
  The tight weave fabric holds up amazingly well, while the light weight lets plenty of air move through.  I also like the collar on the shirt to reduce the amount of my neck exposed to the sun compared to a T-shirt.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

metalspinner

Brad,
I have switched to these shirts, too.  In addition to wicking away the moisture, they dry rapidly. I have been using them in the workshop and they have been proving to be just as tough as the regular cotton tee. I just spent the last week hiking and rockhounding and they still are holding up.

Cotton takes a long time to dry out.  I have switched to light weight wool socks when working outdoors with my boots.  Cotton socks get wet from sweat and collapse in thickness then start rubbing causing blisters.  The wool stays fluffy and breathes even after getting soaked.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Brad_bb

Ok, I've been wearing them for a handful of days now.  I purchased two different weave types when I bought these shirts.  One of the weave types does seem to catch on things every now and then and run a thread.  I'd still use it though.  The other type is a smoother/finer weave and didn't have any snag with that type yet.  I'll see if I can get a good close up pic.  I would not wear either one welding.  They are polyester and would melt from a hot weld BB.

I'm now even more convinced that these are the right choice for summer- cooler, dry fast/wick away moisture - very comfortable and it's been over 90F for a couple days. 

bill m

I bought 2 of these shirts at Tractor Supply - $12.99 each. So far I can't see why I would ever want to go back to wearing cotton t-shirts.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

bill m,what are these shirts at TS called. Kinda pricey,money is tight, but I like to be cool too if they work like you guys are saying. Do you wear them cutting wood bill? Just want to know if they will hold up to the abuse.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

$12.99 is pricey?  You can't hardly buy a quality cotton tee for that.  You may pay $8 for an elcheap at Target or Walmart, but I wouldn't call those heavy or quality cotton.

There is a trade off.  I think cotton would take more abuse as far as abrasion.  But for the 3.5 months of the year when it's hot, the lightweight, cooling and drying effects are worth it in my opinon.  And I'll pay more for quality.  It makes a difference in your day.

Here is the more loose knit shirts.  You can see a couple snags on the blue one from one day.  There's actually a thread in the back that caugh and pulled bigger.  Still good shirts, perfect for mowing, but probably not best around the mill, as it can catch on wood or any sharp thing.

This tighter weave seems to be less prone to snag and great for staying cool, wicking away moisture, and sun protection.

bill m

The shirts I bought at TS are Walls work wear high visibility orange. It has been in the upper 80s this week and I have been wearing them in the woods while chopping. They seem like they are going to hold up very well.

lumberjack48

I wore white long sleeve dress shirts from Good Well [$1.00] with no t-shirt, over all the yrs i found to be the best.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

thecfarm

brad,maybe you have money,I don't.I don't even have a job. The way my clothes are in my house,I wear them until they start to look kinda old than they become work clothes. I not in the habit of buying work clothes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patty

I like the idea of the long sleeve "dress" shirts from Goodwill. I love getting a dark tan in the summer, especially after all the years of being lilly white from office time. But I can certainly see the bad effects of the sun on my skin. I try to remember to wear sun blocker, spf 50 or above and can really tell the difference when I do. By not burning, I have the ability to stay out for longer periods of time, but I know the era of dark tans will be over for me soon, and I will have to find an alternative. Goodwill is one of my favorite stores to shop, I may have to give the long sleeve cotton shirt a try. I remember my grampa always wore a long sleeve white shirt, and a pith helmet to keep the sun off.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Cypressstump

Good report on the new tee's. I may try one or two out myself soon, as the S. Louisiana heat is turning up at a fast pace... :(

When I was breaking out in the construction world as an Ironworker, The older hands were wearing long sleeve denim and khaki shirts during the summer months as well as winter.I thought they were nuts during the suffocating Louisiana summer heat until I tried it as well.Once wet with sweat, they acted as coolers when moisture was evaporating and were not as bad as I thought.

These days I try and tend to not get as hot and sweaty,, but somehow that ain't working out as great as planned.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

thecfarm

I'm on my way to TS now. Hope they have them.

Ron Wenrich

I remember that when it got hot, my Granddad used to go to short sleeved long johns.  He used to wear a long sleeved dress shirt all the time.  He was a carpenter and cabinet maker.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

lumberjack48

I seen the old Finn's out in the hot hay field, they wore one piece wool long under ware, under a plaid shirt with bibs. they swore by it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

thecfarm

They had them. They only had the high visibility,what I would call lime green,no orange there. probably will get an orange one for the hunting season. My wife thinks I will get shot working in the woods. That green sure does show up good.The front will tone down when I start digging rocks.Was a cool day here so did not have a day to really try it out. The shirt does feel good.I just wonder how long it will last me.

bill m

I just bought 2 more today- 1 green and 1 orange.

thecfarm

Was an odd days for temps. I was kinda looking for a sweat shirt before heading down into the woods. I thought I'll be warm enough cutting. I think the temp went up 20 degrees in 20 minutes. When I came up to the house for lunch I put The Shirt on. Made a difference that was sure. A regular t shirts sticks to me after a while,this one did not a bit. Looks like I will be asking for some early birthday presents. I had to buy a medium to fit me, my t shirts are all X large. Made a believer out of me.

sparky1

Those types of shirts are about the only kind I buy for good or work. They do an excellent job of keeping me dry and cool. Ive always seemed to have an over active sweat glands or something and these really seem to help. I typically buy under armor, addidas, and Nike brand ones.  They are actaully not to expensive if you get them when on sale or last years items.
Shaun J

thecfarm

I'm not a big shopper person. But I will be on the look out now. My last big buy was heavy socks ,2 pair for a dollar. Bought all they had,6-7 packages.

Brad_bb

I have a cousin in the T-shirt/garment business.  He sells wholesale to those that print them etc.  Saw him at the family picnic yesterday and I asked him if these new polyester type shirts are becoming more popular and he said definitely.  He said they are great for keeping you cool and wicking away moisture.  Cotton used to be touted as the best about 10 years ago(remember the commercial campaign?), but in truth, cotton sucks compaired to the wicking and cooling properties of these newer type of polyester shirts.  There's one down side, he told me, the wicking property will eventually go away after a certain number of washings.  Apparently the polyester is treated somehow to have the wicking property.  Once it goes away, then you have a polyester shirt that will hold moisture like cotton. Found that interesting.   So wash them per the directions and don't use softener. 
     I also asked what the wholesale cost was compared to cotton and he said it just under twice as much, which is why cotton is still by far most used for printed T's.  It's when a company buys them for employees etc that they may spend the extra money. 

Magicman

I got three Walls shirts from here, LINK.  They are Hi-Vis, but I have no idea whether they will wick away sweat, because I have not worn one while sawing yet.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

They kinda look like mine. I hope you got a medium. You look about my size. Mine are keeping me dry in the 85-90° temps we have been having.Cheaper too.

Thank You Sponsors!