iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new(old) stihl 036

Started by pdoubleu, May 24, 2012, 11:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdoubleu

Hello. I recently bought a stihl 036, that runs well. I do some milling with an Alaskan, and rip chains from Bailey's. I've been waiting to find a larger used one,  but couldn't wait any longer. What I'm wondering is what can I do to get the most out of this saw, and keep it happy and healthy. I am handy, but have zero small engine experience. Any thoughts or opinions are most appreciated!

HolmenTree

I don't know how big your milling logs are or how much you mill, but the 036 is generally not an ideal milling saw.
A saw in the 90cc range like the 066/660 will handle almost anything you can throw at it. In my case I use a 066 , Husky 395XP and for the big stuff over 24-30" I use a 090AV at 137cc.

To pep up your 036 a simple muffler mod will help it out. Remove the muffler ,take it apart and either drill out the baffle holes larger or grind it out completely, then either enlarge the outlet hole or drill another hole equal to its size next to it. Maximum outlet size is 80% of the area of the cylinder's exhaust port gasket hole for a all out modified saw. 50% maximum is a size I recommend for your stock saw.

Make sure you richen the carb setting to eliminate the resulting lean condition.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

An 036 is a nice mid sized saw  but it isn't a mill saw .Aside from stumping milling is the hardest use on a saw there is and as such there is no substitute for displacement .

Like Willard pointed out at least 90 cc's .I've used a 2100 Homelite which is 114 cc ,a 125 McCulloch at 123 cc and an 048 Stihl at 76.5 cc .The first two did fine ,the Stihl which is larger than an 036 and a good cutter is not a good miller .

pdoubleu

Thanks fellas!  I had been wanting at least a 90cc, but circumstances dictated the largest one at the time (036). I seldom do milling, and mostly use a saw around the house as I live in the woods. The milling I do is small scale. For my work I don't really use boards wider than 12", and when I can I quarter saw with a bandsaw. So if I come across a log big enough, I only quarter it with a chainsaw. Still not ideal I'm sure,but that's what I've got. Holmen, is there a "common sense approach " to know the correct Carb setting? And thanks for the muffler mod advice!!

Clam77

Depending on where you live and how good your dealers are around you... you might be able to take that 036 and make a decent trade with it for a bigger saw...   ;)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

bill m

With the 036 being 4 generations old ( 036, 360, 361,362 ) I don't think a dealer would give you much for it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Al_Smith

Well that sounds nice but it won't happen .You gotta remember no matter if it's a saw,an automoble ,tractor ,a motorcycle or a beat up lawn mower  that dealer is going to make money both ways off a trade .

I'd keep the thing myself because an 036 is a nice saw .If you look around you can find a bigger saw  for a lot less than shelling out 1200 bucks for a new MS 660 .

HolmenTree

Quote from: pdoubleu on May 24, 2012, 01:11:18 PM
Holmen, is there a "common sense approach " to know the correct Carb setting? And thanks for the muffler mod advice!!
For overall "overall common sense" to correct carb settings, follow the owner manuals instruction of the standard setting for that saw model. On a warmed up saw  set the The L screw is richened [turned out anti clockwise] until all hesitation is gone when blipping the throttle. The H screw is richened with a slight roughness [break tone] at Wide Open Throttle held for a few seconds. Not a blubber and not a high pitched even tone. Set L first along with idle adjustment to idle screw , set H last. All 3 settings will effect each other.
Your owners manual will have the maximum rpm for your unit which can be set with a hand held tachometer.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

tyb525

I've milled 3 logs with an 036, up to 16" wide white oak boards :o VERY slow going, but it worked, and the saw didn't die. I also milled a 24" hard maple and 20" elm log. The saw is still running fine, although I recently sold it.

After torturing my self with the chainsaw mill, I got an LT10 8) World of difference, even with that small of bandmill. I wouldn't waste my time with a CSM again unless it was for WIDE slabs.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Cut4fun

I would keep the 036. Dealers are going to give you squat.

There is a 660 for sale on CL for $500 or best offer. I would look at going that route and find you a milling saw. Heck you can get 084 088 in that price range a lot of times too.

Al_Smith

Well just fiddley farten around salvaging a few planks here and there I'm sure an 036 would get it done .You're going to really "earn " the wood though .Even with a big saw including an 090 you're going to earn it .

It's an option some use and for that it does work .It's not my cup of tea so speak .However in some applications it's about the only option such as an enormous dead fall you can't move and is so large you can't cut it any other way except with a chainsaw .

Gerry B. talks about back in the day a few of the coast redwoods were so danged plump even the west coast monster bandsaws couldn't handle the logs . They had to be ripped with a chainsaw prior .

I just cannot imagine ripping a 20 foot log 9-10 feet or larger  in diameter with a chainsaw .Geeze just one rip cut that would take hours would fill a single axel dump truck full of chips .Wow !

pdoubleu

Well, I've got my little walnut logs in place ready to rip tomorrow, will let you guys know. Since the downturn in the economy, getting wood in my area is really hard to come by. Went from remove it, its yours to I want a grand,  and a few slabs from it. That's why I've been so hesitant unless I found a great deal. Hasn't happened yet. The time limit on What I have is almost up, hence 036.
@ Al. Definitely fiddling and farting.  Can't imagine back in the day with those big mothers!!

Al_Smith

Big what,saws? Truth be known they aren't that much lighter today than back in the day if you're talking large saws.

If for example you take 4 large displacement saws ,two old ,two new they all weight within about a pound of one another .Saws being McCulloch SP 125 ,Homelite 2100  ,Stihl 084 and Husqvarna 3120 .The Stihl is the lightest at 22 pounds 7 oz and the Mac  the heavy at 23 even .Now these are bare just power head weights ,no bar and chain, gas or oil .

Al_Smith

Oh say on that walnut for a grand someone must have lived through the acid wars of the 60's and still have residue from that in their system  to think somebody else would shell out a thousand bucks for a danged walnut .Good grief !
I've got one in my woods ,fairly nice about 100 feet and 30 plus inchs with 55-60 feet to the crotch .I doubt seriously that thing would fetch 200 bucks the tight wads around these parts .

pdoubleu

Al, by mothers I meant your comment about redwoods, not saw weight. let me know about your walnut. Ill definantly give you a couple sawbucks for it!!!! Our area did a poop job of replanting walnut/cherry, which are at an unbelievable price. I travel between 2-3 hours to get it for work. As far as the 036 and the milling... it went ok. Was it easy? Not at all, but we got through it together. The wood is beautiful and the saw has been semi retired. I got to where I liked it so much , it'll never mill again. ;D

Cut4fun

I've been bucking up some 10" to 12" beautiful dark black walnut into cookies just testing fixed saws in. Just using what I have on hand till I get some more wood.

Al_Smith

I cut those little piddley 8 -10 inch walnuts and cherry into fire wood .There isn't enough meat on those little ones to fool with  .Neither one is the greatest  fire wood either but it burns .Cherry smells nice though .

mad murdock

If you want top $$ for black walnut, most guys that specialize in it want the rootball intact to the first limb free stick(log).  That way they can maximize the curly grain by slicing up the rootball.  Most of the high $$ gunstock blanks come from that part of the walnut. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

tyb525

I think someone on the forum sold those cookies as stepping stones at some point.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!