iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2000 Timberjack 460 dual arch skidder

Started by ilog4u2, May 24, 2012, 06:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilog4u2

I need someone who owns or works on timberjack skidders to help me with a problem. I just bought it and the winch works as it should as long as your in neutral , the pto shaft turns all the time and I'm wondering if this is normal.when you put the winch lever to the 3 or carry position the brake from the winch holds the tractor so it won't move.

kiko

Is this a John/jack(460d) or a straight 460. A sraight 460 prop shart should only turn when winch is activated. 460d prop shaft turns all the time. If it a straight 460 and prop shaft turns all the time you could have a bad winch solonoid or a winch clutch problem which is located inside the trans. More info on the tractor would help.

ilog4u2

Thanks Kiko for the reply. I believe it's a straight TJ 460 The owners manual I got with it though says John Deere ? The PTO shaft does come from the top/ back of the trans and there is a 6 position valve with cylinoids bolted to it. There is a pretty good blow up picture and description of it on the bottom of the cab, (tilted).The previous owner didnt use the winch and remedied the problem by removing the power shaft. The linkage from the cab to the winch is strictly linkage but hydraulic lines supply oil from out of the trans. We are thinking that the shaft should only turn when pulling in your load.We have a blow up picture of the guts of the PTO inside and it does have a series of clutches... These evidently aren't clutching??

kiko

After looking it up you are correct , the winch is cable operated. The winch shaft should only turn when powering in. When you activated the winch control valve, this valve applies presuure to the trans to engage the winch clutch and to release the winch brake. To determine what is the cause of the cont rotation of the winch shaft , find the clutch engagement hose and cap and plug it( winch lever in nuetral position) if winch shaft still turns problem it is internal trans failure. If not it is in the winch valve.

Bobus2003

Our TJ450 Has the same issue.. We removed the PTO Shaft to the winch as our solution also, but we never use a winch

ilog4u2

Thank you for the info. I really need this thing to work ,as we do mostly selectcutting . We will remove the cylinoid housing and check all the O rings first.. We found 1 already with O rings gone. Could this be allowing oil pressure locking the power shaft?

ilog4u2

Also we had the winch control valve off and it has Allen head looking plugs with little orifice holes in them... I wondered if someone else moved these around maybe??? Any chance of a diagram in your book?

kiko

I have the factory service manual so it should, buy I won,t be anywhere near the book for a couple of days. From what I looked at this morning I believe two lines ( three if you count the drain line) connecting winch to trans. The pressure feed line comes off the bottom of the solonoid block on the trans tail shaft and the winch clutch line goes to somewhere around the trans shift valve which is located on the side of the trans torque convertor housing.

ilog4u2

Kiko, Thank you for your time on this , we will try plugging off the clutch line then on Tuesday and see what happens and I will post you back. Thanks again, Myron

ilog4u2

We. plugged and capped the line and the PTO shaft still turned. So we removed the power shaft housing and inspected the internals and they all looked fine. At this point it's looking like internal trans failure so we are looking for a service manual,has anyone tackled this problem that can offer any sugestions? Myron

ilog4u2

OK got the book from local John Deere dealer.I'm gonna learn all about a 460 winch AND transmission I'm afraid .haven't made a dollar with this machine yet... What have I got myself in to??

ilog4u2

Still working on getting the trans out . Very big job. Wondering if anyone knows if the trans will come out independent of the torque converter?or must this  come out as a whole???

kiko

It has to come out whole. Also don' t forget about the flex plate bolts, they must be removed on at a time through access hole by rolling the engine. You must first disassemble the torgue convertor in order to remove the torque housing. there is a snap ring the you have to keep expanded while removing the housing.

ilog4u2

Trans is out and on the floor. The clutch packs that control the winch were damaged, peeled off and seized together.I tried to post a picture or 2 but was unable to with I phone. Thanks Kiko for the help. I'll keep you posted

ilog4u2

Just in case anyone is interested.. The trans is repaired and back in the machine. I should have everything back together by Friday night, I'm hopping all the time, effort and money will pay off.This is my first Timberjack and it really is a well designed and built tractor.I just landed a nice job and am anxious to get to work .

snowstorm

Thank You Sponsors!